Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Can you send drm'd pdfs to the kindle?

And how can something you copy and paste be drm'd in the first place?
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The PDF has to be DRM (and password) free.

Note that it is now possible to strip Adobe PDF DRM, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented. If you have a PDF with a password, it is also possible to produce a password-free version.

I would not personally send any file to Amazon that started out with DRM. Amazon probably does not check the files, but why take the risk when there are alternatives (e.g. Calibre or Windows MobiPocket Reader/Creator).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm continually amazed by the number of people who are determined to e-mail their books to the Kindle. In other threads, people were talking about e-mail Mobipocket books purchased elsewhere to the Kindle. I cannot believe that these people find it so difficult to plug the Kindle into the USB port on the PC and copy a book onto the Kindle.

The value of the e-mail offer from Amazon is that it includes *transformation* so that a personal file in a format that is not compatible with the Kindle can be converted to Mobipocket or Topaz. And for the Kindle owner who isn't technical and doesn't want to mess around with Mobipocket Reader, Mobipocket Creator, and Calibre, it makes sense to send the file to Amazon to be converted. But I struggle to understand why someone would send a *Mobipocket* file to Amazon. Any conversion they would perform probably won't improve it.

Since I'm not intimidated by the various software programs, I can make the same conversion. (Well, I'm still trying to grasp the regex stuff in Calibre for chapter detection.) I've only mailed one file to my Kindle, and that was just to compare their conversion to what I was producing.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

Note that it is now possible to strip Adobe PDF DRM, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented. If you have a PDF with a password, it is also possible to produce a password-free version.

I would not personally send any file to Amazon that started out with DRM. Amazon probably does not check the files, but why take the risk when there are alternatives (e.g. Calibre or Windows MobiPocket Reader/Creator).
Why bother? It's PDF. Chances are it'll look really poor when converted and won't be good read anyway. And if it's complexly formatted and with images, forget it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have tried various methods, including emailing to Amazon, and I can do a much better job myself.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
But I struggle to understand why someone would send a *Mobipocket* file to Amazon. Any conversion they would perform probably won't improve it.
There's really no conversion involved in emailing a mobi file to the Kindle, just a renaming.

Why do it?

1. Convenience. My Kindle generally "lives" in a part of the house far from my PC. So sometimes it is easier to just email a book to the Kindle rather than go grab it and plug it in. If the ebook vendor (such as Baen and Fictionwise) wants to handle this for me, so much the better. (But if I'm moving multiple books that are already on my computer, I'll plug it in and send via USB.)

2. Via a scheduled task, I generate and email my own daily "news" content in mobi format from a script I cobbled together. Nice to just have it appear on the device each day.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

Plus you if you use something like Calibre, you can set the metadata to your liking. If you email it, the title is the file name and the author is your email address.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote