Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Device: M92
ssh on Onyx Boox M92

Hi!

It would be great if we could run an ssh server on the Onyx Boox M92. I managed to compile dropbear statically linked and run it. There are two problems, though:
  1. the kernel does not support the devpts filesystem, which is important for ssh login
  2. the ssh server crashes very often (always after the first command), I do not know how this is caused, though

I have attached the binary (gzipped due to forum restrictions). You additionally need a host key (use your desktop to generate it) and you have to copy your public user key to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys (do not forget to create the directory).
Attached Files
File Type: gz dropbear.gz (418.6 KB, 1064 views)
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
the kernel does not support the devpts filesystem, which is important for ssh login
Hi! I cannot try this myself right now (my M92 is still in China ) but it should be possible to kexec to a new kernel with with devpts support (if kexec is unsupported, it could be compiled as a module). I don't think there are sources for the last kernel on https://github.com/onyx-intl/ , so we should probably ask Onyx to put them online. I have little time right now, but I'd like to give this a try using qemu...

EDIT: The kernel is probably the stock one from Freescale, I'll give it a look.

Last edited by FDD; 01-05-2012 at 07:53 AM.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
Hi! I cannot try this myself right now (my M92 is still in China ) but it should be possible to kexec to a new kernel with with devpts support (if kexec is unsupported, it could be compiled as a module). I don't think there are sources for the last kernel on https://github.com/onyx-intl/ , so we should probably ask Onyx to put them online. I have little time right now, but I'd like to give this a try using qemu...

EDIT: The kernel is probably the stock one from Freescale, I'll give it a look.
The kernel version is 2.6.35.3-998-ga1cd8a7 which at least seems to be common (there is something on the web about it).

Another thing to try is to use BSD style pseudo-terminals, i.e. create the files /dev/ptyp... and /dev/ttyp...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Thumbs up

Good news! I managed to compile and use the serial gadget module, so it is now possibile to connect to the M92.
I'll try to polish the whole thing a bit and upload it in the evening.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
FDD
Connoisseur

Here we go. DISCLAIMER: you are on your own, so be careful.
Also, I tested this only on the original v1.6 firmware, but could (should?) run on the other versions.

Unzip the attached zip file somewhere in your M92 or SD card; you will find two directories, gserial and allow_root.

To login in your M92:
  1. plug the usb cable;
  2. answer "No" to the USB Connection popup;
  3. run start_usb_serial.oar from the gserial directory;
  4. your computer should detect a new serial port device. Use you favourite terminal emulator to connect to it.
  5. login with user app, no password will be asked. (Be careful, even if you are not root, permission aren't really going to protect you.)

To logout press Control+D or type exit. If you want to login again, re-run the start_usb_serial.oar command.

When you are done, logout then execute stop_usb_serial.oar without disconnecting the USB cable. The usual popup will appear.

So now you want to login as root, don't you?
Go to the allow_root directory and run root_pw_clear.oar; now you can login as root, no password asked. To restore everything as it was, run root_pw_restore.oar (will only work if you don't change the root password by hand, but if you can do that, I assume you can restore everything by yourself.) Also, does anybody knows what the original root password is?

Be careful and have fun!

EDIT: The archive was updated because I put the wrong module in there, as you can read below. Sorry guys!
Attached Files
File Type: zip gserial_M92_v16orig2.zip (21.0 KB, 1502 views)

Last edited by FDD; 02-13-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Here we go.
Did not work for me:
Code:
insmod: cannot insert './g_serial.ko': Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error
And in the dmesg
Code:
g_serial: no symbol version for module_layout
How to make it work? Thanks.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
peterx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
Did not work for me:
Code:
insmod: cannot insert './g_serial.ko': Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error
And in the dmesg
Code:
g_serial: no symbol version for module_layout
How to make it work? Thanks.
I am getting the same error. Can we somehow force the kernel to load the module? Why does it work for you, FDD?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
FDD
Connoisseur

Quote:
I am getting the same error. Can we somehow force the kernel to load the module? Why does it work for you, FDD?
Ok, I put the wrong module copy in the archive, I changed the orginal post, it should be fixed now. Give it a try!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It works fine now.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
peterx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ok, I put the wrong module copy in the archive, I changed the orginal post, it should be fixed now. Give it a try!
Absolutely great! The USB console is so much faster than ssh over Wifi and, more important: It is absolutely stable. Thanks a lot for that module!

By the way, you can use the program called "cu" to connect to a serial console under linux:

cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 115200
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Good news! I managed to compile and use the serial gadget module, so it is now possibile to connect to the M92.
I'll try to polish the whole thing a bit and upload it in the evening.
FDD, thanks!

It runs on my A62. Could you compile g_ether.ko (please!)

P.S. I can't run Qt applications from 'app' user:

Qt for Embedded Linux data directory is not owned by user 16

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 02-16-2012 at 12:37 PM.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi!

It would be great if we could run an ssh server on the Onyx Boox M92. I managed to compile dropbear statically linked and run it. There are two problems, though:
  1. the kernel does not support the devpts filesystem, which is important for ssh login
  2. the ssh server crashes very often (always after the first command), I do not know how this is caused, though
Try this. I use it with my Onyx Boox A62. It has never crashed (I used it for a month) and works quite fast.

http://pbsdk.vlasovsoft.net/files/onyx_dropbear.zip

BTW today I managed to turn on wifi without starting a web browser. I'll update this package with wifi scripts soon...

"the kernel does not support the devpts filesystem, which is important for ssh login"

Not so important ... we still can work using ssh -T ...

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 02-16-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Is it definitely the case that the kernel doesn't support devpts? On my Pocketbook device, the kernel supports it, but the OS wasn't set up for it. I got root access and fixed that by changing the permissions on /dev/ptmx and by adding the option gid=5 for devpts in /etc/fstab. Perhaps that's all that is necessary on the Onyx devices, as well.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #14
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Is it definitely the case that the kernel doesn't support devpts? On my Pocketbook device, the kernel supports it, but the OS wasn't set up for it. I got root access and fixed that by changing the permissions on /dev/ptmx and by adding the option gid=5 for devpts in /etc/fstab. Perhaps that's all that is necessary on the Onyx devices, as well.
ssh server (dropbear) on Onyx is started from root user and I login to Onyx as root, so it is not the question of permissions I think...

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 02-17-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #15
peterx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
If you want to mount the devpts filesystem, the kernel responds with something like "unknown filesystem type devpts" and devpts is not available as a module.