Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Nexus 7 with 3G?

Is a Google Nexus 7 with 3G joining the traffic jam of tablets?

Quote:
Paul O'Brien of the tech site MoDaCo started a thread in a post Saturday that Google will offer a 3G version of the Nexus 7 in about six weeks:

"There's not a huge amount to say... a 3G version of the Nexus 7 is coming, with no other hardware changes. Asus is currently ramping production in preparation for launch in around 6 weeks, with the exact launch date and territories still to be confirmed."
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
There's certainly a market for 3G tablets, but I'm not in it. I only need WiFi on my tablets; I carry my phone with me with suffices on the go. And if I needed 3G access on my tablet, I could just tether to my phone. But good on Google to offer more choices - now let's see how much it adds to the cost.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There's certainly a market for 3G tablets, but I'm not in it. I only need WiFi on my tablets; I carry my phone with me with suffices on the go. And if I needed 3G access on my tablet, I could just tether to my phone. But good on Google to offer more choices - now let's see how much it adds to the cost.
Now if it only had voice and a Wacom pen ... then I would buy this instead of a phone.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
Man, I hope that this turns out to be true. Tethering is not always an option and I, for one, would welcome a Nexus 7 with a cellular radio built in.

Last edited by Croptop; 09-04-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Fixing typo
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Now if it only had voice and a Wacom pen ... then I would buy this instead of a phone.
Now I'm not that technical to understand this issue well. With 3G enabled, why is it not possible to add a SIM card and make/receive calls? Why should we even want to differentiate between a phone and a tablet after all?
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Now I'm not that technical to understand this issue well. With 3G enabled, why is it not possible to add a SIM card and make/receive calls? Why should we even want to differentiate between a phone and a tablet after all?
As I understand it the 3G modem may not support voice, or the software may not enable it. The original Samsung Galaxy 7" from 2010 supported voice for the international version but not for the US version (though that could be enabled via a hack). If I remember correctly no other tablet ever supported voice (I am not sure about the HTC flyer), though a number do have 3G options (iPad, Samsung 7.7").
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't need 3G on my N7. I have a 6GB phone plan for my Nexus S and no problem with tethering here in Canada. I can also use Talkatone on the N7 to make phone calls over Google Voice. I was lucky enough to sign up for it when folks here in the 403 area code could do so.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I don't need 3G on my N7. I have a 6GB phone plan for my Nexus S and no problem with tethering here in Canada.
Tethering is all fine and good as long as your tablet and your cell phone are co-located at all times. But (for me, anyway) that is not always the case.

For example, when I travel, it is much easier and cheaper to activate a simple, data-only SIM for a tablet with a decent chunk of data available to cover me while I'm away than it is to activate a pay-as-you-go cell phone with a data add-on --or worse, pay some really outrageous roaming fees to my home carrier -- so that I can tether.

Not to mention that tethering sucks through the battery on my phone. And once the phone is dead, no more tethering. So now, I have to carry around a bunch more stuff so that I can plug in my phone and/or swap the battery. But tablet equipped with 3G avoids that (and has a larger battery thus remains useable much longer).

I get it. A 3G option isn't enticing for everyone. But it certainly is for me (and some others around here).
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Be nice to see this as an option for those that want it, it's not for me though, I already pay a fee for a mobile phone, dont want another monthly fee for a tablet
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
As I understand it the 3G modem may not support voice, or the software may not enable it. The original Samsung Galaxy 7" from 2010 supported voice for the international version but not for the US version (though that could be enabled via a hack). If I remember correctly no other tablet ever supported voice (I am not sure about the HTC flyer), though a number do have 3G options (iPad, Samsung 7.7").
you're correct, it would be for data only, although it would be highly amusing to watch people with a tablet up against their ears

the product is being pushed in direct response to the potential iPad Mini which more than likely will have a 3G variant if they follow the path of its big brother.

As others have stated, I really don't care for a Cell capable variant as I mainly use Wifi around the house and at work and use free tethering that came with my phone in a pinch (which actually did come in handy while camping this past weekend ).
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I do want to have just one mobile device to go with me 24/7, and that would be a small tablet that I can use to make voice calls. Using the speakerphone function, I don't need to hold the tablet close to my ears. Simplicity is what I'm after.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

I wouldn't worry about holding a 7" tablet close to your ears for making phone calls. Perhaps Apple will soon announce their newly patented invention, the headphone!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
I do want to have just one mobile device to go with me 24/7, and that would be a small tablet that I can use to make voice calls. Using the speakerphone function, I don't need to hold the tablet close to my ears. Simplicity is what I'm after.
have you considered the Note/Note 2? smaller screen than a full fledged tablet, but has call capabilities. Of course on a tablet you also have VoIP options like Skype which work rather well (and can be cheaper than phone plans, but call quality can be quite inferior, depending on where you're calling).

One of my main concerns of a be all device is Battery life; One of the reasons I picked up a tablet was that I was running through my battery to the point I needed to have 2 spares with me just in case (charging them all at the end of the day was always a fun exercise). At least with having the separate devices, my phone is available for calls as intended, and I can still do my mobile browsing/reading/what have you with the tablet, and battery life issues have so far been managed. I used to have the same misgivings when people used their phones as MP3 players; yes, the convenience is there, but there's a good chance you might not have the battery life for the item's original purpose...

*shrug* to each their own.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard

Well, the Note 2 has a gigantic battery --- unless you stream endless videos over WiFi my guess is that you would be pretty hard pressed to run it down in one day.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about holding a 7" tablet close to your ears for making phone calls. Perhaps Apple will soon announce their newly patented invention, the headphone!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote