Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #976
dannyproy
dannyproy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
As someone with a lot of side loaded epubs 2.1.1 represents a huge leap forward towards enjoying the same UI speeds as 1.9.17..
it's just a shame navigating back to the home page from anywhere else still takes an absolute age. Minutes still crawl by until I can do anything once I hit the home button, at least I have time to make a cup of tea..
dannyproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #977
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Hmm, navigation to the home page from anywhere works just fine for me, no delay... Can't even take a sip of tea...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #978
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Just updated. Went fine. Page turns seem much faster. Unfortunately loading the ToC still seems glacially slow to me (why isn't this cached??)
Yes, noticed that last night. Luckily I don't use it often.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #979
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
As a general rule, you're courting trouble whenever you use unofficial methods to update or modify your firmware.
Does that mean you don't trust the factory reset to work? I mean, with that as a backup option, surely it's OK to try new firmware?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #980
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by antxc View Post
So what font do other people use? I have been using Avenir and find some of the others truely awful. Are there any ways to add extra fonts?
Very easy to add your own fonts. See this thread among others: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172535
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #981
antxc
antxc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Very easy to add your own fonts. See this thread among others: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172535
Thanks. I have read through the threads on adding your own fonts and it seems really easy, will try it this afternoon. Can anyone confirm it actually works on 2.1.1, though? I think I remember someone mentioning that it no longer works a couple of pages back.

Last edited by antxc; 08-28-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typo
antxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #982
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Thanks. I have read through the threads on adding your own fonts and it seems really easy, will try it this afternoon. Can anyone confirm it actually works on 2.1.1, though? I think I remember someone mentioning that it no longer works a couple of pages back.
Should work no problem (they reduced the number of default fonts is likely what you were thinking of). If you have issues adding just make sure you are careful about using all lower case for the directory and proper naming for the fonts.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #983
antxc
antxc began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Should work no problem (they reduced the number of default fonts is likely what you were thinking of). If you have issues adding just make sure you are careful about using all lower case for the directory and proper naming for the fonts.
OK, good to know. I think what I read was about re-adding the defaults that were missing, which I assumed would be added the same way as any other extras, but upon reading the comments again it seems I was mistaken.

I found a .zip someone posted in one of the threads with a couple of different fonts correctly named, which should work without any playing around. I will try this afternoon and if it works, I will find my own fonts that I like.
antxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #984
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
What seems to no longer work was creating a custom firmware file that contained nothing but the fonts moved from older firmware versions.

I've tried several different fonts using the fonts folder in the root of the Kobo's internal storage but the only one I've been happy with is JSWolf's modified version of Charis SIL. It has the diacritical marks I wanted and the increase in the font weight makes reading in less than bright light much easier.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #985
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Hmm, navigation to the home page from anywhere works just fine for me, no delay... Can't even take a sip of tea...
Well, I avoid returning to the home page because it takes between 1 to several minutes on my Kobo with 700mb free memory and no memory card. Same thing happens when finishing a book. So far this happens on every KT I have seen.
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #986
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
An oddity with 2.1.1 popped up for me. I downloaded a free book, stuffed it onto my KT and started reading it. About 10 pages in, I decided it wasn't worth reading so I searched for the book and deleted it. Ooopsie, my KT reset. While this might be an advantage for me when I copy an updated copy of a book to the KT since it would save me the trouble of having to power off/power on after deleting a book I am going to replace, it was just a bit unexpected. I tried this with a couple of other books that I opened and then deleted and got the reset each time.

Weird and wonderful toys, these ereaders...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #987
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
An oddity with 2.1.1 popped up for me. I downloaded a free book, stuffed it onto my KT and started reading it. About 10 pages in, I decided it wasn't worth reading so I searched for the book and deleted it. Ooopsie, my KT reset. While this might be an advantage for me when I copy an updated copy of a book to the KT since it would save me the trouble of having to power off/power on after deleting a book I am going to replace, it was just a bit unexpected. I tried this with a couple of other books that I opened and then deleted and got the reset each time.

Weird and wonderful toys, these ereaders...
Can anyone else confirm this? I always remove stuff via Calibre.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #988
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urdu View Post
Well, I avoid returning to the home page because it takes between 1 to several minutes on my Kobo with 700mb free memory and no memory card. Same thing happens when finishing a book. So far this happens on every KT I have seen.
I've upgraded my kobo a few days ago to 2.1.1 and going back to the home screen is quite fast here (1-2s).
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #989
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I'm starting to think I might upgrade to 2.1.1 as the slow page turns are very annoying but as I've never considered a manual update before I have no idea how. Normally I would wait but I'm about to head off for 5 weeks in Europe and I'd love an update before I go.

Could someone please help me with a link to some step by step instructions?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #990
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I'm starting to think I might upgrade to 2.1.1 as the slow page turns are very annoying but as I've never considered a manual update before I have no idea how. Normally I would wait but I'm about to head off for 5 weeks in Europe and I'd love an update before I go.

Could someone please help me with a link to some step by step instructions?
Just unpack all the files to the .kobo directory on the device. When you disconnect from your computer, the Kobo will update itself automatically.