Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #46
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
No I haven't. Thanks for the heads up, I'll do it tonight so it's done and dusted.
It is painless. I think the extra security is worth it. And it seems to be a one time thing. Well at least until they release 7.1.1.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #47
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Haven't updated to 7.1 yet on my iPad Air. I probably will in the next few days. From reading here, I guess I've been lucky--my Air seems very stable, can't remember the last time it crashed...Maybe I shouldn't update, don't want to introduce anything that would cause it to start crashing! LOL
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #48
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I haven't been using iTunes on my computers and I don't really want to. I've only got iTunes installed on one, a Netbook, and it's pretty slow there so I would just rather not use it. My computers all run Windows. I just do the backups over wifi. Anyway, hopefully this is just a one time thing.
If you never back up via iTunes, maybe it would be a good idea to back up using another program once in a while. Unless all your apps backup their data in the cloud. The iCloud update doesn't include app data, as far as I know.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
The iCloud update doesn't include app data, as far as I know.
Whether or not an iCloud backup backs up app data depends on the app. It will, for example, back up data from the Kindle app if you want it to. You can select what it backs up in the "iCloud" section of the "Settings" page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #50
jswinden
Nameless Being

Has anyone who only backs up to the iCloud ever done a complete restore? For example, you buy a new iPad/iPhone to replace your older one, and use your iCloud backup to basically move all the information (app, data, etc.) that was on the older iPad to your new one. I've done this a several times now with iTunes backups and it works well. I'm just curious what would happen if you tried it solely using an iCloud backup.
Advert
Old 03-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, I did that with my Retina Mini. Worked absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #52
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My iPad Mini was setup from the cloud from my iPad 4 backup. My iPhone 5s was setup from cloud backup of my iPhone 4. My iPads and my new iPhone have never been connected to iTunes.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #53
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I did that with my Retina Mini. Worked absolutely fine.
Good deal. I had been skeptical that the iCloud backups were detailed enough, but I guess they are. I think I will occasionally do iCloud backups to supplement my iTunes backups to my Mac. I had a Windows 7 computer die last year and it had been my primary iTunes PC at the time. That was a major mess as far as iTunes stuff. I do back up the Mac regularly with Time Machine, but you can never have too many backups!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #54
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Has anyone who only backs up to the iCloud ever done a complete restore? For example, you buy a new iPad/iPhone to replace your older one, and use your iCloud backup to basically move all the information (app, data, etc.) that was on the older iPad to your new one. I've done this a several times now with iTunes backups and it works well. I'm just curious what would happen if you tried it solely using an iCloud backup.
Yes. It worked perfectly for me.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #55
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Good deal. I had been skeptical that the iCloud backups were detailed enough, but I guess they are. I think I will occasionally do iCloud backups to supplement my iTunes backups to my Mac. I had a Windows 7 computer die last year and it had been my primary iTunes PC at the time. That was a major mess as far as iTunes stuff. I do back up the Mac regularly with Time Machine, but you can never have too many backups!

I also have iTunes on a Win 7 pc.

Which iTunes files do you make copies of ?

I believe Apple says the "iTunes Media" folder, but is this enough to restore everything back ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #56
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post

I believe Apple says the "iTunes Media" folder, but is this enough to restore everything back ?
You freely can define where to put your content.
On my Mac mini, which I use as my media server for Apple TV, I've spread my content over 12 Harddisks.
If I would back up the "Media folder", it only would cover the recent one, not the 11 others.
But if you've never fumbled around, but use the standard settings, the original "Media folder" should cover it.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #57
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
iOS 7.1 released

I'm staying away from this update since Apple, not surprisingly, patched up Evasi0n exploits and I don't want to lose the jailbreak on my iPhone 5. My iPad mini retina is jailbroken as well but I don't really much care if I lose the jailbreak on it so I'll be updating it in a few.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #58
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post

The Win 7 PC died. I now use a Mac mini. I use a Mac OS X app called Time Machine to back up my entire Mac Mini to external drives. It runs in the background and makes hourly backups of whatever has changed.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #59
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I haven't upgraded any of my devices yet. How's battery life? News reports this weekend state some users are experiencing a significant decrease.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:09 AM   #60
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I do think it's a bit worse, but tbh I carry a charger and can usually top it up via the car or at work so I'm not too worried.

It's more stable though, certainly on Safari so I think the update is worth it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote