Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
lakewood
lakewood began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Unhappy File Association and Error message 0

Hi, This is my first post. It seems like I have had all the problems listed on the board. Now I have one I haven't seen addressed here. This is what happened. Everything was working ! Then when I opened the Reader Library I got this message: File Association: Some file types associated with EPUB files are not associated with Reader Library. Do you want to associate them now? yes or no. I didn't know what this was so I said No and continued to download a new book. When I tried to add it got this message Error: 0
It has been this way for several days. I can't download books from my account on Sony Library or from other book files on my computer. I was able to download RTF last time I checked. Sony support didn't even tell me what the error message means! Just referred me to web. troubleshooting. Anyone got any ideas ? I have the 505 using vista home premium 32 bit
lakewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, lakewood

I looked in the Reader Library help.

You can set the file association by:
Click on Edit at the upper left of the Reader Library.
Click on Preferences.

This is what the help showed to do..

Click image for larger version

Name:	pref.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	45157<....click me

I hope this helps. Let us know what happens.

P.S. Just in case.....

Did you know that MR has free ebooks? They have been beautifully handcrafted by some very dedicated MR members. (I believe that they are better formatted than Google books.)

BBeB (Sony lrf format) and ePub format

Free ebook sites

feedbooks.com
manybooks.net

Free and for purchase ebooks

smashwords.com
baen.com
Plus Baen has a great free library
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
lakewood

Dreams, Thanks for the help. I was able to stop the File association box from coming up every time I open the reader library. Unforchantly it did not take away the error message : error 0 I still can't import any books I've bought from Sony store or other stores. I can't even import RTF from my computer. Does anyone know what error code: error 0 means?
Old 02-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a little something to check..

On your Reader.. At the main menu, click on settings.

Then click on About...

It should show ... Sony, then to the right it will say authorized for the eBook Store

Just below Sony .... Adobe-PDF, then to the right it will say, This device is authorized for Adobe DRM protected content.

I'm still searching for error 0.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
lakewood

Did as you asked, my reader says authorized for the ebook store and also device is authorized for adobe DRM protected content. Here is something weird. I changed to the other desktop in Vista. Connected to Sony ebook store and was able to download the book to that desktop's reader library. Connected my 505 and put the book on my reader. I am glad it works but kinda pain in the rear as the first desktop has my library all built. This has nothing!
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Glad you were able to get your books on by using the other computer.

I'm still at a loss about that error 0...

Does anyone have an idea or thought about what that error is??

Just another thought with a couple of questions. How many Readers and computers do you have authorized to your account? Do you only have one account? I wonder if maybe your first computer was deauthorized?
From Sony FAQ's
Quote:
You are allowed to authorize up to six computers (via Reader Library) and up to six portable devices (via USB and/or wireless).

To see what devices you currently have registered to your account;

Launch the Reader Library Software.
Go to eBooks Store and login with your Username and Password.
Click on My account.
Page down to the section "My Authorized Devices" which will show you how many and what devices are authorized to your account.
I found some information you may be interested in on the Adobe page... http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/#getting_started

and something I found farther down the page ...
To transfer a library item to another authorized computer:
Quote:
1. On the computer you're transferring from, locate and open the My Digital Editions folder, located inside the My Documents folder.
2. Choose the EPUB or PDF files that correspond to the eBook titles you want to transfer.
3. Copy the selected files to portable media such as a flash drive, or e-mail the files to the target computer.
4. On the target computer, copy the EPUB or PDF files into the My Documents\My Digital Editions folder.
5. Open Adobe Digital Editions on the target computer. Choose Library > Add Item, and then navigate to the My Digital Editions folder and select the new files to bring them into the library.
and the other Adobe page information..
http://ebooks.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/145/kw/associate%20with%20EPUB%20files/r_id/166

Quote:
How can I tell if my PC is already authorized?

In Reader Library, please go to the Help menu and click "About". Here you will see information about your Adobe activation status and your Adobe ID.
I figure it's worth a try to check information. I end up learning myself. At least you can get your books on to the Reader, although I know you would like to use the other computer.

Last edited by dreams; 02-09-2010 at 03:25 AM. Reason: added info
Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
lakewood

I only have the one computer and 2 readers authorized. Checked the things you found

and it looks all good. This Error 0 even the Sony guys didn't know what it is. My

husband has his own desktop and I have mine. The other desktop I was talking about is

when you log-off and log-on to another desktop on the same computer using the Vista

operating system. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for all your research on this. I am

learning as I go.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella

I know what you are talking about. On my old laptop and one of the desktops, only one of the users was the administrator. It caused a few problems with non-sharing of certain programs and files. I use to transfer stuff by copying to a flash drive and dropping on to the other side.. This was a quick, easy, and understandable way for me to do it.

Just a thought, but maybe you are not the listed admin on that computer and the Reader Library was originally downloaded on the admin side.

On this laptop, I just made sure not to have separate users logging on, they can use my old laptop.

I'm glad you are able to read your books now.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
lakewood

Yes, you are right ! I used the administrator side which is my husband side. When I

downloaded the Reader Library software and the Adobe Digital. I was on the

administrator side. The accounts were made in my email address and I am the only one

who has ever used them or connected a reader. Everything was working. Adobe Digital is

still working. I wonder do you think it may have been some kind of security update that

is causing the administrator side of reader library not to work ? The only thing is. I am

not connecting my reader to the library just adding PDF and EPUB book files to it. How

would it know I wasn't the administrator using the administrator side? Are the ebooks

encoded with the purchase email when you buy them ?

Well, just did a test. Tried to import a RTF ( not a ebook, just a few words I did on a

page ) from the administrator side into the library also on the administrator side. It was

a no go just got the same Error 0 message.

I don't understand it. I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall the reader software

again. At least it is working on my-side ! I had that problem with Sony's update that

wouldn't even open the library. Got the message Reader Library has stopped working.

Took 2 weeks but by reading the forums here I found a fix that worked for me. Here is

the link to how I did the reinstall http://afterthefox.blogspot.com/

Everything worked till it stopped letting me import or open with reader library. I thank

you again for all your help.