Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
grapiuna
grapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notes

Device: Have Onyx Boox M96 (Had KoboGlo, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-900, Kindle).
Help from M96 users

Hi,
I have a M96 universal and want some tips about apps and configuration.
What are your firmware?
I have Moon reader but did not like it on M96, is there some config?
I saw a friend with a samsung phone with a screen all black and white to save energy. Do we have something like this? Because it would be very nice because the apps have colors that are not rendered well in M96.
I hope we can change experiences because the posts that have more movement are related to newer products.
Thanks
grapiuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Hello.

I'm extremelly interested on this! I recently bought a M96+ to the German distributor, he visits and participates this forum too!

I bought it because it's the 9+" ereader that I can afford. Another important reason is because it's hackable and easier to install software, contrary to Amazon devices.

I'm very interested in KOreader, it seems a very promising project. I really hope it becomes a multiplatform project, even for desktop and other non-eink devices. There's hope, the Cool Reader author is interested in an unforking process.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
grapiuna
grapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notes

Hi timofonic,
I do not like Amazon and Sony devices, I had both. The Kobo's are nice but the screen size is very important to me.
I will try the KOreader, thanks!
What other apps are you using?
Cheers
Old 12-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
@grapiuna

I received the device very recently and had not so much time to test it.

I'm very extremelly disappointed with the default firmware:

- Google Handwriting crashes all time.
- Browser crashes and uses an outdated engine that doesn't work with all sites.
- Pale Moon is unusable. It's my preferred browser of choice.

I forgot to read the messages and these days I'm quite stressed, I need to relax. I found this message:

Quote:
Hello,
your order has been shipped today. I replaced the regular pen with the big pen for free in your package.

Best Regards,
Waldemar
Customer service
Thanks a lot. I just hope I can solve my firmware issues. Sorry for all the trouble I caused.

I tried KOread just a bit, but it looks promising.

It supports lots of formats.

Weird stuff like high contrast (I like it that way!).
Different syncing wayseven some way of local syncing to other KOreader users).
They are stubborn about being an eink targeted software, but I would replace a native desktop version of it on all my computer platforms: Sumatra PDF is okaish, but Linux needs a few apps because I still need to find one.

Anyway, I would prefer one multiplatform app on all my systems with these features than very different ones. That's what coolreader was after it, but develpment got slow down, it forked massively and not evolved like KOreader, KOreader can be the new CoolReader Reborn

I just hope they get better at the PR, because the program is currently obscure to locate. This software needs more support, I think even ereader manufacturers and distributors should help the project to grow.

I suggested a forum section on the forum and directly over a privmsg to the site owner. Others did it previously. The site owner is practically MIA, I didn't find a reply from him: If he's so busy, I hope he delegates some duties to skilled and trusted forum members.

I wonder why ebook reader comoanies keep stubborn at closed source software. I understand DRM lovers (publishers, Adobe) demand it, but well.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
grapiuna

Do have some news about your experience now?
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
@grapiuna

I received the device very recently and had not so much time to test it.

I'm very extremelly disappointed with the default firmware:

- Google Handwriting crashes all time.
- Browser crashes and uses an outdated engine that doesn't work with all sites.
- Pale Moon is unusable. It's my preferred browser of choice.

I forgot to read the messages and these days I'm quite stressed, I need to relax. I found this message:

Thanks a lot. I just hope I can solve my firmware issues. Sorry for all the trouble I caused.

I tried KOread just a bit, but it looks promising.

It supports lots of formats.

Weird stuff like high contrast (I like it that way!).
Different syncing wayseven some way of local syncing to other KOreader users).
They are stubborn about being an eink targeted software, but I would replace a native desktop version of it on all my computer platforms: Sumatra PDF is okaish, but Linux needs a few apps because I still need to find one.

Anyway, I would prefer one multiplatform app on all my systems with these features than very different ones. That's what coolreader was after it, but develpment got slow down, it forked massively and not evolved like KOreader, KOreader can be the new CoolReader Reborn

I just hope they get better at the PR, because the program is currently obscure to locate. This software needs more support, I think even ereader manufacturers and distributors should help the project to grow.

I suggested a forum section on the forum and directly over a privmsg to the site owner. Others did it previously. The site owner is practically MIA, I didn't find a reply from him: If he's so busy, I hope he delegates some duties to skilled and trusted forum members.

I wonder why ebook reader comoanies keep stubborn at closed source software. I understand DRM lovers (publishers, Adobe) demand it, but well.