Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
International kindle

I bit the bullet and despite reservations ordered the kindle international edition about 10 days ago. Three days ago I recieved an email to say that it had shipped. Actually I bought 2, one for my wife and one for myself.

I have a cybook gen3 but geographic restrictions are impacting on me very heavily and I think mobipocket is destined to not make it. The 160 000 books available to South Africa have tipped the scale for me.

My concern is that I have heard that the rollout of the kindle is premature and the wireless facility will not be available. That does not bother me too much but what other concerns are there around this device. It is a bit late now as it is on the way but has anyone else heard any negative news on this device?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mine's arrive, and I'm pleased with it. I think you will be too (I also have a Gen3).

I must say, the Kindle is a bit of an odd choice if you think Mobipocket is on the way out, since that's the format the Kindle uses!

Although the good news is that you can read the books you've bought for your Gen3 on the Kindle, if they don't have DRM (anymore).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I bit the bullet and despite reservations ordered the kindle international edition about 10 days ago. Three days ago I recieved an email to say that it had shipped. Actually I bought 2, one for my wife and one for myself.

I have a cybook gen3 but geographic restrictions are impacting on me very heavily and I think mobipocket is destined to not make it. The 160 000 books available to South Africa have tipped the scale for me.

My concern is that I have heard that the rollout of the kindle is premature and the wireless facility will not be available. That does not bother me too much but what other concerns are there around this device. It is a bit late now as it is on the way but has anyone else heard any negative news on this device?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
It is a bit late now as it is on the way but has anyone else heard any negative news on this device?
Most of the negative stuff I have heard is about the DRM: look for something like kindle and 1984 and you will find out that you don't buy books, you only license them.

Otherwise the 3G/cell-wireless works fine, at least here in Sweden.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
Most of the negative stuff I have heard is about the DRM: look for something like kindle and 1984 and you will find out that you don't buy books, you only license them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
No.

If Amazon decides that somebody uploaded pirated material to their store, they have the right to pull it and issue a refund. Although they don't pull the material anymore, they just politely ask you to delete it.

They aren't searching Kindles and they don't give a shit what you send to yourself. Amazon is just trying to cover their ass when it comes to their store. If they left user uploaded pirated material up on the Kindle Store, they would be opening themselves up to a massive lawsuit and the publishers/authors pulling support.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What is the real difference between the K2 and the K2 International Version? Will we K2 owners have to bite the bullet and buy an International Version if we want the International wireless support or will Amazon offer a patch for that?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert