Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Not the 50 books you must read before you die

Iain Hollingshead from The Telegraph offers some tongue-in-cheek literary advice.

A few of my favorites:

The Outsider by Albert Camus

Read by generations of schoolchildren in the original French, this slim volume is solely to blame for the ability of thousands of A-level students to regurgitate rote-learnt essays on existentialism – and their inability to ask the way to the Louvre.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Its set-up is almost as protracted as the dull protagonist’s endless cups of coffee. Then it suddenly descends into graphic sexual violence. Sweden’s most overrated export since Ikea.

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

No, you haven’t read it either.

You can read the rest here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...e-you-die.html
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
49 Scouting for Boys by Robert Baden-Powell

Awkward to ask for in a book shop.

50 Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Scouting for girls.
This made me laugh and snort coffee down my nose...nice.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Its set-up is almost as protracted as the dull protagonist’s endless cups of coffee. Then it suddenly descends into graphic sexual violence. Sweden’s most overrated export since Ikea.
Hmm.
I have read the book a few months ago and liked it. The follow up was much better though.

IKEA is one of the best furniture shop in the UK.

astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Spoiler:
Try The Pop-up Book of Sex. Illustrated by Balvis Rubess, Paper engineered by Kees Moerbeek and Produced by Melcher Media. ISBN 978-0-06-112974-2

Last edited by wannabee; 04-02-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: O-Oh . . . . am I in trouble again? Bugger!
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
sej7278
Enthusiast
sej7278 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I have read the book a few months ago and liked it. The follow up was much better though.
i'm almost done with the 3rd one and have to say the 2nd was the worst - lets face it, nothing happened in the first 500 pages!
sej7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
i'm almost done with the 3rd one and have to say the 2nd was the worst - lets face it, nothing happened in the first 500 pages!
Hmm. I just finished watching a film. The Girl Who Played with Fire
My wife finished reading the book yesterday and we watched the film.
Film sucks but the book? It was a real page turner for me. It is full of action.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

No, you haven’t read it either.
I've got not one, but two dead tree copies, and the ebook as well. And you are so right, I haven't read any of them .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
sej7278
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmm. I just finished watching a film. The Girl Who Played with Fire
My wife finished reading the book yesterday and we watched the film.
Film sucks but the book? It was a real page turner for me. It is full of action.
is there an english film(s) yet, or is it still the dubbed swedish one?

must be a question of taste as my cousin has read fire three times this year he loves it so much, i struggled to read it once, tattoo was the best of the three by far imho.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
is there an english film(s) yet, or is it still the dubbed swedish one?

must be a question of taste as my cousin has read fire three times this year he loves it so much, i struggled to read it once, tattoo was the best of the three by far imho.
No. No English version.
Swedish with English subs
For me tattoo was like a long prequel to the trilogy. where we get to know the characters.

I will read the last book in about 2 months after I finish the first two books of the Malazan.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
No. No English version.
Swedish with English subs
The English - well, American - version is filming now, with Daniel whatsisname, the latest Bond, in the role of the investigative journalist, and some newcomer in the role of Lisbeth Salander.

She's going to have to be bloody good to play that role better than Rapace. Her performance was a once-in-a-lifetime thing. How're you going to top that, Noomi?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
sej7278
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
The English - well, American - version is filming now, with Daniel whatsisname, the latest Bond, in the role of the investigative journalist, and some newcomer in the role of Lisbeth Salander.

She's going to have to be bloody good to play that role better than Rapace. Her performance was a once-in-a-lifetime thing. How're you going to top that, Noomi?
i may watch the dubbed one instead then i can't stand daniel craig, thank god mgm is going bust so he can't ruin another bond movie!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert

Some people dismiss the upcoming Hollywood film, because it is Hollywood and they cannot make it as good as natives

I find this POV silly if not bigoted.

Lisbeth Salander is really good in both Swedish films. However, it is not enough.
If I didn't read The Girl Who Played with Fire I would not understand anything at all.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I never read the books, but saw the 6 dvd's in one day; the version with Noomi Rapace. I enjoyed it. I think she did a great job. I don't think I will read the books: not enough time/ stacks of books still to be read.
I rather like watching that kind of films on one day; like the Matrix, which I enjoyed very much, also from a philosophical point of vue.

Last edited by desertblues; 04-04-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: grammar ******#
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote