Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast
Guido Henkel began at the beginning.

Device: mobi, epub, lit
PDB formatting issues

I have an ebook that I have successfully converted to a number of formats and now I'm trying to get it into Palm's PDB format. However, the conversion seems to lose all formatting. My source file is an HTML file and centering text is not working first of all. I am using both <p align="center"> and <center> tags but neither seem to yield proper results.

The conversion also entirely ignores <br/> line-breaks.

In addition <b> bold tags and <i> italic tags are completely ignored it appears.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a general limitation of the PDB format?

Thanks for any suggestions and thoughts.
Guido Henkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast
Guido Henkel began at the beginning.

Device: mobi, epub, lit
Has anyone had any luck with this? I've been trying all kinds of things with this, but the PDB conversion seems to be completely broken from what I can tell.
Guido Henkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
PalmDoc PDB's (calibre's default) support 0 formatting. They are just compressed plain text files. It would be the same as if you has created the document using notepad.

eReader PDB's support limited formatting. However, few devices support them. Nook and eSlick are the only ebook readers.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Henkel View Post
Has anyone had any luck with this? I've been trying all kinds of things with this, but the PDB conversion seems to be completely broken from what I can tell.
I use DropBook for conversion to PDB and use PLM (Palm Markup Language) for formatting. I've used it for years with no problems. If you need a hand, let me know.
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
However, few devices support them. Nook and eSlick are the only ebook readers.
Hey? Nook and eSlick are not the only readers that support them. I've noticed quite a number of MR members with Palm devices. Don't write us off yet.

Last edited by alvico; 02-11-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Typo
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvico View Post
Hey? Nook and eSlick are not the only readers that support them. I've noticed quite a number of MR members with Palm devices. Don't write us off yet.
I'm referring to dedicated ebook readers. Meaning eInk devices. They are used by the vast majority of calibre's users for reading so it is safe to assume that's what the parent is using.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I'm referring to dedicated ebook readers. Meaning eInk devices. They are used by the vast majority of calibre's users for reading so it is safe to assume that's what the parent is using.
EZReader Pocket Pro supports (some) PDB filed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
EZReader Pocket Pro supports (some) PDB filed.
It does not support eReader PDB's which does not negate the fact that eReader PDB's are supported by few devices.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It does not support eReader PDB's which does not negate the fact that eReader PDB's are supported by few devices.
My bad , I missed the "ereader" part.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote