Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
B&N Classics Promotion 8/25

Huh. Looks like they've discounted the next round of books early.

Via Inkmesh, and then "barnes noble classics 0.00" search, it looks like the Friday batch is themed something along the lines of Spooky Adventure tales.

Dante's Inferno, Frankenstein, Edgar Allan Poe, Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, Dracula, Time Machine/Invisible Man, Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone, Jekyll & Hyde, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Picture of Dorian Gray.

Also a repeat of Kafka's Metamorphosis from Banned Books theme week. I was hoping that all the titles from the summer promo would be new within it, but it looks like they're running out of eligible theme titles. Oh well, at least they've been giving us really nice stuff and we're up to 94 free annotated Classics since the 4th of July, so I'm thankful.

The current B&N official promo page still has Women Who Inspired Us, so if you're interested and haven't picked them up yet, now would probably be a good time to do so while they're all still free.

Last edited by ATDrake; 08-26-2010 at 10:08 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
A few repeats, but also quite a few I really want.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yeah, I think this has been the best theme week for me so far, even if it's also the biggest one for repeats (only 7 new for my collection out of the lot).

I'm especially pleased to have annotated editions of Verne, Wilde, Frankenstein, and Wilkie Collins, whom I've been meaning to try for ages.

And also, I should note that unlike the usual public domain translations that B&N uses, Metamorphosis & Other Stories is a new modern one, done in the 90s, with the translator's notes in the back. And Inferno is the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow version with the Gustave Doré illustrations.

And they're definitely giving value for money in the bonuses department for the Joseph Conrad title. The Introduction to that alone takes up 30 pages of in-depth story analysis of Heart of Darkness, not to mention they footnote and annotate all the other stories included, not just HoD.

So, some really nice stuff this week.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I read through the Poe and TS Elliot book so far and was really impressed by the job they do with footnotes and the lengthy introductions. There were several terms or sayings in the poems I didn't get simply because they were 19th century references and it was nice having footnotes to clear it up. I'm definitely starting in on Heart of Darkness this weekend.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote