Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #46
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Non-Fiction: Rock and Gem magazine, Nov 2008 edition.

Feature article on rock tumbling. Something went horribly wrong with the most recent batch. I think maybe I only put in 1 or 2 TBL of cerium oxide instead of 3, and it wasn't enough to make a nice glassy surface.

Next weekend when the new batch finishes this first rough tumble, I think the botched batch will go back in for another week with the cerium oxide. Also maybe some plastic pellets for rubbing up against? I've got them but have never used them.
Dixigal, are all the rocks of the same hardness? Also, it makes a difference whether or not the rocks are porous.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #47
bookwormfjl
Book Junkie
bookwormfjl has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505; Cybook Gen 3; Kindle 1; Kindle 2; Kindle DX; Nook
I am currently reading "From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations from 1776 to Present"
bookwormfjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #48
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I'm reading The Looming Tower which is more or less about the history of Al Qaeda and related movements. I tried reading it in dead tree format a few months ago. While it is an engrossing book, it was just too hard to stay focused on it because the large print edition weighs about a million pounds and my arms got tired holding it up!
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #49
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz

Details:

The bestselling author of Blue Latitudes takes us on a thrilling and eye-opening voyage to pre-Mayflower America.

On a chance visit to Plymouth Rock, Tony Horwitz realizes he's mislaid more than a century of American history, from Columbus's sail in 1492 to Jamestown's founding in 16-oh-something. Did nothing happen in between? Determined to find out, he embarks on a journey of rediscovery, following in the footsteps of the many Europeans who preceded the Pilgrims to America.

An irresistible blend of history, myth, and misadventure, A Voyage Long and Strange captures the wonder and drama of first contact. Vikings, conquistadors, French voyageurs — these and many others roamed an unknown continent in quest of grapes, gold, converts, even a cure for syphilis. Though most failed, their remarkable exploits left an enduring mark on the land and people encountered by late-arriving English settlers.

Tracing this legacy with his own epic trek — from Florida's Fountain of Youth to Plymouth's sacred Rock, from desert pueblos to subarctic sweat lodges, Tony Horwitz explores the revealing gap between what we enshrine and what we forget. Displaying his trademark talent for humor, narrative, and historical insight, A Voyage Long and Strange allows us to rediscover the New World for ourselves.
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #50
pestrat
pestrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
John Adams by David McCullough. After viewing the HBO series, I purchased the Kindle edition.
pestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #51
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz
Thanks for the mini-review. I just went and got the Kindle sample, to see if I like it enough to buy it. It sounds very interesting!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote