Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
iRex DR800SG is now shipping...

Engadget is reporting that the iRex DR800SG is shipping from Best Buy in the US and the price is back to $399.

You remember this unit, the 8inch with 3G wireless included. Who knows what that does.

Who will be the first to order this one?

Via: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/17/i...%28Engadget%29

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 02-18-2010 at 12:02 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
From Engadget:-

"Price is back to being listed at the proper $399.99 tag and given the recent proliferation of e-readers in the market, we can't blame you if you're not immediately reaching for your wallet..."

Pretty much says it all; really not the best of times to be putting out large-format e-ink readers.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I would have loved a bigger display (I thought initially). But with zooming and panning, the 6" readers are just much more portable. Well, I guess Irex is a little too late to sell one to me.

What the heck brings a company to announce devices, putting them for order on retailers and then waiting 1/4 year to actually ship them???
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I would have loved a bigger display (I thought initially). But with zooming and panning, the 6" readers are just much more portable.
Which 6" readers? The Irex is actually the same size as the Nook or the Kindle2.

Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
Which 6" readers? The Irex is actually the same size as the Nook or the Kindle2.

The unit is the same size, the screen is much bigger.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I like the width of the reading area on this one much better than on the 6" readers. I wish devices this size were more common.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
Does anyone know if the display is any different from the Iliad. I like the my Iliad but would like a "whiter" display. Is the DR800SG display any better?
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:

While the Irex is as tall as the Kindle, it is also wider. It is significantly both wider and taller than the PRS-600.

Which can be either a bad thing or a good thing, depending on one's needs, but it's not the *same* thing.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
That's one of the reasons I had my eye on it before it was launched: a bigger screen without the device itself getting much bulkier.

My interest died a quick death when the European price was announced... €499,=. Thanks, but no thanks.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maike13 View Post
Does anyone know if the display is any different from the Iliad. I like the my Iliad but would like a "whiter" display. Is the DR800SG display any better?
That probably depends on what generation iLiad you had. The more recent ones featured the viziplex screen which was noticeably better than the earlier version. However, all of the eink screens are far from white backgrounds. They are still very much light gray.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Just out of curiosity, what is available through Irex's ebook mall? Does it link to Google Books?
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
it's Barnes and Noble
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
it's Barnes and Noble
I meant besides B&N. The screen shots I've seen show an Irex newstand in addition to "Barnes & Noble" and various subscribed newspapers.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
From Engadget:-

"Price is back to being listed at the proper $399.99 tag and given the recent proliferation of e-readers in the market, we can't blame you if you're not immediately reaching for your wallet..."

Pretty much says it all; really not the best of times to be putting out large-format e-ink readers.
I don't know what the problem is. It has nearly the same size as an Irex Iliad, the same solution and 'kicks' Readers like Sony.

Today I would buy an Irex Reader 1000S but for a smaller device I wouldn't buy an Iliad I would buy this device.

And 400 USD are around 330 Euro - that's very cheap for that device ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote