Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #31
snowski55
snowski55 began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by felonius View Post
Did yours ship with 2.12? I acquired 2.12 via IDS. It looks like there may be a problem with some versions of 2.12 and shell access, according to: this thread.

I tried running the test script there, and it had no result. I also tried doing to the test to see if my iLliad could be reflashed (getting to the boot manager, etc.) and all that happens is that the screen goes "white" for a second, and the system restarts itself. I'm wondering if the Shell Access stuff just doesn't install correctly (even though I've tried about 4 times now).
I feel like some type of developer stuff is being installed properly, because it recognizes that a .sh file is executable, but when I try to execute, screen just flashes briefly, but nothing else happens. Also, just to reiterate, the folder "mrxvt" is in the root of the internal memory. Definitely no spaces.
Thanks!
-Ben

Last edited by snowski55; 03-17-2008 at 04:31 PM.
snowski55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #32
felonius
felonius began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Do you have spaces in the folder names in the path to your shell script? That's usually the only reason it would fail...
No spaces, I noticed that mention on the iRex forum. I generally try to run it from a USB Flash Drive, but I'm going to try running the test script, and quite possibly mrxvt, directly from the device, transferring via USB. (I generally use the flash drive because it's about 80x easier for me. I have Linux at work, and Mac at home...)
felonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #33
Acid
Acid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Well, there is the same situation in my case.. after the "format" option in reflash process and successful developer package downloading the .sh scripts aren't launching. Ever test.sh script isn't started...
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #34
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Unzip the attached file and put it anywhere on your iLiad and run it. It should make a file in the books directory called "HelloWorld.txt". If it does not, there's a problem with your shell package install.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tester.zip (208 Bytes, 959 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #35
felonius

Quote:
Unzip the attached file and put it anywhere on your iLiad and run it. It should make a file in the books directory called "HelloWorld.txt". If it does not, there's a problem with your shell package install.
Second verse, same as the first. I tried both your test script, and the script that's on the iRex forum. I tried them on USB, and directly on the iLliad (from the "Documents" folder). No matter what, it's the same result.

I guess the only option is to wait for an update from iRex? We can't exactly reflash because that requires the shell access to be working correctly. I've downloaded the shell access three times, and every time it restarts when finished, on its own. As near as I can tell, I've done everything correctly...
Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #36
snowski55

Quote:
I put tester.sh in the root directory, and tried to run it. The icon shows a folder with an X in it, and the screen simply refreshed, nothing happened. Just like felonius, nothing works. I guess it's the developer package install that isn't working since I can't run scripts? Who is in charge of getting this developer package to work with this software?

Mine is:

Software version 2.12
Software build number 21201
Kernel version 2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-irex1 #21100

Also, When I hit the top right button to go to download history, it only has "Release Notes v2.12", should it also have the developer package that it downloads listed there?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #37
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowski55 View Post
I put tester.sh in the root directory, and tried to run it. The icon shows a folder with an X in it, and the screen simply refreshed, nothing happened. [...]
So did you check in the books folder [clicking iLiad BOOKS button] for a HelloWorld.txt?
Without dev package you can't get a screen refresh, when you click on a .sh file in contentlister. That's why I don't understand, you got ones.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #38
felonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
So did you check in the books folder [clicking iLiad BOOKS button] for a HelloWorld.txt?
Without dev package you can't get a screen refresh, when you click on a .sh file in contentlister. That's why I don't understand, you got ones.
Not to speak for snowski here, but I think that, whatever the problem may be, snowski and I are in the same boat.

I check in the books section in the content lister, and it was empty. I checked the "docs" section when I ran the test script from the iRex forums.

Later, when I get home, I'll try checking to see if there's a permissions issue... Since you say that it shouldn't even refresh (I didn't check behavior before installing the developer stuff on my iLiad, so I don't know what behavior should be different) there must something that's preventing it from creating files... Or maybe the issue lies elsewhere. I'm kinda grasping at straws here.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #39
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
W/o dev package there should be no LED blicking, refreshing of screen or progress bar, because contentlister doesn't know a way to handle shell scripts.

So if you get any of the three 3 symptoms, you have an installed/corrupt dev package.

[EDIT] The shell script which Adam B. posted is working on my iLiad.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #40
snowski55

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
W/o dev package there should be no LED blicking, refreshing of screen or progress bar, because contentlister doesn't know a way to handle shell scripts.

So if you get any of the three 3 symptoms, you have an installed/corrupt dev package.

[EDIT] The shell script which Adam B. posted is working on my iLiad.
Sounds like problem is dev package then, because indeed I do get those 3 symptoms you speak of, but no created helloWorld.txt or any other result of a script. Should I be downloading the dev package wirelessly, or should I plug it in with the ethernet cord? Could this be a problem? I've been doing it wirelessly this whole time..
-Ben
Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #41
snowski55

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowski55 View Post
Sounds like problem is dev package then, because indeed I do get those 3 symptoms you speak of, but no created helloWorld.txt or any other result of a script. Should I be downloading the dev package wirelessly, or should I plug it in with the ethernet cord? Could this be a problem? I've been doing it wirelessly this whole time..
-Ben
I just downloaded dev package again with a wired connection, still no change. I'm out of ideas.. All I can think is dev package is incompatible with the kernel I have on this thing.. Does anyone with my same kernel have their dev package working? Or, the people who it is working for, what kernel do you have?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #42
amirshim
amirshim doesn't litteramirshim doesn't litteramirshim doesn't litter

Device: irex iliad
I'm having the exact same problem as felonius and snowski... I had developer access working until I installed 2.12 a couple of days ago and pushed the developer package.

It definitely seems that the developer package is getting installed since the screen blinks on clicking, but the scripts are not running.

I reflashed (full "format") back to 2.10 and re-installed all the updates and developer package and I have the exact same problems.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the model?
I have ER0100-002
What do other people with this problem have? (and those who don't)

Everything else seems to be constant...
Software version: 2.12
Software build number: 21200
Kernel version: 2.4.19-rmk7-pxa-irex1 #21200
amirshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #43
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Hi i have a similar problem with my Iliad. I had 2.12 and shell access working properly, but i had to send it to replace the battery and now i cant run any program.
Obviously they did something that it is not compatible with the shell access. I hope they fix it soon.
My syntoms are the same, request developer package, downloads, unpacks, restarts but when i try to run any script or program the light flashes and the screen refreshes and that´s all, the program doesnt run.

Jose

Last edited by templario; 03-18-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: To complete post
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #44
felonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirshim View Post
I'm having the exact same problem as felonius and snowski... I had developer access working until I installed 2.12 a couple of days ago and pushed the developer package.

It definitely seems that the developer package is getting installed since the screen blinks on clicking, but the scripts are not running.

I reflashed (full "format") back to 2.10 and re-installed all the updates and developer package and I have the exact same problems.

I have ER0100-002

Everything else seems to be constant...
Software version: 2.12
Software build number: 21200
Kernel version: 2.4.19-rmk7-pxa-irex1 #21200
daudi, in post 27, indicated his software, which was identical to snowski's in every number. daudi seems to not be having any issues. You and I have the same software, though our hardware seems to differ slightly. Product Type for me is ER0140...

Perhaps they changed something about the dev access recently. This would allow people before a certain time/date to work without issue, but people who install now will have problems?

I really feel like I keep ending up back at square one, with having to wait for iRex to change something.

It's too bad these aren't cheaper, I'd say it would be great for someone who has it working right now to try on a second iLliad and see what happens...
Old 03-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #45
snowski55

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirshim View Post

I have ER0100-002
Rest of my details:
Product Type : ER0141
Language set: 002
OEM code : 000
Country code: 000
PCBA revision : 7
EPD ID: E2107620