Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #36826
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Looking for a new external harddrive, my 500gb is starting to fill up. Am I still right in the assumption that Western Digital is a good brand? Any other brands I should check out?
I'm using a BUFFALO MiniStation Stealth 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive I got on sale (dirt cheap since it's only USB 2.0) during one of Amazon's daily deals - no problems so far - I've got my Calibre library backed up on it.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #36827
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
OK, There is one blow up thing that I want, Ponch is giving Santa a speeding ticket in his sleigh. I want that one.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #36828
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just got home and feeling tired I'll probably hit the hay sooner rather than later.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #36829
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thought I'd check to see what's on the telly, and was very surprised and very encouraged when I saw the entry for Channel 49.5 (WPXVDT5):

Click image for larger version

Name:	This looks interesting.PNG
Views:	141
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	116616

That is, until I clicked on the show's title to get more information:

Name:	This looks interesting - NOT.PNG
Views:	125
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	116617

Aw, well! The boob tube lives on.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #36830
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm using a BUFFALO MiniStation Stealth 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive I got on sale (dirt cheap since it's only USB 2.0) during one of Amazon's daily deals - no problems so far - I've got my Calibre library backed up on it.
Better make a backup of that backup, Pooh...
I've got a 3 terabyte Buffalo drive that one day last month just decided to stop working. No data corruption... It just won't spin. The drive inside the case is a Seagate device, which I sent to Seagate to see if they could repair it. No such luck. The most they could do is data recovery for $600.00. Same results sending the drive to a place in Bangkok, but only $500 for them. I'm going to try changing the board (that will only set me back $50) and keep my fingers crossed. I thought it would be possible to 'rebuild' the drive, changing the platters into a new case, but as explained to me by both outfits, that's almost as difficult as brain surgery and would cost three times as much...

This is the first and only drive that I've had in twenty years to go south on me.

The only saving grace is that this drive, with the exception of some guitar tutorial Youtube videos, is all backup of backup. If changing the board doesn't bring it back to life, I will perform a 'magnet-ectomy' and add the super magnets to my collection.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #36831
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've got a 3 terabyte Buffalo drive that one day last month just decided to stop working. No data corruption... It just won't spin. The drive inside the case is a Seagate device, which I sent to Seagate to see if they could repair it. No such luck. The most they could do is data recovery for $600.00. Same results sending the drive to a place in Bangkok, but only $500 for them. I'm going to try changing the board (that will only set me back $50) and keep my fingers crossed. I thought it would be possible to 'rebuild' the drive, changing the platters into a new case, but as explained to me by both outfits, that's almost as difficult as brain surgery and would cost three times as much...

This is the first and only drive that I've had in twenty years to go south on me.

The only saving grace is that this drive, with the exception of some guitar tutorial Youtube videos, is all backup of backup. If changing the board doesn't bring it back to life, I will perform a 'magnet-ectomy' and add the super magnets to my collection.

Stitchawl
Thanks for the warning! Fortunately it's not my only backup - I'm too paranoid/possessive of my ebooks for that.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #36832
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Another typical weird planning thing of the council happened last night. First the gritter came by to scatter salt on the road because it was going to freeze during the night. An hour or so later the sweeper car, that always sweeps the streets on Thursday night, came by and swept up all the salt.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #36833
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
I've had some bad experiences with Seagate hdds in the past so I still try to avoid them.

Now you've all made me think about what type of external hdd I want. I've always had small portable ones that are easy to take with me. However, a network drive for general back-ups also sound very interesting, then I can keep my 500gb for when I need portability.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #36834
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Planning a nice Christmas gift for my parents.

They really liked the apartment my sister and I booked last month so we decided that we're paying for a weekend away for them in February or March. Usually they go to a holiday park further away and a lot more expensive but since they liked the views over the water and the fact there is a small supermarket they already said they want to try this park. The only drawback for my mother is that it's very close to where my father's billiard club, so she might have to spend the evenings alone, LOL.

I know my parents will protest, but I've already emailed a guy who used to work for us when he was in high school and he doesn't mind helping me out with the store on a Saturday, so there is really no reason for them not to go. Plus, after the fire and the recent Family Stuff (looks like that's going to work out, will post about it when it does) they deserve a weekend away (actually they deserve a longer vacation, but my father will never go away for longer than a weekend).
Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #36835
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Another typical weird planning thing of the council happened last night. First the gritter came by to scatter salt on the road because it was going to freeze during the night. An hour or so later the sweeper car, that always sweeps the streets on Thursday night, came by and swept up all the salt.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #36836
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That sums it up very well! Unfortunately this happens a lot during winter.

During the summer the council decided to repaint the lampposts. First someone came by to paint the base (so not the lampshade part) with a grey basecoat. A week or so later someone came by to paint the base black. At the bottom of the base is the shield of the city (red/white), a week after the base was painted someone came by with a small pot of paint to paint the shield white and and other couple of days later someone came by with a pot of red paint to paint half of the shield red.

Another one:
Yesterday two men with a cherrypicker came by to put up Christmas decoration on the lampposts. An hour later they removed them. Today the put one up again two lampposts down from us and another one three lampposts down from the first.

I assume they are bored and need to create work for themselves to keep busy.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #36837
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Just got back from my after dinner walk ... I can't feel my nose .... I layer up in hooded sweatshirt & winter jacket over lined ski pants ... guess I'll have to add baclava .... or is it a balaclava? You know ... that bank robber total head covering ... I don't have enough padding on my bones for insulation ...

In some parts of the business district where I work, the Xmas decorations are left on the lamp posts year round ... just lit during the holiday season ...
Old 12-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #36838
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
That sums it up very well! Unfortunately this happens a lot during winter.

During the summer the council decided to repaint the lampposts. First someone came by to paint the base (so not the lampshade part) with a grey basecoat. A week or so later someone came by to paint the base black. At the bottom of the base is the shield of the city (red/white), a week after the base was painted someone came by with a small pot of paint to paint the shield white and and other couple of days later someone came by with a pot of red paint to paint half of the shield red.

Another one:
Yesterday two men with a cherrypicker came by to put up Christmas decoration on the lampposts. An hour later they removed them. Today the put one up again two lampposts down from us and another one three lampposts down from the first.

I assume they are bored and need to create work for themselves to keep busy.
Sounds like your city planners take their marching orders from denizens of the Bizarro World.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #36839
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Sounds like your city planners take their marching orders from denizens of the Bizarro World.
You would think that!

I'm now planning a day out in January. It's very busy at the moment, and it will be until after the holidays so I think I deserve a day out next month. I'm thinking of going to the Efteling themepark, it's been a while and I always love how they decorate it during winter.

I had agreed with my sister that we would go to the Efteling together, but I'm hesitant to ask her because I'm in need of a day out on my own. Not only to be selfish and do what I want to do but after the busy November/December season I just need to be on my own for a bit.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #36840
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I just looked at some of the pictures from the Efteling themepark. Looks like a lot of fun and thrills, not to mention homes I'd love to live in. That third house looks like just about the right size, but I like the style of the first two better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Efteling%2B035.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	116681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Efteling_9.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	116682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Efteling-2012-05-13-at-16-22-14.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	896.9 KB
ID:	116683  

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?