Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Elisa_LADG
Elisa_LADG began at the beginning.

Device: none
Warning(opf-020)

Hello everybody,
this is my first thread, so I hope to write it in the right way...

I prepared my first e-book for a friend of mine with Sigil (vers. 0.7.4), using xhtml and css code (it's my job and so I had no problems using them).
I did epub file validation with FlightCrew and everything was ok,
but doing validation with Epubcheck (vers. 4.0.0, using command line tool) I got this:

Validating against EPUB version 2.0 - custom validation
WARNING(OPF-020): epubFilePath/OEBPS/content.opf(-1,-1):
Excessive number of spine items.
Validating using EPUB version 2.0 rules.
Check finished with warnings
epubcheck completed

...I don't understand what it means! (...because of my bad English? )
The number of <itemref> in <spine> (content.opf file) is the same number of chapters of my e-book... perhaps they are too much?

In Internet I haven't found anything about this warning... it seems I'm the only one who got it!

I'll be grateful to everyone who can help me to fix it... I'm trying for hours!
Thank you, thank you, thank you...
Elisa
Elisa_LADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Give your ePub another check with epubcheck 3.0.1. Version 4.0.0 is in alpha release and could have problems with it. I cannot' say it does for sure or not, but given that it's not yet out of alpha testing, I would stick with the 3.0.1 release.

But from the error you mentioned, it sounds like your OPF file has too many entries in the spine. It would help if you could post a copy of your OPF file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Elisa_LADG
Elisa_LADG began at the beginning.

Device: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give your ePub another check with epubcheck 3.0.1. Version 4.0.0 is in alpha release and could have problems with it. I cannot' say it does for sure or not, but given that it's not yet out of alpha testing, I would stick with the 3.0.1 release.
God bless you, JSWolf!
I did what you said and... look at what I got:

Epubcheck Version 3.0.1

Validating against EPUB version 2.0
No errors or warnings detected.

And thank you very very much for your immediate reply! Now I can go to sleep quiet! (here in Italy it's almost midnight...)
Elisa

P.S. Have I to point out that this thread has been fixed? And what should I do? Thank you also for this...
Elisa_LADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa_LADG View Post

God bless you, JSWolf!
I did what you said and... look at what I got:

Epubcheck Version 3.0.1

Validating against EPUB version 2.0
No errors or warnings detected.

And thank you very very much for your immediate reply! Now I can go to sleep quiet! (here in Italy it's almost midnight...)
Elisa

P.S. Have I to point out that this thread has been fixed? And what should I do? Thank you also for this...
There is nothing for you to do. The thread will be fine as is.

What I suggest you do is report your issue with epubcheck 4.0.0 so it can be fixed if it's not already reported by someone else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epubcheck, warning