Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What Travel/Adventure book will enthrall us in March?
The Last Days of Old Beijing: Life in the Vanishing Backstreets of a City Transformed by Michael Meyer 10 25.64%
Wild by Cheryl Strayed 10 25.64%
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson 13 33.33%
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce 7 17.95%
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne 13 33.33%
In an Antique Land: History in the Guise of a Traveler's Tale by Amitav Ghosh 9 23.08%
Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer 10 25.64%
Endurance by Alfred Lansing 7 17.95%
River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard 8 20.51%
In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'd love to read the Ron Miller's new version of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, but it seems a stretch to say it fits into the "Travel/Adventure" category. Cloud Atlas was a far better fit for the Science Fiction category than the Verne book is for Travel/Adventure.
Cloud Atlas was a horrendous fit for Science Fiction. Are you saying that Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is a worse fit then horrendous?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #62
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Personally, I think 20,000 Leagues is quite a good fit for Travel/Adventure - from a fiction point of view. Of course, I nominated it and wouldn't have done so if I didn't think it fit.

I'm a bit surprised that it's currently in the lead as I felt sure during the nomination process that people would prefer a non-fiction read for this category. But the race isn't over yet - there's still time.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #63
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'd rather read Verne than Bryson, but I hope one of the other non-fiction options wins.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #64
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'd rather read Verne than Bryson, but I hope one of the other non-fiction options wins.
Yes, I'm almost feeling guilty nominating a fiction option. I almost didn't once I saw that the first batch of nominations was resoundingly non-fiction. I mainly went ahead and nominated because it's what I intended previously. I was even a bit surprised that it was fully nominated.

I guess I underestimated the appeal of a public domain/free piece of fiction. Or maybe I underestimated the appeal of Jules Verne himself.

I know looking at the other nominations I would have found reading one of them to be a bit expensive for me as nearly none of them are in an e-library I currently have access to and the price of paperback would have been relatively exorbitant given my lack of interest in the topic.

I did see In Patagonia in one of those bargain table set-ups last weekend and I was excited until I realised they were charging $12 for a second-hand paperback.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #65
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
It's still a close race. In a Sunburned Country is only one vote behind Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and The Last Days of Old Beijing is only two behind. In an Antique Land and Seven Years in Tibet each need only three to tie and four to win. I predict this one won't be over for at least another 9 hours and 10 minutes.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 AM   #66
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I guess I underestimated the appeal of a public domain/free piece of fiction. Or maybe I underestimated the appeal of Jules Verne himself.
To be honest, I think it's the "free" that brings in the most votes. I often see in the book club votes that pd books get lots of votes and I often suspect it's the "free" that does it.
Perfecctly fine! I base my voting on availability as well and what I can get from my libraries. I then vote for the one(s), out of those, I most would like to read.
For me to go and spend money on the book club book it has to be something that REALLY grabs my interest! (I bought Black Rain last year, Tunnel People (nominated but didnt actually win) and Hal Spacejock (cheap!) a couple of years back)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #67
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
So, Science Fiction will sneak itself in again???
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #68
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Bryson edges ahead! (sorry Issybird)
It ain't over until - well - just until!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #69
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
So, Science Fiction will sneak itself in again???
I don't really think of 20,000 as science fiction. It has a fantasy/steampunk feel to me, but I guess it was science fiction at the time it was written.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #70
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I can't see any mention of it in this thread, so, just in case it fools anybody, please be aware that the Bill Bryson book is called Down Under in the UK, not In a Sunburned Country.

I assume it's called Here in Australia?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We just need 5 more votes for Wild and it can be the winner. If anyone wants a non-fiction book to win who has yet to vote, please only vote for Wild.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #72
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I did see In Patagonia in one of those bargain table set-ups last weekend and I was excited until I realised they were charging $12 for a second-hand paperback.
Lot's of $5 options on Amazon. You'd have to see about shipping, but my friend just ordered a book from the UK and for $10 including the shipping it came to Canada. I do three-quarters of my reading from the library in paper format. It's just more economical and available. A lot of books I want to read aren't even in available in eBooks.

It is one of the cheaper eBook options.

Go In Patagonia!
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Anything but Verne or Bryson or Wild! I'm easy.

That said, Beijing is a pretty cheap ebook purchase here.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

That said, Beijing is a pretty cheap ebook purchase here.
Well, it looks like it's going to be Verne or Bryson. I doubt Wild will win even though it should.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #75
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
I was just reading some reviews of Wild and you actually came to mind. I was reading along and I thought to myself, "Issybird would really hate this book!"