Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Possible to reduce bandwidth

DSL modem.

It appears that when Calibre is running a job, it really grabs a hunk of what I will call bandwidth (for want to a better understanding of what I'm talking about) and makes it hard for other inet apps to do much or slows them down a lot. For instance at this time, Calibre is emailing a file (gocomics, sort of large) to my k3. The other half was trying to check her email but having a rough time of it. She is using a different computer but the same router/modem using wifi.

Is there a control to slice and dice the amount of time/bytes/whatever that Calibre it using and apportion it out to other apps.

I did a quick search but did not see anything and since a job is running I cannot get to Preferences at this time.

Thanks in advance

Oh, PS: yes, Calibre is normally set to run overnight but something interferred and so it is running in "prime" time. And this has been necessary occasionally so an answer for allocating would still be helpful.

Last edited by FF2; 01-03-2011 at 12:20 AM.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What you're looking for QoS routing. Most advanced routers allow you to throttle the traffic from any given client connected to the network.

calibre itself has no bandwidth throttling code.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm googling as I type. My router is possibly a bit older Linksys so I will check it out.

Again, thanks.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm googling as I type. My router is possibly a bit older Linksys so I will check it out.
Depending on the model/version of your Linksys it may well be possible to flash it with a third party router software. I flashed mine with DD-wrt and it has QoS routing.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
FF2
Wizard

Actually, exploring around I found it does have such settings under, I believe, its GAMING settings.

What I'm not clear on is whether it will throttle back the entire COMPUTER or can I select Calibre (or other apps). I can see if one has a dedicated Calibre-computer, throttling it back but since I'm also using the same computer for browsing the web and email, I would not want it very slow for those other needs. But maybe I would not notice unless I'm downloading a big attachment or file.

If you have any info on that aspect, I'd appreciate it (I did a bit of googling last night but came up with very technical papers). I guess I could experiment

Thanks for any additional info/help.
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
QoS routing usually works with ports+ip addresses. So you can throttle for example, the email port (25) and leave the web browsing port (80) alone. You can do application specific QoS also, but that is usually done with a firewall on the computer running the application and is somewhat more complex to setup.

On linux you would use iptables, I don't know what you would use on other OSes.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote