Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Basic content for the Iliad!

It seems that many new Iliad users are missing the content files to take notes, look at example books and pictures etc.

Some of us have these files already, but since most apparently don't maybe it would be nice if somebody could upload them to their webspace for sharing. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of free traffic, so I won't be able to do that myself. If somebody else would be so nice and could host the files? We could even put up a torrent...although I doubt that would be worth the effort...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Ok, here you go:
http://www.cogitatio.de/downloads/content.zip
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
thanks tribble...:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
wiljo
wiljo began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
I'm currently trying out a bit to get a "book-like reading experience".
It's all about margins, fonts, font-size, whitespace, etc. bla-bla.
Anyway - I put up a "first try" for download. Its is the 1782 german translation of Voltaire´s "Candide". Just to be sure that copyright on the text has expired....

So it's in German, and very historic .... (nevertheless I still liked to read it...).

Download link:
http://www.espritvoltaire.de/download/iliad/kandide.zip

Maybe you have a look at it and "feed me" some comments on the "book-feel" of it???

rgds

Wiljo
wiljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
wiljo
wiljo began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
of course ... english reading iliad owners might want to take a look at:

http://www.planetpdf.com/free_pdf_eb...?CurrentPage=1

g'night

wiljo
wiljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2006, 03:41 AM   #6
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiljo
Maybe you have a look at it and "feed me" some comments on the "book-feel" of it??
I can't say how well it works on an iLiad, but some comments in general:

Over all, looks very good -- much better than I expected. Perhaps a bit too wide pages for the iLiad, but as I don't have one to check on, it's just a guess.

You've worked to avoid widows, and end-of-page hyphenation. This produces some 'jumping' when switching to/from '+1' pages. I think in at least some cases it would have been possible to avoid it -- did you try making columns slightly wider/narrower (+/- 1 pt or so) on or before these pages? It's invisible, but can help a lot. (Allowing character width changes also helps, but I suspect you've already used that?) Moving pagination to the page head would help disguise this a bit, I think. Could probably be removed as well.

A bit too many short pages ... they grate a bit on my eyes, and I think it may
be possible to avoid most of them (at the cost of some further work, of course).

Typeface is a bit 'smudgy' on a PC screen ... I expect it looks clearer on the iLiad, with its higher resolution. Looks like it needs a little extra spacing before !, and perhaps a few other 'high' symbols.

I think the 'table of contents' icon is a little too eyecatching.

And I think some hyphenations are slighty less than perfect -- probably automatic, but I don't trust the Proximity dictionaries very far. You may want to doublecheck these if you want perfection.

As you see, I'm nitpicking. This is, by and large, what I think a PDF eBook should be. I think it could use some polishing, but that's all I've been able to find in a very quick look-over.

Four and a half stars out of five for general production value! Actual iLiad value, I can't say yet, but I expect you will need only minor layout adjustments, along with some more widow-hunting, of course.

Last edited by ath; 07-18-2006 at 04:46 AM.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:49 AM   #7
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
out of pure curiosity, ath:

are you doing this as a profession or are you just an enthusiast on typesetting and page layout?

I actually never really bothered to think about this stuff. But it really makes a difference.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:11 AM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiljo
Maybe you have a look at it and "feed me" some comments on the "book-feel" of it???
If you make the PDF especially for the iLiald, the you should consider removing the pagination since the iLiad does that always by itself. Would give you some more space for the story aswell

The i would use different icons for the link button. and make them some shade of grey, so they are not that prominent.

And i would moove the index button to the top left corner (would be best i we could move that to the iconbar)
Old 07-18-2006, 04:15 AM   #9
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
are you doing this as a profession or are you just an enthusiast on typesetting and page layout?
Enthusiast. That's why I'm so vehement about it ... a pro can't afford to be :-)

Quote:
I actually never really bothered to think about this stuff. But it really makes a difference.
That's part of what fascinates me: so much of reading is unconscious, yet minor tweaks can almost be felt to make a difference, even if they can't always be seen by the normal reader.

There's an old story -- possibly not true -- about a library trying to figure out why one edition of a particular title remained on their shelves, while another was lent much more often. The difference was in the typography: one had generous spacing, and 'looked' more inviting and easy to read. The other looked denser, with less spacing, and generally felt 'difficult' to someone who took a look at it.

For eBooks to succeed, I think traditional typography has to be taken into account, and adapted to the new medium. I've been looking for 'good' PDF eBooks, but generally not found any -- in another thread I've recently posted this link: http://www.anders.thulin.name/ . It's perhaps another example of what eBooks can be with a bit of work ... though most of the titles may be uninviting, the Saki books of short stories are fairly readable.

This copy of Candide is above much of what I've seen so far in PDF eBooks ... I think it may have made my day ... :-)

Last edited by ath; 07-18-2006 at 04:49 AM.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:00 AM   #10
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
@ tribble: a big thank you for your content.zip file!
I'm reading the User Manual "iLiad-offline" [still not shipped ] now.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
donkaarlos
Junior Iliad User
donkaarlos began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad GONE - kindle & Kyobo
Sample news file

Hi,

Where could I get a sample newspaper file?

Pdf's work nicely and can be printed from all programs with tools like PDF-XChange print driver! Hmtl support looks promising as font scaling is possible here. Anyway software update from 2.4 to 2.6 is really needed, as functionality is still pretty limited.

-
donkaarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkaarlos
Where could I get a sample newspaper file?
I would like to see a sample aswell. CommanderROR, anyway you can get one for us?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
LittleTalker
Connoisseur
LittleTalker began at the beginning.

Reading manual. Grammar horrible. Me astounded.
LittleTalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #14
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
The manual was written by non-native english speakers.

As such I'm not overly surprised (dissapointed yes, but not surprised).
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #15
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
"Reading manual. Grammar horrible. Me astounded." are not complete sentences too.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote