Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Web Browsing from the Ebw-1150 - BETA Testers needed

The latest version of the 1150 browsing hack is ready for beta testers. This version is much more stable, and also has several new features including the ability to download IMP ebooks.

You can find the link to download the hack at the end of this post, but before you do I want to provide instructions on how to set it up.

1. Before doing anything else, turn on your 1150 and open Settings. Go to the Phone Connection page.
2. At the bottom of the page, click "Use HTTP proxy". In the input area directly below type in 127.0.0.1.
3. Next, click "Use proxy for USB". In the input area directly below type in 9090.

Once you've done the above, all you need to do is follow the link to the current thread on this topic.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28363
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Adding the instructions for and mentioning that this software would work equally for the 1200 would also be appreciated, as it's now on the front page
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
For those with the REB1200 wanting to try this, substitute above:

- 'Ethernet connection' for 'Phone connection'

- 'your local IP address' for '127.0.0.1' where you can find your IP address by calling 'ipconfig' at the dos/command prompt (usually 192.168.#.##)

Just report back to this thread if you require assistance.

EDIT: beat to the punch by ashkulz...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had two reasons for only addressing the 1150 owners. The first is that we have amny more Ebw-1150 owners than owners of 1200s. The second is that I have not connected from a 1200 and I am hesitant to provide instructions I cannot verify beforehand.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #5
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Nate: I've created a windows bundle of ebookutils, which should help people to get it up and running much more quickly. I'd appreciate it if you could add the link to it in the first post.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

The first post in this thread already links to the head of the impserve thread. I think that's better than linking to a specific file.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The first post in this thread already links to the head of the impserve thread. I think that's better than linking to a specific file.
Nate:

Small favour to ask. Could you please revise your first post, namely, Step 2. to indicate that windows users do not need to install python (big hurdle for some!) and can now use the windows executable in the impserve thread.

I know some other moderators use the EBW1150, but seem to be 'absent' from these discussions as are a lot of other ebw1150 users. The PDFRead software (which btw ashkulz wrote in python) has become very popular because it is ready to use and doesn't need one to install python "just to try it".

Could installing python be that tramatic?

Thanks,
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Nate:

Small favour to ask. Could you please revise your first post, namely, Step 2. to indicate that windows users do not need to install python (big hurdle for some!) and can now use the windows executable in the impserve thread.

I know some other moderators use the EBW1150, but seem to be 'absent' from these discussions as are a lot of other ebw1150 users. The PDFRead software (which btw ashkulz wrote in python) has become very popular because it is ready to use and doesn't need one to install python "just to try it".

Could installing python be that tramatic?

Thanks,
weeeeell.... not *traumatic*, necessarily, but remember nick when i first tried to use your python script and i couldn't figure out how to install the blasted thing (because it turned out you don't install it... ). so yes actually the reason i haven't tried this yet is that although i DID eventually manage to use your python script (thanks to your step-by-step instructions), i've sort of forgotten how it works and the idea of wrestling with it again made me sigh with unthusiasm (or whatever is the opposite of enthusiasm).

of course, apparently there is a windows exe now, so i'll go test it out. thanks guys !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
of course, apparently there is a windows exe now, so i'll go test it out. thanks guys !!!
What a trooper!

Wrestled to the ground by that python installer and almost out, only to bounce back and conquer it using, using.... the windows version!

Don't fret, ZP, you are in the majority. It is daunting working with these scripts for non-linux users i.e. windows only people. I found this out when I wrote Mobi2IMP.pl and now I too always use the windows version, if available.

And if you need a hand setting this up, you know I'm a just 'message' away...

In fact, if anyone needs a (private) tutorial, please do private message me. I know it is not easy experimenting with someone else's creation. Please be advised that I may only respond here, if your situation is general enough and would be useful to others.

Let the surfing begin...
Old 09-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Ok I'm feeling like a complete goofus here. I've been tinkering with this since the linreb post by nrapallo and can not make the surfing work. Not even google. In fact the only external site that I can get to load is ebookwise.

Impserve isn't giving me any errors this is what I get in the terminal where impserve is running when I try to access the mobile read forums.
Code:
127.0.0.1 - - [04/Sep/2008 14:50:36] "GET https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
So that looks right I think. Then in eb1150 gives me this.
Code:
Socket created 5
Connected to 127.0.0.1:9090
Sent: 174 byte(s)
Recv: 54 byte(s)
Recv: 37 byte(s)
Recv: 224 byte(s)
Recv: 4092 byte(s)
Recv: 3952 byte(s)
Recv: 0 byte(s)
Once the Recv: 0 bytes starts thats is all that I will get. The reader shows the communicating with ebook network bar but nothing ever gets loaded.

Any ideas?
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
Ok I'm feeling like a complete goofus here. I've been tinkering with this since the linreb post by nrapallo and can not make the surfing work. Not even google. In fact the only external site that I can get to load is ebookwise.
OK, what follows is specifically for linux users... Windows users need not do this.

Quote:
Impserve isn't giving me any errors this is what I get in the terminal where impserve is running when I try to access the mobile read forums.
Code:
127.0.0.1 - - [04/Sep/2008 14:50:36] "GET https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
So that looks right I think.
This does look OK!

What port are you using for impserve, eb1150 and the EBW1150? Do the EBW1150 reader settings match i.e. proxy 127.0.0.1 port 9090 and both HTTP options checked!

How/where do you 'click' to get the EBW1150 to send that GET request? Please give details. Also, do you have privoxy installed from the Linreb days (oh, just last month...). If so, uninstall it (and reboot)!

Quote:
Then in eb1150 gives me this.

...stuff removed...

Once the Recv: 0 bytes starts thats is all that I will get. The reader shows the communicating with ebook network bar but nothing ever gets loaded.

Any ideas?
Can you get a booklist sent to the reader from your 'Online Bookshelf'? i.e. 'shelf' directory in the impserve install directory

Are you able to load .imp files from the 'shelf' directory? If not, then impserve can't surf if it can't communicate with the reader. If so, can you try deleting a .imp ebook in your 'Online Bookshelf' to see if the communications are working 100%. Before you do this deleton, please have a backup copy of that .imp!

Just quessing, but does impserve require any special root permissions in linux?

I will try using impserve with eb1150 in linux on my netbook, but I don't have it with me right now. I'll see how far I get (given that I do know what to expect/look for having used it in windows already! ).

Anyone else using linux want to chime in...

p.s. if you do get surfing to work make sure to refer to this beginner's post!

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-04-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
What port are you using for impserve, eb1150 and the EBW1150? Do the EBW1150 reader settings match i.e. proxy 127.0.0.1 port 9090 and both HTTP options checked!
Sorry about the lack of detail. So here goes.

Reader setup
http proxy 127.0.0.1 and box is checked.
usb proxy 9090 and box is checked.

PC
eb1150 -h 127.0.0.1
impserve -a 127.0.0.1 and usually just impserve so it defaults to 0.0.0.0 online bookshelf works the same either way as well the surfing or lack thereof.

Privoxy is disabled although I got the same results when trying to access any external links with the linreb and privoxy setup as well. Moving books to the reader works as well as deleting them from the pc from my online bookshelf. As for where are the links coming from that would be the index.html file that you uploaded and it is in the content directory that impserve 0.4.2 is using. What is really strange is that the image from google is loaded on that first page where the edit box is and I can almost always get ebookwise.com to load, at least the first page. Trying to go anywhere else from the reader just gets me those 0 length packets.

Also trying to load an external link from inside of an ebook causes a crash on the reader. I tried that too with one of the posted imps.

What version of the firmware is on the ebw-1150's that are working? Probably isn't the problem as I can get at least one external page to load.

The main thing is that I can get my books loaded on the reader from my pc and that still works fine. Just feeling a little left out with all of the folks being able to look at book lists and such here on mobile read and all I get is long string of zeros....
Old 09-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
nrapallo

I start impserve using with '-a 127.0.0.1 -p 9090 shelf' just to be safe. I can't get 0.0.0.0 to work on my WinXP PC.

My EBW1150 reader's firmware is the same as yours: 4.2f17.

Nothing looks odd with your setup. Let's see if I get stuck too.

Hopefully it's not impserve related, but if not, it may be 'eb1150 usb driver' related.

BTW, did you try the new Impserve startup page I uploaded (content.zip)? Does it work differently? the same?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
derrell
Jack O' Apes

The new startup page was the one I tried. Just added a link to ebookwise.com so I could test that link. The other links will send a few good packets through eb1150 then they sort of get hung up. It may be a problem with eb1150.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #15
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
The new startup page was the one I tried. Just added a link to ebookwise.com so I could test that link. The other links will send a few good packets through eb1150 then they sort of get hung up. It may be a problem with eb1150.
It is amazing that the one link that works is www.ebookwise.com;
it seems that the reader knows how to call home...

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-04-2008 at 05:49 PM.