Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #16
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
First, is it possible to force FBKindle to ignore any CSS coming with a book?
AFAIU you can only ignore CSS's _fonts_. Just check the 'always use my fonts' on the CSS tab of options dialog
Quote:
Second, when you shut down the Kindle while it is in FBKindle mode it shows a (pretty empty) Amazon Screensaver, is there a way to change this?
Show nothing, or show something fancy?
The undocumented shell command is currently used to invoke the screensaver:
Code:
/usr/sbin/eips -s 5
Can this be used to show other images? Probably, I don't know.

Quote:
And since the Kindle reacts different here, is there any other difference between the Kindle sleepmode and the FBKindle sleepmode?
both programs just catch signals from the power daemon which acts at certain intervals of inactivity.
The length of this interval is a system-wide setting, and there should be a way to change this.
You can trigger the power daemon signal by sliding the power button or by simulating this action in software:
Code:
powerd_test -p
or
Code:
powerd_test -h
simulate "press" and "hold" power button action, respectively.

In a response to a 'sleep' signal current build of fbKindle just shows the screensaver and blocks its screen output.
Maybe the native framework does more.. currently unknown.

Quote:
With FBKindle to me it seems that the battery drains fast, but that just might be my imagination)
based on the assumption that refreshing eink is the most energy-hungry part of the unit,
this can be caused even by running clock shown at the right bottom.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #17
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
h1uke, if I see it right the clock does not "run".
It just stays at the time when you loaded the page and will not switch to the next minute.
And when I let the Kindle sleep in the FBK screensaver, wake it up and go back to Kindle the Kindle reacts strange. Looks like it captured all the keystrokes and puts them into action. Or something like that...

And I still think it would be great to be able to ignore the CSS that comes with the EPUB...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #18
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Quote:
h1uke, if I see it right the clock does not "run".
It just stays at the time when you loaded the page and will not switch to the next minute.
very strange. I just checked this -- my clock _does_ run. It counts even when
put into a sleep mode, and shows the right time after wake up.
Nothing special with my setup, maybe except for the fact that my fbK configuration files
were not changed manually, as suggested here, and there's no other Qt-based product installed on my k3.

Quote:
And when I let the Kindle sleep in the FBK screensaver, wake it up and go back to Kindle the Kindle reacts strange. Looks like it captured all the keystrokes and puts them into action. Or something like that...
please keep and eye on that. It is a known problem, and my current assumption that it is resolved.
FYI: when switching from fbK back to Kindle, fbK simulates a "Home" key press -- this is
the only known way to cause Kindle to refresh its screen. No neutral key was found for that purpose so far
Quote:
And I still think it would be great to be able to ignore the CSS that comes with the EPUB...
Absolutely. But please understand, that I'm not the one who initially designed and implemented this great program.
I'm just porting it (actually, helping somebody else) to a new platform, and we are not home yet.
Maybe when the dust settles we'll be able to address this issue.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
very strange. I just checked this -- my clock _does_ run. It counts even when
put into a sleep mode, and shows the right time after wake up.
Nothing special with my setup, maybe except for the fact that my fbK configuration files
were not changed manually, as suggested here, and there's no other Qt-based product installed on my k3.
Very strange indeed. I actually use the indicator settings posted by Jetfin in the first post, can you post your indication section to compare it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
Absolutely. But please understand, that I'm not the one who initially designed and implemented this great program.
I'm aware of this, I was just hoping that I just oversaw something!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
h1uke
Zealot

Quote:
can you post your indication section to compare it?
/mnt/us/fbKindle/share/FBReader/default/config.xml :
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<config>
	<group name="Style">
		<option name="Base:fontFamily" value="Georgia"/>
		<option name="Base:fontSize" value="9"/>
	</group>
  <group name="Scrollings">
    <option name="Delay" value="0"/>
  </group>
  <group name="Options">
    <option name="LeftMargin" value="4"/>
    <option name="RightMargin" value="4"/>
    <option name="KeyDelay" value="0"/>
    <option name="BookPath" value="/mnt/us/FBReader/books:/mnt/us/FBReader/FBooks"/>
    <option name="DownloadDirectory" value="/mnt/us/FBReader/books"/>
  </group>
  <group name="Indicator">
    <option name="PositionText" value="true"/>
  </group>
</config>
also, I don't have any custom keys defined.
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 02:57 AM   #21
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Is there anyway to make fbKindle appearance exactly the same as my Kindle setup? I have default typeface and words per line, large linespace, and the 4th smallest font size. I've tried tweaking the settings, but I have no idea what the font the "regular" one is and the other information.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #22
jetfin
Enthusiast
jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KPW, K3, K2i, K2US
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Is there anyway to make fbKindle appearance exactly the same as my Kindle setup? I have default typeface and words per line, large linespace, and the 4th smallest font size. I've tried tweaking the settings, but I have no idea what the font the "regular" one is and the other information.
funny you mention this because i was wondering the same thing...

the font is 'helvetica lt medium 65'. you'll have to get a copy of it and put it in the fonts folder mentioned in the first post. i set my left/right margins to 40 and linespacing to 1.9 and thats pretty close to what i see on my k3...

Last edited by jetfin; 11-23-2010 at 07:00 AM.
jetfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #23
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfin View Post
Didn't Dhza himself say that andy wooden did the original/first port? Or did google translate skew things so much?
Here is what I got:
Anyhow, I think they both did a great job and hope they find some way to branch back into one tree...
you are in fact right, and I certainly appologize for providing uncheked info. I have updated the post as follows to correct for my omissions:

FBreader (Dhza) - use of some certain code and tools that was shared by andy wooden, a distinctive vision for the project but some doubtfull decisions on the code and need of Kindle restart before use, the developer suggested that he intends to continue on and work on the project.
fbKindle (andy wooden) - some original code and tools, some nice improvements when comparing to FBreader(no kindle restart needed for the code to operate), prefered by the majority, the developer has suggested that support and new features for this implementation might be irregular.
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
I would prefer it the other way since FBKindle looks way better
(with some space between paragraphs)!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #25
coolbird
coolbird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
How to change the top and bottom margin on library tree view? On mine, the top and bottom are cut off. and I don't know how to change the display font size on the library view either, if I organize the books by authors, then the authors' name are too big compare the books' name.

Another problem I have is if I read the chinese books, the spacing between paragraph is goofed up, like no spacing between paragraph, and I could't find out what control it. The regular line space is fine and can be controlled by the line spacing item in the option, weird thing is I don't have this problem in English books. The books are in epub format.
coolbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #26
h1uke
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfin View Post
the font is 'helvetica lt medium 65'. you'll have to get a copy of it and put it in the fonts folder mentioned in the first post
a simpler, and, probably, better alternative is to point the Program to the directory
where your system fonts reside. This can be accomplished by editing the goqt.sh script
sitting in a root directory of fbKindle/FBReader. Find the line
Code:
export QT_QWS_FONTDIR=`pwd`/qtKindle/lib/fonts
and replace it with
Code:
export QT_QWS_FONTDIR=/usr/java/lib/fonts
BTW, if we're discussing the goqt.sh ...
fbKindle/FBreader is capable of showing dialogs and menus in many native languages:
in goqt.sh find the line
Code:
./"$1" -qws
and replace it with
Code:
./"$1" -qws -lang <your_preferred_language_code>
langage code is a two-letter sequence representing the language.
Default is en which stands for English. Following interface languages are currently supported:
Code:
[root@kindle fbKindle]# ls share/FBReader/resources/
ar.xml  de.xml  es.xml  fr.xml  id.xml  lt.xml  ru.xml  uk.xml  zh.xml
cs.xml  en.xml  fi.xml  hu.xml  itxml  nl.xml  sv.xml  vi.xml
[root@kindle fbKindle]#
(uk stands for Ukrainian...)
Old 11-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #27
jetfin
Enthusiast
jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KPW, K3, K2i, K2US
Nice h1uke -This is the perfect solution for me! Thnx!
jetfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #28
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading
trksh22 is on a distinguished road

Device: K2
I'm not sure what's supposed to happen but after i press shift then F then R for fbkindle, my screen sort of blanks. And the only way I can see my titles again are if I scroll over them. It doesn't seem to notice my test epub.... Can someone please clear up what I am doing wrong?
trksh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #29
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Keeping <shift> pressed or not?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:11 AM   #30
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Is it supports all languages or UTF-8 ? or just for Latin language ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote