Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
PEAL
PEAL began at the beginning.

Device: none
Users of E-Book Devices - I need your help!

Hello

I am a danish student of media science doing my master's thesis in e-books and therefore looking for users of E-Book Devices. If you own or use one - of any kind - I would be very happy if you could answer the following, simple questions.

Please use this link to the online survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...lEaWueWA_3d_3d

Thank you very much for your help!
Peter

Last edited by PEAL; 08-07-2009 at 07:25 AM.
PEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
1. In what year were you born? 1969

2. What's your line of work? Litigation support: Scan, copy, & print legal documents

3. Where do you live? Oakland, California, USA

4. What do you read on your device? (fiction, newspapers, articles ect.) Mostly fiction, and many web articles converted to ebooks.

5. When do you use it? Every day. I read on the train while travelling to work, and during lunch, and often for about an hour in the evening.

6. Which E-Book Device do you own? Sony PRS-505, and some older Sony Clié PDAs; I have 3 of those with different numbers.

7. What's your verdict (quick)? I love reading ebooks on the portable reader, but they still have a ways to go before being useful business or academic tools. None of them have good annotation support at a price that makes them worthwhile for widespread use.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
1. In what year were you born?

2. What's your line of work?
Sales (outsourcing, offshoring)

3. Where do you live?
Germany, Bavaria, Augsburg (close to Munich)

4. What do you read on your device? (fiction, newspapers, articles ect.)
fiction, self-help and development

5. When do you use it?
In the evening, at night and when traveling (plane, train)

6. Which E-Book Device do you own?
Kindle 2, Kindle DX, Sony 505, Sony 700, BeBook, iRex iLiad, iRex 1000S, Cybook Gen 3 and have ordered Cybook Opus 3 days ago.

7. What's your verdict (quick)?
I've started reading ebooks on PDAs in 2000. I very much enjoy, having 100s or even 1000s of books permanently with me. I love dictionary support, usually reading in foreign language. eInk in my opinion already is close to perfection. I hate the DRM situation, very much would prefer a single standard format, supported by all devices.
From a business perspective, obviously Amazon and Sony rule, because of selling devices PLUS content, whereas the other suppliers simply lack revenue opportunities and loose ground because of that.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-29-2009 at 08:08 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
1. In what year were you born? 1959

2. What's your line of work? Elementary School Teacher

3. Where do you live? Northern Virginia, USA

4. What do you read on your device? (fiction, newspapers, articles ect.) Fiction

5. When do you use it? Every chance I get. At least 3-4 hours per day.

6. Which E-Book Device do you own? Sony 700 and EBW1150, although the Sony is my main reader now.

7. What's your verdict (quick)? I love ereading and hate to go back to reading paperbooks. I started ereading over 2 years ago and have bought only a handle of paperbooks since that time and I spend at least $100 US on ebooks every month.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
1. In what year were you born? 1970

2. What's your line of work? Writer of roleplaying games & fiction

3. Where do you live? Virginia, USA

4. What do you read on your device? (fiction, newspapers, articles ect.) Fiction & roleplaying game books

5. When do you use it? I use both of my all the time, and my DR 1000s has replaced my weighty hardcopy books at the game table

6. Which E-Book Device do you own? Amazon Kindle 1 and iRex DR 1000s

7. What's your verdict (quick)? I love both my e-book readers, but especially the lightweight quick access capability that my DR offers me to all of my game books, characters and other self-produced documents in PDF. And my Kindle allows me to take multiple books on a trip while using minimal weight and space with a high legibility factor in a nice crisp format.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire

Bookkeeping

3. Where do you live?
Monterey, CA

Fiction

5. When do you use it?
All day whenever I have a few minutes to read.

Sony PRS 505 Red

I love it. It is perfect for reading novels and short stories. It's a great way to read a 1000 pages plus novel.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite

Restaurant Host.

3. Where do you live?
Nevada, USA

Fiction

5. When do you use it?
Whenever I am out and often before bed (though I try not to make a habit of this as often I'll continue reading instead of going to sleep).

I do own a Sony PRS-500, however it is broken now. Currently I use my PPC6800 smartphone.

The Sony was a pleasure to read on. The 6800 is okay, though I feel cramped by its 3" screen.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #8
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3

IT services

3. Where do you live?
Lyon, France

Fiction

5. When do you use it?
When commuting, during the meal break, and before sleeping.
I also use it when I have to wait for an appointment or for any other reason.

CyBook Gen 3, plus a Palm Tungsten T5.

EInk is wonderful. There is still some potential for improvement but it is already very useable.
The Cybook fits my needs. More features is often better, of course.
All those different formats and DRM are a very serious obstacle to the development of the market.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S

IT development, web applications

3. Where do you live?
Denmark

Books (primarily fiction)

5. When do you use it?
At home, bus/train, when travelling

Sony Reader 505, iPod Touch, Hanlin V3

The convenience of a reader device (weight, size, portability, I can carry a whole library, bigger font sizes than books), quite overshadows the downsides (contrast could still be better, DRM and no consensus about file formats is a big hassle, no books in Danish (yet)**)

** I'm lucky that I've always preferred English and American authors

Last edited by Ea; 08-12-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #10
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)

Engineer

3. Where do you live?
Athens, Greece

Mostly fiction and news feeds.

5. When do you use it?
Amost every day, mostly at home.

Sony PRS-505, Blackberry Bold

I'm a newcomer (1 month). My first impressions is that it's still is an expensive gadget, far from being perfect, but better than I thought when I decided to buy an ereading device.
Pros are obvious (lightweight, huge choice with you all the time, instant buying, eink display is quite good...).
Cons: Technology is still immature (too many freezes on several devices), reading experience not bad but still not as good as on paperbooks, very difficult to have access to content adapted to ereaders (not pdf files) for europeans, even in english language.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:37 AM   #11
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
1. In what year were you born? - why do you want to know. 70's

2. What's your line of work? - science

3. Where do you live? - UK city

4. What do you read on your device? (fiction, newspapers, articles ect.) - fiction

5. When do you use it? - daily

6. Which E-Book Device do you own? - Sony 505

7. What's your verdict (quick)? - excellent. can be improved, but very good.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6

Software developer, primarily web applications in MS .NET

3. Where do you live?
the Netherlands

Fiction and recently comic books

5. When do you use it?
Whenever I can, never leave home without your e-reader

Fujitsu Siemends Pocket Loox 720 (PDA) and the JoinTech JE100 (7" LCD ebook device)

I always had a book with me, wherever I went. Now, since I started reading ebooks at around 2001, my book takes less space and contains my entire library. Couldn't live without it anymore, I think...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #13
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)

Software developer, web application mostly

3. Where do you live?
Italy

A wide array of things... Technical documentation (programming languages), classical books, fiction (mainly sci-fi and Star Wars fiction), fantasy, roleplaying games handbooks, cooking recipes, news feeds...

5. When do you use it?
Whenever I have a moment free, I turn on my device and read.

Hanlin V3

It has its defects, and it's not as pure white as paper. And pictures are awful on e-ink screen. And sometimes .lit ebooks freeze. But still, I'm VERY happy: I can carry all my books with me, and I can read something everytime I have 5 minutes free.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
1. In what year were you born? 1969

2. What's your line of work? Senior Hydrogeologist/Environmental Geologist

3. Where do you live? Calgary, AB, Canada (originaly from Czech Republic)

4. What do you read on your device? (fiction, newspapers, articles ect.) Fiction, Czech books, articles

5. When do you use it? When I have time ...

6. Which E-Book Device do you own? Sony PRS-700, HP iPaq 210, BlackBerry Pearl

7. What's your verdict (quick)? Great, but with some problems - i.e. languages with "special" accents.

Last edited by lukasfikr; 07-30-2009 at 12:51 PM.
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage

Programming Computers

3. Where do you live?
England

Fiction

5. When do you use it?
Every day. While waiting for things. In a spare half hour. Before bed.

CyBook Gen3

Very good. Will get a lot better over the next five years.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote