Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Poor farmers or robots? Vote for your choice.
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov 19 38.00%
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton 31 62.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Short and free gets my vote.
I voted for it too. I read it once about 10 years ago. A re-read will be lovely.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Been wanting to read I, Robot, and glad to vote for it. Hate that it is not in my Overdrive collection though...free would be good. I love reading "classic" sci-fi and hope this makes it through for December.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
There should be a minimum of 11 I, Robot votes based on the first round, so this early lead by Ethan Frome could be swallowed easily as the vote progresses.

I'm not sure if I, Robot will suffer from any classic backlash. There might be those who don't particularly think of it as a classic. Ethan Frome fits into the category quite easily. So where a different selection (say Crime and Punishment) might have divided the final vote, it's possible that this run-off vote has a more "black and white" feel for some.

But that sort of consideration is hard to predict. Although I personally wouldn't jump to classify I, Robot as a classic. At the same time, I don't object to its inclusion. I possibly would have voted for it myself in the run-off if I happened to own it already.
Well, here we disagree. I know I, Robot is a science fiction classic. Many many people will agree with me.

As for Ethan Frome, I don't think it's actually good enough of a book to be a classic. The only thing it compares to some true classics is that it's old.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #19
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for Ethan Frome, I don't think it's actually good enough of a book to be a classic. The only thing it compares to some true classics is that it's old.
You've already read it? I'm guessing you won't be up for a re-read if it wins then.

I take your point though. Some things might make it into the "classic" category almost by default. I've never read Wharton, but she was a Pulitzer prize winning author with Age of Innocence and it's possible that some of her works over time have been painted optimistically, basking in the light of this particular achievement.

I'll reserve judgement myself as I just don't know enough.

Also - I may be slightly unfair in not classifying I, Robot as a classic. I was thinking more that of Asimov's work I would more likely classify the Foundation series or The Gods Themselves as classics.

Actually - bit of trivia - I read The Gods Themselves for the first time this year. Loved it.

I had made up my mind that I wanted to read more of Asimov's works and I do have a couple of books loosely lined up. I, Robot just doesn't happen to be one of them as yet.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #20
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
There should be a minimum of 11 I, Robot votes based on the first round, so this early lead by Ethan Frome could be swallowed easily as the vote progresses.
Only 10... my first vote was for "I, robot" because I really would like to read it, but it's not available for me in Germany (only as an expensive and space-consuming PB)
So this time I voted for "Ethan Frome". Not sure if I like it, but I think reading something I wouldn't otherwise isn't a bad idea!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #21
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Ethan Frome it is.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #22
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If as many people vote this time around as in the initial vote there's still plenty of votes for I, Robot to catch up.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
caleb72
Indie Advocate

11 - 19. Here come the robots!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
Only 10... my first vote was for "I, robot" because I really would like to read it, but it's not available for me in Germany (only as an expensive and space-consuming PB)
So this time I voted for "Ethan Frome". Not sure if I like it, but I think reading something I wouldn't otherwise isn't a bad idea!
I don't think you will enjoy Ethan Frome. It's an awful book that's downright depressing. Not a good idea for the holidays.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Come on folks. We need more votes for the robots. The Frome is just downright depressing and an awful read. It's one of the worst choices for December.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If it's any consolation, Jon; if it comes down to a tie, you'll get your robots. I've always wanted to put that one on my Finished Reading list. I remember as a teenager having the book in my hands in our high school library. I just can't remember if I finished it or not.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If it's any consolation, Jon; if it comes down to a tie, you'll get your robots. I've always wanted to put that one on my Finished Reading list. I remember as a teenager having the book in my hands in our high school library. I just can't remember if I finished it or not.
Thank you! The thing about I, Robots that helps make it a classic are Asimov's robot laws. They paved the way for a lot more stories about robots/androids.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I voted for Ethan. I was considering I, Robot but it seemed a little long, with the holidays coming up and all.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The paperback edition of I, Robot is only 256 pages. That's not much at all.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The paperback of Ethan Frome is ~100 pages, that makes it like 2.5X better than I, Robot.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote