Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Guidelines for surveys?

Hi,

I'd really like it if there were some posted guidelines for people wanting to conduct or link to their "surveys" on Mobileread. Not the just-for-fun internal polls, of course, but others.

These should include, in my opinion, disclosure who the person posting the survey is, their commercial/academic affiliations, the exact purpose of the survey (market research? a school project? other?), whether responses will be anonymous, what personal information will be obtained (for example, some surveys grab IP addresses of respondents), how the information obtained will be handled and stored, and contact details for the person conducting the survey.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
That sounds like a good idea. I just don't take part in the surveys list at MR. I'm just too cynical and always think that there is an ulterior motive. Maybe something like this would make me a little more willing to participate. Of course, there would need to be honesty on the survey creators part. Here comes Mr. Cynical again.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I agree also. Your suggestion has some similarities (I think) to earlier suggestions about guidelines for designing ebooks from 19th century originals which went nowhere. I wish you every success in establishing guidelines for surveys, and would be glad to help in any way I can.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I don't see the similarity, but thanks for the support. I'm always suspicious of people coming in, not saying who they are, and linking to their external polls. A fair few of the surveys show all the signs of having been slapped together and not pilot-tested, and I really wonder what is going on and why exactly they want the information they're trying to solicit.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I don't see the similarity, but thanks for the support. I'm always suspicious of people coming in, not saying who they are, and linking to their external polls. A fair few of the surveys show all the signs of having been slapped together and not pilot-tested, and I really wonder what is going on and why exactly they want the information they're trying to solicit.
While it's perfectly possible that students who do not know any better simply try to do a survey that way, there are several more disingenuous reasons I can think of.

Driving traffic to an affiliate link is among the simplest I can think of.

It can range from there all the way to being the beginnings of a long con of some kind.

I like the survey guidline idea. The contact info is key among them. Not just an email address for the poster, but real verifiable contact info to the school department, marketing company, teacher in charge of the project, sponsor, or whomever.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote