Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
How many titles did the Connect Store Launch with?

Does anyone know how many titles are available at the Connect Store?

An old forum thread quoted a Sony exec predicting 10,000 titles when it opened (Links below). It seems like a lot less than 10,000. Under Contemporary fiction there's 25 pages with 20 titles on each page (500 titles). Most categories have far fewer than 25 pages of titles. Doesn't seem to add up. Did Sony make its goal?

Thanks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=cnet

"The company is also trying to make sure that there won't be a shortage of titles. In conjunction with the release of the device, Sony plans to open an online bookstore with about 10,000 titles, Glasgow said."

http://news.com.com/Fall+electronics...?tag=nefd.lede
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hmm. They definitely launched with something over 10k, but when I talked with them in Austin at the end of October, they said they were closing in on 11k titles (probably there by now). But if you think about it that doesn't translate to all that many books per catagory. I asked at the local Barnes & Nobles how many titles they stocked in the store, and their best guess was upwards of 70k titles -- and still their SciFi section seems small to me!

I think there may be a hard limit on how many entries the searches return, if so, it's another example of stuff that needs work in the bookstore.

I think Amazon, et. al. probably have hard limits on what they'll show you, but their limits seem to be a bit higher than 500 entries.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks. I was curious. Still trying to use up my credit. : )
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Wow, mine's long gone! I'm impressed.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
From past experience I can tell you that the Amazon (USA) limit (if there is one) is over 1,000 returns on a search.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote