Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
I just stumbled across one of my all time fav reads from my much younger days. It is a silly work by L. Sprague deCamp titled The Complete Enchanter. It's a very light SF/Fantasy style but is silly enough not to take itself seriously yet seriously enough to not be insulting, does that make sense?

Anyway, it seems several authors got together and not only revitalized the original but also have moved forward with new titles resurrecting our hero Harold Shea (one of the reasons I went into mathematics as a field of study...seriously before that my love for it was something I hid away from public view in anything other than math classes).

Here is a link. I have only now downloaded the newest title as well as the refreshed/re-published original but after reading the forward/intro to the classic, see zero reason they both will not be fun. I do remember the original left me always wanting more. Heck they even for me to read one titled The Dragon & the George (another SF/Fantasy) that too was a happy guilty pleasure I just do not remember the author at this moment. (EDIT: looked it up and it was Gordon R Dickson) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dragon_and_the_George

http://www.baenebooks.com/showcatego...d-shea-stories

hope someone enjoys these even a tiny bit...

Last edited by rkw; 05-22-2013 at 04:09 AM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, these were silly and fun reads. I read them back in the 80s, I think.

Let us know if the new ones are fun.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Yep, two of my favorite books. I really, really wish that they were available as ebooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
I have only now downloaded the newest title as well as the refreshed/re-published original ...
Not sure what you mean by refreshed/re-published original. I only see new stories at Baen.

BTW, the originals are available outside the US through sfgateway

Last edited by Valhalla; 05-22-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yep, two of my favorite books. I really, really wish that they were available as ebooks.
Ok.. Now this is weird. I have the two books in my library and I'm sure I purchased them both from Amazon, but neither is currently available as an ebook.

Book 1:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Incomplete...hanter+gateway

Book 2:
Not found
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Ok.. Now this is weird. I have the two books in my library and I'm sure I purchased them both from Amazon, but neither is currently available as an ebook.

Book 1:

Book 2:
Not found

They don't appear to be available from the U.S.

Kobo has them, with a non-U.S. account.

Don
Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
They don't appear to be available from the U.S.
This is *very* strange.

I have three L. Spraque De Camp books from Gateway:

The Incomplete Enchanter
The Castle of Iron
Tales From Gavagan's Bar

All with the standard yellow book covers and *none* available from Amazon and *none* in my online library. Where the heck did I get them? I know I didn't purchase them from the U.K. Did Gateway pull them from the U.S.?

Good thing I pulled them down and deDRM'd them.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post

Book 1:

Book 2:
Not found

What I meant is that the ebook is not available for purchase and/or download, even though there is a graphic stating 'Amazon Kindle' for that title (based on your link).

Perhaps they at one time carried it, but no longer do so.

Don
Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Do any of them include The Ballade of Eskimo Nell? They ought to...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What I meant is that the ebook is not available for purchase and/or download, even though there is a graphic stating 'Amazon Kindle' for that title (based on your link).

Perhaps they at one time carried it, but no longer do so.
When I click the link I have the "Buy now with 1-Click" button on the right. Maybe it is a region thing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When I click the link I have the "Buy now with 1-Click" button on the right. Maybe it is a region thing.
Yes I remember right when I first checked into these more than a few years back nothing was available in the US as an ebook. When I made a post in over on the Webscription Baen Bar forum one of the writers picked up the ball to go ahead and republish the original novel with some sort of changes maybe it's just a forward in afterward I don't remember.

No matter what I think it's really good to have some of these old earlier that catalog kind of titles available. It makes for someone else mentioned in another thread a nice kick start when you're struggling to traders get into reading a book. I know when I'm stuck in a reading rut going back to reading something I read 20, 30, whatever number years ago and just like that I'm back in the groove.

Really neat to see some interest in them... B-)
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #12
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Do any of them include The Ballade of Eskimo Nell? They ought to...
Hi Ralph,

I checked all the titles I have and none of them have The Ballad of Eskimo Nell. But why does that sound really familiar? I want to say I read it a long time ago but I'm not sure. I guess I've got some googling in my future. Gee thanks!!?? :-P