Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
1966Hemi
Edge User

Battery. sticking

My battery is very hard to remove. The manual says that it should remove easily when the tabs are slid inward. I have one heck of a time getting it out. I have to use a tool to get it started. This precludes me from changing batteries in an airplane. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
alefor
Edge User

YES!!! It is ridiculously difficult to remove the batteries from the eDGe!!!! I agree completely. The design is bass-ackwards since you have to push the tabs in order to release them, yet pushing precludes the battery from coming out. Just poorly thought-out design. What I recently did was to take a piece of ribbon (the kind people wrap packages with) and put it around the battery. Then, with the battery inserted, the ribbon sticks out (one end above and one end below the battery) which looks foolish, but it makes getting the battery out very easy. Maybe this is one reason the Pocket eDGe has a non-removable battery???

Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
sjarrel
Edge User

I have the same problem with the battery. The ribbon is a nice idea alefor.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
alefor
Edge User

Thank you. To give credit where credit is due, it was my wife's idea....about the 10th time I asked her to help me get the battery out!

Old 09-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
Thank you. To give credit where credit is due, it was my wife's idea....about the 10th time I asked her to help me get the battery out!
OK. You have got the ribbon. I hope she has got the present.

Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Neat idea about the ribbon. I usually hold the eDGe vertically (with the battery on the bottom eDGe) to let gravity help pop it out.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
kenjennings
Edge User

Yes, it is goofy. After being in a while the spring is not strong enough to help push the battery out. The fit is just a bit tighter than it should be.

I stand it on its edge on my lap with the battery pointed down. Supporting the eDGe with my thumbs I slide the latches with my fingers and let gravity help drop the battery out.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

The nice thing with the latest Dingo update is that it's quite rare you'd need to change the battery

Old 09-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
rcool
Edge User

I have this problem as well. Fortunately I've only had to remove the battery twice and it takes minutes and some tool like a screwdriver! A third hand would be helpful.

I shone a flashlight inside and the springs are there (maybe they're not strong enough), but it sure doesn't release and gravity is of no help - it requires force to pry it out!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
BobClarke
Edge User

This seems to have been an issue with early eDGes. My first one, purchased in early May, has this issue but recent ones pop out easily. I tried to use the shake method that Boris recommended to me once for my personal one but have gone to a slight modification of the battery (shaving the edge with my swiss army knife) as the ultimate solution for my Generation 1 eDGe (no X).

The springs are definitely stronger (actually exist). We have now worked with almost 75 eDGes since August 15th and have none that show this issue as we remove the battery as part of our set up process with learners and none have shown this issue. I could say that this is only a recent occurrence but about half of the eDGes we have used are coming with Badger installed.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
borisb
Edge User

enTourage has made a number of other hardward adjustments (that I'm aware of) since the original launch: different AC adapter (with a longer tip so it fits securely), different battery (not sure why - could be defect rate was too high initially). Makes sense that they improved the springs.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Snow
Edge User

If you are having this issue then please contact tech support at www.entourageedge.com/support Thanks!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
sarah11918
Edge User

I have a first-gen pre-ordered edge but I must have some magical combination that works. I've never had any trouble getting the battery out. I do have to use gravity, and hold it like boris does, but I just squeeze the tabs towards each other (not push in) while that side is facing down and it just slides right out.