Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
tidegirl
tidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS T2
Help with non amazon books

Hi all. After 7 years of resistance I am finally joining the Kindle bandwagon (two previous Sony readers). My new PW will arrive next Monday.

I have a few quick questions about the books I already own. I am converting them using Calibre- I assume AZW3 is the best format to use?

And, I downloaded the send to kindle app earlier because I would like to load the ones I have to the Cloud so if I am without my reader I can read in the same place on my phone. But when I pulled up a book to transfer it it asked me to fill in the title and the author was my name by default. Does that mean if I transfer this way I will lose my metadata? Any advice on the best way to transfer would be appreciated, or if I am better off just sideloading. It's not a huge deal, I am VERY rarely without my reader.
tidegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
You just have to type in the correct metadata before you send to Kindle - it's not very good at filling in its own blanks.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
tidegirl
tidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertidegirl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

So is it probably best to just sideload the books instead of sending them all to the cloud? Seems like a lot of work redoing all the titles, even if I copy and paste. And will other metadata be lost as well?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Similar experience with me, except I haven't used the email service on my paperwhite. Using calibre, I have loaded my converted ebooks originally purchased from Sony.

No troubles at all using this method for reading on the paperwhite, but of course the books aren't available through the Kindle app on my smartphone.

Last edited by FacebookVirus; 03-26-2014 at 07:11 AM.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
For sending to Kindle you need to send Mobi files. It won't accept AZW3. Apparently you can send some kind of hybrid of the two which Calibre can do but I don't know how to do that and I've been told you don't get covers if you do that, which I need.

Assuming you don't need an embedded font then mobi files are the ones to send. The books then appear in the Amazon cloud and can be whisper synced between devices just like any Amazon bought book.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Send to Kindle works perfectly. I usually right click on the book in Calibre, select Show in Windows Explorer, then select the mobi file, again right click, select Send to Kindle.

If the book shows up without a cover I simply delete it from my Amazon Cloud, reconvert it from mobi to mobi in Calibre, and resend. I've never had any issues with it. The title and author in the Send to Kindle box is always the same as in Calibre.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I read azw3 files on my paper white all the time and it does not seem to have a problem reading any of them.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I read azw3 files on my paper white all the time and it does not seem to have a problem reading any of them.
That isn't what was stated. What was said (and is perfectly true) is that you can't email AZW3 files to the Kindle; you can only email Mobi files. You can of course sideload AZW3 files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
tidegirl

I do like having covers, but I don't necessarily need them. I guess I can try both methods and see which I like best. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
JMBlackie
JMBlackie began at the beginning.

Device: (Kindles) Touch, Fire HD, Paperwhite2
I had problems with MY MOBI books losing covers, as my Paperwhite 2 thought the book was a personal document. I read somewhere in the forum that I was supposed to convert from MOBI to MOBI (which seemed silly, and it failed to work) and somewhere else I read it was simplest to convert to AZW3. The AWZ3 conversion solved every issue. I now change all MOBI books to AZW3 copies before sideloading. Works for me.
JMBlackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
How are you sideloading them? I use Calibre (the Send to Device button) and my mobi files show up perfectly under Books, with the covers and all.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
JMBlackie

Lately I've been having issues with the Mobi files again showing up either without covers or bannered as "Personal." The cause and effect is undetermined, as it happens sporadically. I just read elsewhere that I should convert Mobi to Mobi and using the method that's so clearly outlined HERE.

I'll give it a try when I get home. I'm on the road, right now.

Last edited by JMBlackie; 04-21-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: hyperlink broken
Old 04-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
johnoz123
Enthusiast
johnoz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you want to sync your Kindle PW with the 'furthest page read' on your iphone (or the other way around) then you need to email the book to your Kindle account from Calibre or use the "Send to Kindle" app. Currently the file must be in mobi format. You can sync the physical book but you can't sync 'furthest page read' between PW and iPhone if you use AW3. If for any reason the book arrives without a cover all you need to do is delete it from your Amazon account. Re convert it mobi to mobi in Calibre and then send it again. No special Calibre mobi setting are required.

Last edited by johnoz123; 04-21-2014 at 05:22 PM.
johnoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
JMBlackie

Thanks. I'll try that. But after I reconvert, do I need to delete the old title from the PW2, or does it just overwrite the file?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #15
johnoz123
Enthusiast
johnoz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBlackie View Post
Thanks. I'll try that. But after I reconvert, do I need to delete the old title from the PW2, or does it just overwrite the file?
Yes. Before you send to your Amazon account, delete the book from your PW and from your Amazon account (it doesn't overwrite).
johnoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote