Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
kwsong
Enthusiast
kwsong began at the beginning.

Device: PBR 602
My New PBR 602 - Dead?

Hi,

I got my PBR 602 just yesterday. I got it with the wall charger. I followed the instructions on the on-line manual to charge it for 8~12 hours.

So I plugged the e-reader to the wall. Immediately, the reader powered on, but I turned it off. The orange/yellow charge like was blinking, but I thought that was what it was suppose to be doing.

I woke up this morning, and the light was still blinking. It was well-over 12 hours, so I decided to try and power it on.

And I was able to power it on, and it looked like the battery hadn't charged at all.

So I powered it off. Then I tried to plug the reader to my laptop to see if it would charge. But then, the charger light didn't come on at all. I tried to power the reader on, but it wouldn't power on.

I tried to plug the reader to the wall charger. No light. Can't turn the power on.

So I don't know what I could've done wrong. I've e-mailed and voice messaged a few people, and I'm waiting for an answer. Needless to say, I'm rather upset and feeling a bit anxious to hear something back.

Can someone tell me what I did wrong? What should I do? Does it sound like I could get a replacement?

Best,

Ki Song
kwsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Try hard reset while plugged in to charger. This helps with older versions when the battery is too depleted.

Also have a look when you plug it in. It might be asking if you want to charge it or copy files.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
kwsong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Try hard reset while plugged in to charger. This helps with older versions when the battery is too depleted.

Also have a look when you plug it in. It might be asking if you want to charge it or copy files.
Thanks you. I did the hard reset while plugged, and it seems like it's working again.

But it's not asking me whether I want to charge it or copy files... (I'm using a wall-charger btw.) I mean, I've had it off and plugged in for well-over 12 hours...

I hope I didn't completely f****ed up the battery.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
kwsong
Enthusiast

Over 15+ hours of Charging is normal?

So thanks to kacir's advice, the yellow/orange light is back.

But it's been over 15 hours now. Should be taking this long for its first charge?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Hello,

I saw your email just now and I was going to reply with the same advice as Kacir. Mainly the reset. I would think that it is charged now but it might be that it wasnt charging at all when the light was not on that first while.

I would give it a good 8 hours since the reset you did and it should be charged. at that point unplug it from the charger, boot it up and check the battery level.

-Charlie
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsong View Post
But it's not asking me whether I want to charge it or copy files... (I'm using a wall-charger btw.)
Older versions have three options.
- when I plug the device in start charging
- when I plug the device in start USB communication with device
- when I plug the device in ask me what to do.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
kwsong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Older versions have three options.
- when I plug the device in start charging
- when I plug the device in start USB communication with device
- when I plug the device in ask me what to do.
Should this be the case with 602? Could it be that I'm not being given these options because I'm connecting to a wall charger rather than a computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Hello,

I saw your email just now and I was going to reply with the same advice as Kacir. Mainly the reset. I would think that it is charged now but it might be that it wasnt charging at all when the light was not on that first while.

I would give it a good 8 hours since the reset you did and it should be charged. at that point unplug it from the charger, boot it up and check the battery level.

-Charlie
This is very strange.

I mean the whole deal with the light not being on was for all about an hour or so, but not more than 2 hours. When I plugged it in yesterday around 7:30 pm, the charge light was blinking and it continued to do so, until I unplugged it and tried to connect it to the computer.

Does the wall charger charge slower than plugging it directly to the computer?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Should this be the case with 602? Could it be that I'm not being given these options because I'm connecting to a wall charger rather than a computer?

This is very strange.

I mean the whole deal with the light not being on was for all about an hour or so, but not more than 2 hours. When I plugged it in yesterday around 7:30 pm, the charge light was blinking and it continued to do so, until I unplugged it and tried to connect it to the computer.

Does the wall charger charge slower than plugging it directly to the computer?
Please check the charger if enough energy is supplied. That's a known issue. better use the PC and a USB cable for first charge.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
kwsong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Please check the charger if enough energy is supplied. That's a known issue. better use the PC and a USB cable for first charge.
How do I check this?

The wall charger I am using, as you may have guessed is the charger that comes with the comfort package.

The outlets here in New York are 120 Volts if I am not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure that the charger said 120 Volts... maybe I'm wrong.

Does this mean that the wall charger is virtually useless, or is it only for the first charge? The reason I got the comfort package was for the charger If this is the case, would it be possible to return the charger for a partial refund?

Thanks!

Ki Song
Old 11-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ki Song,

In the Settings you can choose between the 3 options as Kacir said above. The wall charger you have is perfectly adequate for charging the device. It SHOULD charge faster than over USB.

Does the device show full battery now?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
kwsong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ki Song,

In the Settings you can choose between the 3 options as Kacir said above. The wall charger you have is perfectly adequate for charging the device. It SHOULD charge faster than over USB.

Does the device show full battery now?
How do I get to this "settings"?

No, it's still yellow/orange and blinking.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
How do I check this?

The wall charger I am using, as you may have guessed is the charger that comes with the comfort package.

The outlets here in New York are 120 Volts if I am not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure that the charger said 120 Volts... maybe I'm wrong.

Does this mean that the wall charger is virtually useless, or is it only for the first charge? The reason I got the comfort package was for the charger If this is the case, would it be possible to return the charger for a partial refund?

Thanks!

Ki Song
No the charger that came with it is perfectly adequate.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
How do I get to this "settings"?

No, it's still yellow/orange and blinking.
I mean turn it on /boot it up. see if the battery icon shows full. when the home screen comes up there will be a settings option. select it and you will find an option for USB mode. Select it and choose either PC link, Charge or ask when connected.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
kwsong
Enthusiast

Quote:
I mean turn it on /boot it up. see if the battery icon shows full. when the home screen comes up there will be a settings option. select it and you will find an option for USB mode. Select it and choose either PC link, Charge or ask when connected.
Thank you so much for your patience and attention.

I apologize for being dumb, but how can I tell whether the battery icon is full?

When I turn my PBR on, I see the battery meter at the bottom screen and I see this little lightning bolt symbol on it. Does that mean it's full?

EDIT: I just read somewhere that the lightning bolt symbol means that the device is charging.

Last edited by kwsong; 11-23-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Kind of found out the answer to my question through google. Unfortunately, it doesn't really solve my problem
Old 11-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
kwsong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ah, I was able to find the "settings." (It was under the connectivity menu) It was originally on PC link, but I changed it to "charge."

Could that have been the reason why my device isn't fully charged yet?

Anyway, I guess I have no choice but to wait and see...

Tags
602, battery, wall charger