Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
dekz
dekz began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
PDF MetaData

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been adressed before, but I've seen that there have been problems previously with PDF metadata not being written to the file when it's saved to disk. Is this still an issue? Or has it been resolved?

Because it from 38 of my ebooks, none seem to be writing the metadata to the pdf file. Using 0.7.1
dekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekz View Post
I've seen that there have been problems previously with PDF metadata not being written to the file when it's saved to disk. Is this still an issue? Or has it been resolved?
It is still an issue, but you shouldn't have a problem with every book. Go to Preferences - Plugins and ensure your PDF metadata writer and reader plugins are enabled.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
dekz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It is still an issue, but you shouldn't have a problem with every book. Go to Preferences - Plugins and ensure your PDF metadata writer and reader plugins are enabled.
I seem to be able to change the data using pdftk, is this a limitation with a library calibre uses? or is it just currently a bug?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekz View Post
I seem to be able to change the data using pdftk, is this a limitation with a library calibre uses? or is it just currently a bug?
I tested my ability to change the Title and Author on a PDF file and when I sent it to my, PRS-505, device and the metadata was updated as expected.

Assuming that your PDF metadata plugins are enabled then it would seem you are not doing one of the three things that has a chance of getting the PDF metadata updated.

1. Metadata is updated when you use the Send to Device feature. The file sent to the device is updated not the file in the library.

2. Metadata is updated when you use the Save to Disk feature. Again The file saved to the disk is updated not the file in the library.

3. Metadata is updated when you convert a file. When a file is converted the newly converted file in the Calibre library will have had the metadata within it updated.

If you only update the metadata in the Calibre Library, then you use explorer to drag and drop the file to your device the metadata will not be updated or if you email it to yourself or your device the metadata will not be updated.

If your PDF metadata writer plugin is disabled you will never update metadata in PDFs.

Also keep in mind that sometimes PDF files won't update.

That's the limit of my knowledge in this area.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-09-2010 at 08:55 AM.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
dekz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I tested my ability to change the Title and Author on a PDF file and when I sent it to my, PRS-505, device and the metadata was updated as expected.

Assuming that your PDF metadata plugins are enabled then it would seem you are not doing one of the three things that has a chance of getting the PDF metadata updated.

2. Metadata is updated when you use the Save to Disk feature. Again The file saved to the disk is updated not the file in the library.

3. Metadata is updated when you convert a file. When a file is converted the newly converted file in the Calibre library will have had the metadata within it updated.
I understand, I just thought that this problem might have been fixed (as I first remember seeing the problem reported on these forums last year). I am using the Save to Disk method and only some have updated information. Converting to a new file stores all the correct information. I'm just wondering why the library that calibre uses to update pdfs fails on some files, when other generic tools seem to work without fail?
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
cbalmforth
cbalmforth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I find it easiest to use A-PDF Rename to change the filenames and metadata on my PDF files. It's batch processing capability using simple scripts is extremely powerful, whilst you can just point and click for simpler tasks. You can download a trial version at http://www.a-pdf.com/rename/?product-rn
cbalmforth is offline   Reply With Quote