Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
jantzde
jantzde began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
New to eBooks - How do you afford the downloads?

Hi everyone,

My daughter gave me a PRS-505 and now I'm trying to figure out not only where to download digital books (besides the Sony store) but also how I'm going to afford to fill it up?

I'm sorta used to getting used paperbacks and hardcover books via Amazon marketplace for $1 to $5 and every download I check out has a price tag of $9.xx. But I do want the convenience of travelling with several books without the weight or bulk of the tradtional medum.

I've been scouring this forum looking for some direction but it is kinda informaion overload as a newbie. (For instance....should I get Calibre?)

I did read where Sony offers 100 classics, but the genres I like are romance, thrillers, mysteries, and sci-fi and being such an avid reader i've either read the ones Sony offers or am not interested in reading them.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or offer some links or advice I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks.
Debby
jantzde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Try the free resources like your local library (they may offer ebooks), project Gutenberg, or this very site - click the "E-books" link at the top of this page.

There are other retailers too, others can chime in on those.

I have never tried the Sony software so maybe it's OK for what you need. My Kindle has no library management software so I use Calibre as my library manager. It works great!
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Debby... Hi.. and welcome.

Your best bet is to keep your eyes open and make sure to follow the deals and freebees thread. There are alot of books given away or very cheap ($1) if you keep an eye out. Granted you would have to read what is available, but alot of the books are very good.

Take a look in our Wiki for places to get content https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

And also for places with free books https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

In addition there are several thousands of books in our d/l section. Click on the "E-Books" like in the blue menu bar at the top of every page here. If you like mysteries, have you read all the Sherlock Holmes books?

Finally you are able to borrow books from the Library with your Sony. Not everyone has a local library that has alot of ebooks. But, for $100 a year you can get a non-resident NY library card. They have ALOT of ebooks... this would be a way to get the more contemporary books for free (almost.) Once again, check our Wiki at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

Hth,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
I've had my 505 for almost 2 months and haven't had to buy a book yet. (Too many books for free here that I want to read 1st)
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
May I also suggest http://www.feedbooks.com, excellent novels in the Public Domain and under Creative Commons Licenses (all free). I've found some new favourite authors from that site.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantzde View Post
Hi everyone,

My daughter gave me a PRS-505 and now I'm trying to figure out not only where to download digital books (besides the Sony store) but also how I'm going to afford to fill it up?
[SNIP]
(For instance....should I get Calibre?)
YES! It's much friendlier than the Sony software, does more, and has a responsive developer who actually fixes bugs. You lose only two things: can't shop at the Sony book store (small loss!), and Calibre can't pre-paginate .lrf and lrx books for you (where the Sony software does).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantzde View Post
I did read where Sony offers 100 classics, but the genres I like are romance, thrillers, mysteries, and sci-fi and being such an avid reader i've either read the ones Sony offers or am not interested in reading them.
[SNIP]
For SF and Fantasy, try heading over to the Baen Free Library, where you will find 80+ SF and Fantasy novels absolutely free. Then go over to WebScriptions.net, where they'll be happy to sell you eCopies of anything Baen has published in the past 10 years or so. Each month they offer another bundle of 6-to-8 books (at least 4 guaranteed never before in bits) for $15 -- drives the price waaaaay down. If Baen's output is not to your taste, Webscriptions is now offering content from 3 or 4 smaller publishers. Books from Tor are expected to show up "real soon now"* as well.

Xenophon

* Nobody on the outside knows the definition of "real soon now." Comments last summer suggested a timeline that would have meant they'd go live early this year, but it hasn't happened yet. That said, all players have claimed that the legal and business issues are nailed down and any remaining holdups have to do with making sure that things are done right (in terms of execution).
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Satans Puppet
Enthusiast
Satans Puppet doesn't litterSatans Puppet doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PR(whusit)505
Have to say I don't understand why some new ebook releases take into account the hardcover price... We don't get the cover so why pay the extra? LOL
Satans Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's why.

Anyways, I've had my Sony since Christmas and never had to buy a book yet. Between the public domain books and the special offers by Sony (I got the James Bond cover, so I got two free Bond downloads), I've got my reading set up for a long, long time.

Also, you can do google searches for Sony coupons (or wherever you're shopping) and can get some good deals rannging from 10-60% off I think.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Hi,

I have a sony prs-505 too and I like reading romance books also. I belong to two libraries with ebook collections, and have found several books that I want to read. I'm also considering joining the NYPL. I also have done searches on google for free ebooks, and try to sign up for email notices at all the stores that have formats compatible with the 505. I signed up with BooksOnBoard, and just for signing up, I got a 32% off coupon...so with that and the sale they were having...I was able to get 5 romance books for $23.82. Now, I just have to find the time to read them.

I tend to buy alot of books anyway, so I basically came to the conclusion that I'll find as many free books as I can, but I will also buy books when I'm able to. I also want to start reading some of the Romance Classics--which are free.

And I'm not sure if you know this, but if you go to eharlequin.com they have 16 free ebooks that you can download. That was the very first thing I did.

Hope I helped.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Hi Debbie, and welcome!

I'd support Xenophon's recommendation of Baen books, and those suggestions made by InlawBiker and PilotBob.

I'd also recommend keeping an eye on fictionwise as it has some very good deals from time to time.

You might also recommend you to check out Steve Jordan's books on his website; he's often found about this forum.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
jantzde
jantzde began at the beginning.

WoW --Lots of suggestions. Thanx everyone!!

A big THANK YOU to all of you who answered!

You've given me lots of leads to follow up on and I'll certainly do that. I'm so encouraged to hear so many of you admit you haven't had to buy an ebook yet.

I was about to think my daughter had given me a very nice paperweight. *wink* Because after checking out the price of ebooks I just didn't see me using it much.

Then I turned to the friendly folks on this forum and........well I'm just kinda blown away from so many responses with such wonderful suggestions.

Again Thank you.

And I'll definitely DL Calibre and use it.

Debby
jantzde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you haven't yet you'll want to grab the current freebie's Sony has in their store while they last...

Mysteries/Thrillers
Persuader: A Jack Reacher Novel - by Lee Child
Knife Music - by David Carnoy

SciFi/Fantasy
His Majesty's Dragon - by Naomi Novik
Blood Engines - by T.A. (Tim) Pratt
Assassin's Apprentice: The Farseer, Book One - by Robin Hobb
Red Mars - by Kim Stanley Robinson

There are also the sixteen free romances Harlequin is offering, which for some reason are no longer free in the Sony store. You can get them from...
http://www.harlequincelebrates.com
the epub versions should work great on your 505, but if for some reason they don't you can download the MS Reader versions and Calibre will convert them in about 30 seconds.

If you're used to buying books used then you're going to encounter a lot of books that will seem expensive.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

If you like romance, go to that section and search by price (low to high). There are a TON of books under $5. Harlequin has some shorts that are $.99, as well as their monthly stuff. Kensington (Zebra) has a lot too. Also check out the bundles. They usually have some very good prices.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Caution: Some of the above free books are designed to get you hooked on the series. His Majesty's Dragon and Assassin's Apprentice (mentioned above) I found to be very good ... and I then went and bought more of both series's. But I only buy one at a time, when I'm ready to read them. There are so many other free books that I can read a free book till I have time to download a paid book in a series!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #15
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Hey thanks for mentioning Kensington Ebooks. I didn't know about that. I added that to my ebook bookmarks. They had alot of books in the Romance section that looked good to me.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote