Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #17101
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Finished The Blade Itself. Reading Before They Are Hanged now. First book was very enjoyable with some great, vivid characters. The pace is quite fast (after reading Jonathan Strange everything is fast lol) and Glokta is one hell of a character
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #17102
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Bso I'll move on to my next-oldest-unread book, once I work out which one that is.
Now Reading Tainted Garden by Jeff Stanley, my oldest-unread-paid-for ebook, bought in April 2003. And this one I certainly haven't read before.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #17103
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Reading "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore.

I'm finding it hilarious but it's possible you may find it blasphemous. Be forewarned.

Last edited by rumplestiltskin; 07-09-2013 at 10:36 AM.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #17104
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just finished Cinder by Marissa Meyer, a science fiction retelling of the fairy tale, Cinderella. It was a really good read.

For my next read, I'm debating between The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss or The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. Both have been on my Kindle waiting to be read for quite a while. I've read The Hobbit a couple of months ago and have really enjoyed it but have never read The Lord of the Rings books.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #17105
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
I'm reading Quicksilver and really diggin' it, but I'm not exactly sure why!
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #17106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
For my next read, I'm debating between The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss or The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. Both have been on my Kindle waiting to be read for quite a while. I've read The Hobbit a couple of months ago and have really enjoyed it but have never read The Lord of the Rings books.
A tip for when you do read "The Fellowship of the Ring": skip over the introductory material and jump straight in with Chapter 1, "A Long-Expected Party". You can go back and read the introduction and preface later.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #17107
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now - back to a rather well known indie effort, Saffina Desforges with Sugar & Spice.

It's a very dark novel, which suits me fine and I've had it on my TBR list for quite a while now. It will be very interesting to see what impression it makes on me.
OK - just finished this one. It was as dark as I expected and rather unpleasant in many ways. The author very much making a point with this novel and playing with the reader's sympathies.

Sex crimes, especially those against children, bring out such an immediate and strong response. The author turns this idea on its head while taking a look at several different types of sex offenders through the eyes of the grieving mother of a child killed by a serial killer.

Mostly, it was a really good story and I appreciated what the author was trying to do, but if the idea of feeling any sympathy for a sex offender is abhorrent to you, you should possibly give this one a miss. I had a few concerns with some exaggerations introduced and some baffling continuity problems in the finale. Nothing ruins that suspenseful climax more quickly than, "Hang on! How did that get there? That doesn't make sense".

And there were a couple of those. Still - I'll be giving it 4 stars.

Next up, I'm tackling The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. I've had the omnibus in my shelves for at least a couple of years and it's time I sampled the trilogy. I'm hoping I like it enough to want to read the other two.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #17108
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I gave it a try and read the first 4 chapters which made me decide that it wasn't a book for me. Thanks again. Now back to my original choices.

You're very naughty.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #17109
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A tip for when you do read "The Fellowship of the Ring": skip over the introductory material and jump straight in with Chapter 1, "A Long-Expected Party". You can go back and read the introduction and preface later.
I once made the mistake of reading the introductory material of a classic novel and made a mental note to never read the introductions before reading the book. They always contain blatant spoilers, they assume that readers have read the book before. Why spoilers are often the case in introductions is beyond me. Anyway, should I skip the prologue Concerning Hobbits, Concerning Pipe-weed, etc.?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #17110
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
they assume that readers have read the book before. Why spoilers are often the case in introductions is beyond me. Anyway, should I skip the prologue Concerning Hobbits, Concerning Pipe-weed, etc.?
No, there's no spoilers - it's not that sort of introduction. It's all written by Tolkien. Yes, it's the Introduction and Prologue that I was referring to. I just think you may find it a bit boring, and you can always read it later. Since you've read "The Hobbit" there's nothing in it that you need for the story. I just wouldn't want you to read that, and think that it's an indication of what the rest of the book's like.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #17111
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
I'm reading Quicksilver and really diggin' it, but I'm not exactly sure why!
I have it on my TBR - so many books, so little time
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #17112
Gazella
Wizard

Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, there's no spoilers - it's not that sort of introduction. It's all written by Tolkien.
The one I have has an introduction by Douglas A. Anderson. That's why I assumed it would have spoilers. I haven't read it so I don't know if it does.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #17113
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
... so many books, so little time
That should be the mobileread slogan!
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #17114
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am finishing China Sea, another good Dan Lenson novel by David Poyer.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #17115
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished the re-read of The Name of the Wind, and now moving on to The Wise Man's Fear, the second in the Patrick Rothfuss series. I really enjoyed The Name of the Wind, but I'm finding Wise Man's Fear a bit slower going right now. Still enjoyable, but not gripping.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote