Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Sony Store epub ebook on Nook?

I read on the web that Sony and Nook can share DRM ebpub book. The article is kind of old therefore I want to confirm the information with people on the forum.

I have been using Sony for a while and have a good collections of DRM and Free epub books. I am thinking of getting a nook for my daughter but don't want to re purchase a lot of books.

Can I transfer booked I purchased at Sony store to Nook? and Can I do the reverse (purchased from nook store and put it on the Sony?).

Thanks
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
First off, the Nook will need to be registered to the same Adobe Digital Editions account that your Sony is linked to if you wish to share.

Second, The Nook can read ebooks purchased from Sony but your Sony Reader cannot read ebooks purchased through Barnes and Noble. B&N ePubs use a different DRM scheme that only Nooks can read, but the Nook can also read the DRM that Sony and all other retailers use.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
thanks
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Of course you could strip DRM and be as free as a bird and read what you want on the device of your chosing...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I would buy your daughter a Sony ereader
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
In my experience the B&N store has not switched to ePUB when downloading to a computer (Windows or Mac). You always get a PDB. Apparently a D/L to Nook directly gets an ePUB.

If you are dead-set on buying ePubs, and really want to use the B&N store, you need to go with the Nook... though I suspect that in a few months the B&N store will be fully converted to ePUB (customer service was a bit stymied too).

I personally did not like the Nook demo unit *at all*... and I was excited and ready to be dazzled. The Sony Readers are much better designs IMHO. And you can buy books, strip the DRM, and be legal for use on any device. (B&N can be stripped too, but I the whole can't get an ePUB was short of a show stopper... security by obscurity to the max!)

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I just looked on my nook, and the only files that are PDB is the dictionary. The rest are all epub, which I did not expect since I know that some of the books I bought a few months ago were PDB, but at some point B&N changed to epub.

That said, however, I want to buy a PRS300 as the nook is awk to hold and carry, and the software is rather buggy, internet webpages slow, battery life poor when wifi is on, and the touch screen blinks at me a lot even though I turned off the auto brightness. I am thinking of selling it as I don't have the patience to wait for updates to correct the problems. I had a 505 and loved it, but sold it before the battery needed replacement.

Last edited by peitsao; 05-09-2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: more info
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I just looked on my nook, and the only files that are PDB is the dictionary. The rest are all epub, which I did not expect since I know that some of the books I bought a few months ago were PDB, but at some point B&N changed to epub.

That said, however, I want to buy a PRS300 as the nook is awk to hold and carry, and the software is rather buggy, internet webpages slow, battery life poor when wifi is on, and the touch screen blinks at me a lot even though I turned off the auto brightness. I am thinking of selling it as I don't have the patience to wait for updates to correct the problems. I had a 505 and loved it, but sold it before the battery needed replacement.
Just be warned that Sony's implementation of ADE (the part that reads ePUBs) is just north of horrible. There are no headers, even when they appear in the document (I tried a B&N book as a test). It also does not justify the text, regardless of the formatting flags in the ePUB. And it prints these silly page numbers on the right/center that sometimes overlaps with the actual book text!

This is why I am still a fan of LRF, as it formats very nicely on the Sony Readers (I swear I'm considering applying for a job at Sony just to fix this mess!). I don't use Calibre, but I'm betting it converts ePUB to LRF. In which case, you're fine. You also want to make sure you can use the B&N ePUB de-DRM program on all the books you've already purchased, since you can't use DRMed B&N ePUBs on the Sony Reader.

The PRS-300 is $149 just about everywhere right now, though. So if your mind is already made up, this is the time to buy! (I just got a PRS-505, and am still tempted by the low priced PRS-300!)

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote