Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
littleezza
littleezza began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo freezing help

Is anyone else having freezing problems?

My boyfriend bought me an Kobo ereader about a month ago. He gave it to me on Wednesday and I have started using it. I am having a problem with it freezing and not turning pages. I will be reading and when I go to turn the page it will not turn and I cannot go back to the home page or menu. It does not do anything. I then restart it, but when I go back to the book it goes back to the place it was on the last start up and not where it froze. It is brand new so I am not sure if this should be happening or not. I havent even managed to get through one book and it has happened 4 times

I went back to factoy settings and reset them on the Kobo and then put all my books on again. It worked for Sunday night but then yesterday started freezing up again. Not only when im reading but even when im just waiting for it to load a book. I have been reading heaps, but thats what its for so can't see that being a problem.

I use Calibre. Could it be a problem with the converted epubs or more likely the Kobo I got was a dud?

Id really appreciate any help.

Thanks
littleezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
it's always a possibility that it may be badly formatted epub books. a couple of questions though

- have you made sure you have the latest firmware? latest is 1.9
- do you have the the same problem if you try to read one of the pre-loaded books?
- have you tried to download a book from kobobooks (even one of the free ones) and again experienced the same problems.

If you haven't tried the above, you can, but it also wouldn't hurt to bring it back to exchange for another if it's only a month or so old.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
littleezza

Im not sure about the firmware. How do I find that out? I will try one of the pre loaded books and see what happens.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
littleezza

Ok so i tried flicking through the Sherlock Homes pre loaded book and that freezed too. Once I reset it froze on the opening loading page and then when i reset again it froze on the im reading page and only reset when I plugged it into charge.

This definantly doesnt sound normal for one that is 6 months old let alone one I have only been using for a week
Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
The only time my old Kobo has frozen on me has been when it's run out of juice. Yours is a newer model, so I'd think it would work even better. Honestly, if it's not a firmware issue it's abnormal behaviour and I'd just exchange it. (Don't remember how to check firmware version, but I remember it being displayed in Settings... or About.)

Last edited by viviena; 06-14-2011 at 02:27 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
littleezza

When I went into the About section it had software and I think it had 1.7. But I cant work out how to update it. When I connect it and open Kobo on desktop I update library but I cant find an option for firmware update.

I read what was written about what the new updates can do and I think mine can do all that. So im even more confused now haha.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What Kobo are you using? Original (ie bluetooth) or Wifi?

What version of Desktop is installed?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleezza View Post
When I went into the About section it had software and I think it had 1.7. But I cant work out how to update it. When I connect it and open Kobo on desktop I update library but I cant find an option for firmware update.

I read what was written about what the new updates can do and I think mine can do all that. So im even more confused now haha.

there are two ways you can get the update; you can connect wireless and it should automatically update when you try to update your library (an account with kobo books is necessary I do believe), or you can connect to the desktop software and update there. One thing that I don't know is if they are still not pushing the updates as soon as you connect, or if you have to keep hitting sync (update?).

However, if this seems a little too technical (and trust me, sometimes it feels like jumping through hoops, even for IT people ), you might just want to swap it for a new one.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
musicman2523
Groupie
musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook iq 701
someone posted somewhere that the new kobo desktop files had to be updated before it would work correctly. This assumes you have the new touch.
musicman2523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #10
littleezza

I have the Wifi one. Poor guy bought it a month before they started advertising the touch . I have the latest Kobo desktop I think as I only got it when I got the Kobo. I have been on a few times and 'Updated Library' but nothings even said about it doing anything to the firmware.

I am going to exchange it. I am waiting for the prepaid box they are supposed to send me. Abit frustrated though because yesterday it was even worse and didnt even reset when I tried too. Would only do it if I plugged it in to charge. Then it was freezing on the first screen and on the im reading screen. So hopefully its a dud and im not the dud. Im not an expert with computers but know enough to get by so think its the Kobo. Figers crossed whatever they do will be ok. Just annoying because I have to wait and the guy told me when I rang they send a replacement and then I send my old one back, but the email said I send mine to them and they either replace or repair so not sure which will happening. Hoping its the former as Id prefer not to be without it.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #11
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
Unfortunately I can tell you from experience (my first kobo had a battery problem) that it will be a you send it to them and they fix/replace it and ship it back. The good news is that when I did it I had mine back in less than a week.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote