Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Hrmmm... interesting logic.

The one area I think this argument is wonky, is the idea that the Nook is as useless without B&N as the Kindle would be without Amazon.
That's not quite correct. It might take a bit more dancing for content but the Kindle will not be useless and I'm sure the same is true with the Nook.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-13-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
It's definitely getting a little fishy around here, I think the tide is turning.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I don't think so. A red herring looks like this:

sorry, my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
It's definitely getting a little fishy around here, I think the tide is turning.
you have to wonder if it finds itself amusing?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #19
macr0t0r
Connoisseur
macr0t0r doesn't littermacr0t0r doesn't litter

Device: Palm Treo 680, Sony Reader
While I agree that we shouldn't be praising this product just yet (though it has many features that truly interest me), I think most people agree here that we can't really dog it either until it arrives and we can confirm what it does/doesn't have.

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r View Post
While I agree that we shouldn't be praising this product just yet (though it has many features that truly interest me), I think most people agree here that we can't really dog it either until it arrives and we can confirm what it does/doesn't have.
I think that goes for just about any new product. The big thing to keep in mind, because it's important for the e-book industry in general, is that the device and it's sales/distribution system are incorporating incremental changes that are moving toward something that will attract a larger market share while not driving away large portions of the existing market.

As long as things keep going this way, it's all good.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #21
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think your logic is flawed. You will still be able to purchase ePubs from other sources to use with the nook. You may not be able to use the wireless feature but the reader would be far from useless
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #22
whiteorca
whiteorca began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
BN stock is only around $16 a share, and Amazon is around $121 a share. BN Ebooks are priced too high.
I would believe they will be in line with those on fictionwise, which are not, in my opinion, too high...

Quote:
Now I hear you only have one hour per day for the instore feature (all you can read for free when you go to BN- or so they say).
If you'd be so kind as to point us into that particular piece of info? I can't seem to find it.

Quote:
The nook is going for $269 which I dont even spend that much per year at B&N for books then I will have to spend more cash to fill it up. I bought a high end (physical) book at Amazon for $30 whereas BN wanted $45. If the Kindle fails- life will go on with Amazon - whereas if the Nook fails- it could spell the end for BN (then what do you do with the nook and its fancy nook covers?).
I fail to see why that would be so, especially in a brick-and-mortar company with such an outstanding trajectory as B&N is. Besides, Nook will support the ePub format, which is open standard. It offers, in my view, much more flexibility than the propietary format of Amazon. Besides, as a product, it is much more attractive

And that, my friend, is In My Humble Opinion
whiteorca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #23
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteorca View Post
I would believe they will be in line with those on fictionwise, which are not, in my opinion, too high...

If you'd be so kind as to point us into that particular piece of info? I can't seem to find it.

I fail to see why that would be so, especially in a brick-and-mortar company with such an outstanding trajectory as B&N is. Besides, Nook will support the ePub format, which is open standard. It offers, in my view, much more flexibility than the propietary format of Amazon. Besides, as a product, it is much more attractive

And that, my friend, is In My Humble Opinion

welcome to the forum! just FYI... that was a fishing expedition you were just taken on
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #24
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
Honestly, just get a open reader like the Astak EZ Reader and get books from google or other bookstores without all of the proprietary formats.
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #25
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
All this nook bashing is really reminiscent of the hordes of negative kindle reviews BEFORE the device came out... and look at it now.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
vgiridar
vgiridar began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader
Nook and other devices are different

There is some justification in worries regarding B&N. This is the first device from a bookseller. So in a way the buyers of nook could be from loyal B&N customers. Hence instead of buying hardbacks, they buy ebooks cutting into B&N's profitability. Moreover directly pitching nook against kindle may not be a smart strategy. If Kindle could wipe out Sony despite Sony being early into the market just goes to show how amazon can take on competitors and win. Now it is Sony doing all catching up. Already Sony touch edition may be a non-starter after Kindle prices have been slashed. God bless Daily Edition. Moreover on ebooks front, Amazon would be hard to beat and with minor adjustments, they can be available for Nook as well. Kindle software for PC edition is a pointer to that direction. If B&N wanted to sell Nook at a discount hoping to make money on ebooks, that is simply not going to happen.

Amazon can reduce prices drastically as recently done with competition with walmart and target due to their huge profitability as announced recently. The brick and mortar stores cannot compete on prices with internet stores. If nothing else people can always buy from amazon just to save on taxes as B&N would need to charge taxes in most if not all states.

B&N has been forced into the ebook market due to market forces. To win in this market would be a different thing altogether.

Just to confirm I love B&N and I think we need them to survive as students walk into the local stores and enrich and supplement their knowledge. I frequently do.

I hope B&N does well and survives in long-term. But not too many people have taken Jeff Bezos head-on and came back smiling
vgiridar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #27
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not sure if this is how B&N is doing it, but it dislike buying a book and have it only available on the companies servers. Sony for example, if I purchase a book from their estore, the digital data remains on my computer and I can upload it back to the reader as often as I like.

I just worry that if a company goes out of business, there goes all the stuff I bought from that company if their servers go down to. Having an reader that supports a wide variety of formats doesn't hurt either, since it'll allow me to shop else where.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #28
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast
Alpha_Cluster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Libre2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I'm not sure if this is how B&N is doing it, but it dislike buying a book and have it only available on the companies servers. Sony for example, if I purchase a book from their estore, the digital data remains on my computer and I can upload it back to the reader as often as I like.

I just worry that if a company goes out of business, there goes all the stuff I bought from that company if their servers go down to. Having an reader that supports a wide variety of formats doesn't hurt either, since it'll allow me to shop else where.
Actually the servers are working the same way as Sony's from the looks of it (looking at the current PC software) where you download them but they always are out there floating in the cloud after you purchase the book. So you had multiple copy's around. Also B&N is not to bad right now so I do not think we will see them going away any time soon (plus if they did they would most likely merge with another company thus prolonging the servers time). If they did ever go out of business or shut down the servers you would still have the local copies just like Sony's. As I said earlier B&N, Sony and Amazon all are doing the same around that (just all using different DRM currently though Sony and B&N will be using the same (well kinda) soon)

As for more formats. The nook supports the two most important ePub and PDF. Also you got eReader which supports a huge swath of preexisting ebooks. Sure it lacks mobi but ePub is THE standard so most are guna switch (read everyone but Amazon). So even though it supports a smaller number then some readers I would not be worried. Plus I would point that both Sony and B&N are using Adobes software for DRM of ePubs so that means eventually you should even be able to mix those stores hopefully since it only hurts Amazon more for them to do that.
Alpha_Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #29
JJoyce
JJoyce began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgiridar View Post
There is some justification in worries regarding B&N. This is the first device from a bookseller. So in a way the buyers of nook could be from loyal B&N customers. ... Moreover on ebooks front, Amazon would be hard to beat and with minor adjustments, they can be available for Nook as well. Kindle software for PC edition is a pointer to that direction.

B&N has been forced into the ebook market due to market forces. To win in this market would be a different thing altogether.
Lurked for quite a while here, so a little surprised I'm stepping out of the shadows now, but...Just a few corrections.

The Nook isn't the "first device from a bookseller." I don't know why more outlets haven't reported on it, but as was mentioned in the B&N media call at the end of October, B&N already experimented with ebooks when they joined Nuvomedia in launching the Rocket ebook, one of the first ebook readers on the market.

And as for the Amazon aspect, frankly I don't see them opening up their ebook store to all-comers anytime soon.

The proprietary AZW format is working well for them. Converting to an open format like EPUB isn't an option since it would lock out their Kindle market by forcing an upgrade. Offering EPUB as an option is a slightly more realistic option but again, a risky one as it would mean possible increased ebook sales, but the loss of more profitable hardware sales as a Kindle would no longer be a mandatory purchase for those wanting an E Ink device.

In the interest of disclosure, I do not own nor intend to buy a Kindle (though I've been tempted from time to time) and a device from either Sony or the B&N reader in question is a distinct possibility. So...that said, take the above analysis however you will.
JJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #30
rchiare1
rchiare1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Sony Prs-700
I believe that nook will interface with a number of other sources besides B&N. Kindle is Amazon or nothing.
rchiare1 is offline   Reply With Quote