Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
ezpdf pop up menu changes?

I am testing out ezpdf reader and liking it so far. But there is one problem I am having which I have not been able to figure out.

While reading some of my pdf documents, when I press on a word, I get the following pop-up menu (which is the one I want): "copy search web send colordict highlight underline strike-out addannot."

However, in other files, I do not get this menu, instead I get: "sticky-note freehand figure text-box image," which does not contain any of the options I need to use.

Anybody have any idea why the menu is changing like this? So far I have not been able to locate a setting which would allow me to control this, but maybe I have missed it.

Last edited by sovre; 02-22-2012 at 08:34 PM.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
The files where you get the "sticky-note freehand figure text-box image" menu are image based files; there is no actual text to select. You would get this menu if you pressed in the whitespace area of a "normal" PDF.

An easy way to tell if the PDF is text based or not is to select "Text Reflow" from the display view menu. If all you get is "this page has no text" (or if the text you are trying to select disappears), then it is image based and you cannot copy or highlight it.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
5th wiggle, thanks for your reply. Before returning to the forum, I actually ended up reaching the same conclusion you posted here as a result of tireless experimentation!

In case anyone else encounters this problem with a file containing text they want to be able to copy, highlight, etc. I also discovered a solution.

Here is what I did:

I loaded my image-based file into ABBYY Finereader. I then saved another version of the file, after selecting "text under page image" in Finereader's PDF options.

Result: I now have a file with which I can use dictionary/copy/highlight, and although the text contains some sections with non-roman characters, changing to "text under page image" did not result in a loss of or distortion of any information in the text, so far as I can see.

Last edited by sovre; 02-23-2012 at 05:04 PM.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Glad you found a solution!

Quote:
I loaded my image-based file into ABBYY Finereader. I then saved another version of the file, after selecting "text under page image" in Finereader's PDF options.
Everyone seems to recommend Finereader, now you've given me another reason to buy it. I thank you, even if my wallet doesn't.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote