Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #151
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Faterson, is that right?!

That's incredible--and if true, I would truly consider getting an iPad 3/4 even now.

Do you have a web page, tech journal article, link with photos that shows this?

There are several older apps, or older versions of apps, or apps only came out for the iPhone, that I'd like to use regularly on the iPad, but that are grainy on the original iPad.
While it is generally true that iPhone apps look better on Retina iPads, this is largely due to the fact that these use the apps' built in Retina resolution (for the iPhone)... and especially older apps (before the iPhone 4) or never updated ones do not have the high resolution graphics that make them so much sharper...
The best way to watch iPhone apps on a larger screen (if that's your main goal) is to load them on an iPad Mini that is jailbreaked and has RetinaPad installed...
You get almost native resolution out of the apps and the screen is finer than on the iPad 1 and 2... Plus, if you have older apps, they will not look as horrible as on the bigger screens...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #152
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Quote:
Faterson, is that right?!
Yes, it's absolutely true, Robinson. Unlike johnnyb, I haven't encountered a single iPhone app that doesn't display crystal-clear on my iPad 3. You know, I avoid trashy iPhone apps -- I mostly use top-quality apps, and those have all been upgraded for iPhone 4 (at least!) by now. Goodness, the introduction of iPhone 4 and the Retina screen seems like ages ago --although it's not even been 3 years.

Quote:
That's incredible--and if true, I would truly consider getting an iPad 3/4 even now.
You won't regret it! I'd definitely go for iPad 4, however. Despite the backlash (that I cannot understand), I really like the Lightning connector -- it's so much better not just because it's smaller, but because it can be inserted both ways, much like the MagSafe connector on MacBooks -- to me, that's a substantial bonus. (There are hardware improvements in iPad 4, too.)

Quote:
Do you have a web page, tech journal article, link with photos that shows this?
Nope, but you can truly believe me that at least all of my iPhone apps are crystal-clear on iPad 3's screen. They still look ridiculous and out-of-place, of course, due to their huge fonts -- but they are definitely usable on a long-term/regular basis, whereas looking at a monstrously grainy iPhone app on an iPad 1 or iPad 2 screen was likely to give me a headache within 5 minutes of use.

I do have one picture for you to look at... Check out the screenshot attached to this post. It shows the email notification with your MobileRead post, as displayed in the faboulous Mailbox app. As you perhaps know, Mailbox currently is only available for iPhone. Yet I use it on my iPad 3 every day, throughout the day! Apple's "Mail" app is so maddeningly dumb compared to Mailbox, I kicked it out of my dock on both the iPhone and iPad, the day my Mailbox account got activated.

Any screenshots will by necessity distort what you would see with your own eyes on an iPad 3 screen, but the screenshot attached to this post is an unedited screenshot of how Mailbox, an iPhone app, looks on my iPad 3 screen. All very nice and smooth, as you can, hopefully, see -- just the oversized fonts look weird, which is to be expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mailbox_iPhone_app_on_iPad_3.png
Views:	315
Size:	514.5 KB
ID:	103384  
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #153
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
This has just occurred to me...

What's the best way to demonstrate the difference between a Retina-screen iPad and a non-Retina-screen iPad?

Open an iPhone-only app on the iPad, and press the "2x" button. The difference will be so brutal it will make your eyes pop up. On a non-Retina-screen iPad, such an iPhone app will be grainy like hell. It will literally hurt your eyes to look at it. But on a Retina-screen iPad, the same iPhone app will show no graininess. (Though it still won't be optimised for the larger screen, of course, so its use on an iPad can't be recommended.)
Would you please give a recommendation for an iPhone only game app to try and where is the 2x button?

Thanks.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #154
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

I no longer play games on my iDevices -- not even my beloved chess -- there's just not enough time. So I can't oblige you regarding games. As johhnyb explained, if a particular iPhone game has already been upgraded for iPhone 4's Retina screen (which it definitely should have, by 2013!), then it will appear crystal-clear on an iPad 3 or iPad 4 screen.

As to the "2x" button, that's easy. It will automatically appear at the bottom right corner of your iPad screen, as soon as you open an iPhone-only app on an iPad. So, you press that "2x" button, and the iPhone app will fill out almost the entire iPad screen. You can see it in my screenshot I have just posted above. (In my screenshot, you can see the "1x" button -- pressing that, the iPhone app would display in its original iPhone resolution, leaving most of the iPad's screen empty.)
Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #155
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I no longer play games on my iDevices -- not even my beloved chess -- there's just not enough time. So I can't oblige you regarding games. As johhnyb explained, if a particular iPhone game has already been upgraded for iPhone 4's Retina screen (which it definitely should have, by 2013!), then it will appear crystal-clear on an iPad 3 or iPad 4 screen.

As to the "2x" button, that's easy. It will automatically appear at the bottom right corner of your iPad screen, as soon as you open an iPhone-only app on an iPad. So, you press that "2x" button, and the iPhone app will fill out almost the entire iPad screen. You can see it in my screenshot I have just posted above. (In my screenshot, you can see the "1x" button -- pressing that, the iPhone app would display in its original iPhone resolution, leaving most of the iPad's screen empty.)
Tried downloading the iPhone weather channel app in one of the Apple stores today to check this out on both a 2 and 4. At least now I have a handle on what you posted. I know there is an iPad app as well so I will delete the iPhone one.

I also did the Siri text to speech from that thread for having a book read to me. No one seemed to know about it in the Apple store I was in. I also downloaded voice dream app free version to check that out further as well.

Also, I download some of the readdle apps that were freebies so I can at least check those to see what I might want to buy.

You guys are good, I am going to go back to previous threads in this forum since I recently got an iPad and see what else might interest me.

Last edited by robertc88; 03-24-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #156
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Much appreciated!

2x mode for older iPhone apps on the iPad. I asked if they truly displayed crisply on a Retina Display iPad.

Quote:
Yes, it's absolutely true, Robinson. Unlike johnnyb, I haven't encountered a single iPhone app that doesn't display crystal-clear on my iPad 3. You know, I avoid trashy iPhone apps -- I mostly use top-quality apps, and those have all been upgraded for iPhone 4 (at least!) by now.

You won't regret it! I'd definitely go for iPad 4, however.
Say, thanks for the reply, details, and screen shot. Looks good. I have several old iPhone apps that have been upgraded--but they either changed the interface--e.g.,Washington Post--or moved to a different model (e.g., within Newsstand)--or added ads-- so, I've been using the older version at 2x on the original iPad.

Another wonderful app is Starmap Pro for iPhone, but it's extra $$ for the iPad, and I don't use it enough to justify the money there. Even the latest SMP for the iPhone (which I run on an iPhone 4 and looks great there) looks impossibly cartoonish on the original iPad.

I'll have to figure out a way to install one of them on an iPad at Best Buy or an Apple Store and see what 2x looks like. Don't know if a sales person will do that for me or not!

Last edited by robinson; 03-31-2013 at 11:18 AM.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #157
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're not alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I must be the only one who can't see that much of a difference with the retina. My phone has it and I just don't notice the difference. I have an iPad 2 I got just when the iPad 3 came out, and I regret it. The mini is much smaller and lighter. I only use the full-size one for work now, and while that means it does get use, it was very expensive. And now that Apple has released so many more so quickly, its resale value is negligible. Had I known then what I know now, I would have kept my iPad 1 for work and then just waited for the mini.
You are definitely not alone.

Who Sees the World This Way?

In spite of blanket assertions by Retina Display advocates that the difference in display is tremendous and that *everyone* sees it--many people, maybe even most, do not see things the same way. And there have been both anecdotal and blind comparison tests that show that many people do not see or are unimpressed by the difference.

Now, there is no question that if one zooms in or enlarges the text incredibly on the display, or if one puts the i-device close to their face, etc. that most people, possibly everyone, will notice there is a difference.

Real World Experience

The point, however, is that in real world use, many people, if not most, do not see much of a difference at arm's length, at normal font sizes and zooms, etc. No matter how big a difference some of you see-- it's the reality that visual acuity and display sensitivity vary. Not *everyone* sees things the same way you do-- not *everyone* sees a major difference. It's certainly not the case that *everyone* should prefer the Retina Display or that devices without it are *sub-standard* or laughingly outdated. (The comments are not exactly that sweeping, but they feel that way! And that's why someone felts they had to write, "I must be the only one who can't see that much of a difference with the retina.")

Your Experience is Not Universal--Bald Eagles and 10-point Fonts

I realize that it's hard to believe that others do not see what is obvious to you, but that's simply the case. I have been with people who can spot a bald eagle at a great distance and others who cannot even see that there is something there--and it's hard for both groups to understand what the others can and cannot see.

The other element here is also what one is used to. Give a group of people a long document to read that's in 10-point font size--and then have them gauge the size of regular 12-point text-- it will look ridiculously LARGE. No doubt those of you who now regularly use RD screens are appalled at the older screens. But many others haven't made the transition.

The E-Ink Advocates Make the Same Mistake

Or, Why the Kindle is Not Better than the iPad

Or, for a final, more related example, users of the Kindle and Nook devices repeatedly proclaim a universal truth that LCD or iPad screens produce eye strain and that only e-ink devices are easy on the eyes and good for reading. You can find dozens of threads where Kindle or Nook users bash iPads and any backlit devices as unsuitable for reading. They are 100% certain that everyone else sees the world the way they do. Now, just because they may have gotten tired eyes or headaches using an iPad, and have had a better experience on their Kindles/Nooks, doesn't make their experience universal or their proclamations valid!

Few of us who use iPads or iPhones to read books would agree with them, yet somehow, they cannot believe that anyone could experience the display world and ereading differently from how they do! Of course, few of them adjusted the backlighting or changed the background/text colors of what they were reading--and few of them recognize that the page turn, screen flash on e-ink readers drives many of us to distraction and does produce headaches. At the same time, we need to respect that many people really do have trouble with backlit, bright, color displays for reading, such as those on the iPads, even though it's not our experience at all.

The bottom line?

De gustibus non est disputandum!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #158
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Yesterday I went to the electronics store and tried reading on an iPad mini... I always use the same PDF that I download from the web, and I did find it quite ok... Then I noticed that the buttons in Safari were quite small, smaller than I was used to (coming from an iPad 3)... I kind of looked more attentively and suddenly began noticing the grainier resolution which reminded me, in a bad way, of my dad's cheapo tablet. Upon resuming reading, I never got rid of this perception, the iPad mini was ruined for me. Something similar happened to me on my previous iPad 2 with a rather fine font in a PDF file (before the Retina screen was even out), but has never happened to me on iPad 3 and iPhone 4...
This is really anecdotal...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #159
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Anectodal but true, johnnyb. I can't wait to buy an iPad mini -- I'd really, really find excellent use for it right now. But for the reasons you state, it's impossible for me to buy a non-Retina screen device in 2013. Hopefully, Apple will deliver the improvement in the course of this year -- the sooner the better.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #160
robertc88
Fanatic

If the cellular model includes retina and stays at the same price, I will go for the Mini 2.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #161
mapabl
Enthusiast
mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: iPad Air, iPad Mini. Nook Glo, Kindle Paperwhite,
I took the plunge

Well, I for one didn't feel it was worth the wait for the iPad Mini2. Walmart still has either the black or white Mini for $299, brand new, not refurbished. The amount of time I spend in the evening reading on this great little guy is well worth having right now. Especially using Marvin as the ereader program. When I awake in the middle of the night and cannot get back to sleep, I hang out with Marvin til I'm tired again and fall back asleep. At the $300 price range, I don't feel I'll lose a lot of money if I feel the need to upgrade to the Mini2 whever it arrives and want to sell my current Mini.
This mini replaces the iTouch I used for checking mail, Facebook, etc. It is much lighter than the iPad and easier to carry in my purse/bag when I need to be gone from home. Reading during the day outside is not as pleasant as it is at night because of the glare but I don't believe having the Mini2 will alleviate that problem anyway.
I don't have any issues with the mini whatsoever. All apps have worked just fine for me. If you are on the fence, I say DO IT! Good luck.
mapabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #162
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
keep ipad mini give ipad 3 to your wife ! you wont regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Ok, not really "exchanging" ... but give my iPad 3 to wife and keep the mini for me.

I thought this was not going to happen, but I ended buying a 16GB 4G mini yesterday. Tried in the store few days ago and it's size and ergonomics impressed me. They are sold out here in Houston but by chance, I was in an Apple store when a new batch of minis arrived. ... temptation was too high and bought one.

Before I left the store, the hundreds of 16GB models were almost sold out, again, amazing!

Anyway, I previously owned a Galaxy Tab (old and new versions) and Google Nexus. Returned because device was too slow or kind of small for PDFs. So far the mini feels really good. It is big enough on landscape mode for my SQL books (PDF files) and fast enough for browsing Internet and emails.

The thing is ... the retina display is awesome on the iPad 3. However, the text is sharper on the mini, more than the iPad 2. I guess is because pixels are more compressed?

My wife does not like the mini, too small for her taste. So I have two choices: give the iPad 3 to her and keep the mini, or return the mini and buy a new iPad 3 for her (her current iPad 2 has very minor issues with volume button)

Any feedback? ... I do not watch movies or listen music. I mainly use my iPad 3 for reading PDF files or light browsing. That's why I'm so in loved with the mini's size and weight.

Thanks,
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #163
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
i love my ipad my partner was worried i wouldn't use it as i hardly touch my kindle

but im never off my ipad mini
i dont just use it as an e reader

i use it for
communication
games
writing
creating
spread sheets
music
video
audio books
drawing