Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
coke_o
coke_o began at the beginning.

Device: nook
epub file is too wide to view on nook

i have a few epub files that are too wide to view on my nook. If I change the font size to a smaller setting, the text gets too small where I can't read it. Any of you encounter this trouble before? If so, any suggested solutions to fix this?

I've tried exporting it to pdf using Calibre and then reimporting the pdf file onto my nook. The issue with that was that after about page 13, all of the rest of the pages were blank.

I tried exporting it to txt but that removes the whole look of the book. It jams all of the text together.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

coke_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
I suggest using an ePub editor such as Sigil to edit the file and change the margins as you see fit. It's a little tedious, but it'll git 'er dun.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Are you saying that the lines of text extend beyond the width of the screen? If so, that is rather odd because ePubs are supposed to reflow text. If you are experiencing lines of text that are too long to fit the width of the page, then the formatting of the ePub is very poor. The only thing that comes to mind is that the html from which the ePub is compiled must have the text placed in a table where the table or table column width is defined too large. Even then, I would have expected the ePub reader to overlook that formatting, but you never know. If possible, you should look at the html and/or CSS to see what is wrong. In the CSS look for a width statement within the BODY tag, and remove it if it exists. Once again I would expect the reader to ignore a width parameter, but who knows what it might do.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
I've had a couple do that. I used open office and changed them to rtf then converted to epub again.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If the ePub file contains text in "<PRE>" tags then it won't line-wrap. This is the correct behaviour for such tags.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
coke_o

I ended up exporting to rtf, changing page size and converting to epub for one of the books but it takes too long and doesnt look right. I was hoping that there would be a better solution out there. Thanks though.

Last edited by coke_o; 01-06-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
coke_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkel View Post
I've had a couple do that. I used open office and changed them to rtf then converted to epub again.
That's basically what I ended up doing. Looks too funny though.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
coke_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If the ePub file contains text in "<PRE>" tags then it won't line-wrap. This is the correct behaviour for such tags.
How do I know if the file contains text in "<PRE>"?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
coke_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
I suggest using an ePub editor such as Sigil to edit the file and change the margins as you see fit. It's a little tedious, but it'll git 'er dun.
Do you have instructions on how to edit the margins on Sigil? I'm currently using Calibre. Just started using it so I'm not too attached to any particular application.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
coke_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Are you saying that the lines of text extend beyond the width of the screen? If so, that is rather odd because ePubs are supposed to reflow text. If you are experiencing lines of text that are too long to fit the width of the page, then the formatting of the ePub is very poor. The only thing that comes to mind is that the html from which the ePub is compiled must have the text placed in a table where the table or table column width is defined too large. Even then, I would have expected the ePub reader to overlook that formatting, but you never know. If possible, you should look at the html and/or CSS to see what is wrong. In the CSS look for a width statement within the BODY tag, and remove it if it exists. Once again I would expect the reader to ignore a width parameter, but who knows what it might do.
How do i look at the html and/or CSS?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
coke_o

Thanks all of you for replying. I probably should have replied to all of you on one post but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke_o View Post
How do i look at the html and/or CSS?
You can do that in Calibre. Right click with your mouse on your book. Then select Tweak ePub. Then select Explode ePub.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
coke_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
You can do that in Calibre. Right click with your mouse on your book. Then select Tweak ePub. Then select Explode ePub.
What do I do after I select explode ePub?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke_o View Post
What do I do after I select explode ePub?
Check out this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=tweak+epub
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
coke_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Ok so here's what I got. The .css file has the following:

@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; .calibre {

display: block;

font-size: 1em;

margin-bottom: 0;

margin-left: 5pt;

margin-right: 5pt;

margin-top: 0;

padding-left: 0;

padding-right: 0;

page-break-before: always

} .calibre1 {

display: block

} .calibre2 {

display: block;

font-family: monospace;

margin-bottom: 1em;

margin-left: 0;

margin-right: 0;

margin-top: 1em;

white-space: pre

}

Can any of this be causing the text not to wrap? If so, what can I edit? As soon as I figure out how, I will post a pic of how the book looks.