Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgmunich View Post
Hello All,

As suggested by Anthem that I may want to consider Kindle. Well I dug once more into the whole review thing. Yes I do agree that kindle seems good value for money.
Just that amazons big brother attitude is what I don't like.
So I actually also parsed through the jail breaking section for kindle.
What I have understood is once I jail break I can break away from amazon 100% and install updates via USB.
But if I don't then amazon servers will have full control over the device, including any browsing, location and any side books I load on to the device, and not just the ones I purchase via amazon. I understand is they want to have their cloud storage as primary and hence have a mirror of my data on their servers.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Thanks & Regards,
-Dhiraj
If by "full control" you mean "full knowledge of everything you do or use", then yes. Any device for which the source code has not been released and vetted can theoretically be doing absolutely anything. On that note, do not ever buy a smartphone or tablet (unless it runs a community-developed OS) as even Android is not open source after google and device manufacturers and carriers apply their modifications.

Do I have any worries that they are doing so? No. As ever, everything must have a motivation, or no one would go to the bother of fill-in-blank-here.

Amazon is probably tracking every aspect of my reading their books (hard to see how Kindle Unlimited works otherwise) but I highly doubt they are also tracking sideloaded books. In any event, there is a hack here for that. Look for the BBB Firewall (Block Big Brother).

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-03-2014 at 05:21 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just my 2 cents: Paperwhite 2 definitely is a great unit. But in my opinion, it mainly makes sense if you're into the Amazon ecosystem (personally, I love buying from them via 3G wherever I am, not bothering about WiFi or roaming costs).
But if it's about the sole reader, you might be better off to buy one of the ePUB/sideloading optimized ones. You still can buy from Amazon, strip from DRM, convert to ePUB and use on those readers. Kobo for example could be a nice choice then.
It also has a cleaner interface, more stable firmware, and good dictionary support.

I always viewed it as more a
simple, clean, stable UI = Kindle
vs.
customizing fonts/margins/stuff and carry-tens-of-GBs-of-books-around () = Kobo

If you don't use the extra options Kobo gives you, then it isn't an advantage. And I like the homepage=library view style of the Kindle.

(Random)
And for advanced users, X-Ray is reverse-engineered and pluginized where Beyond the Book is not.
Advert
Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #33
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
No. To my knowledge it only applies for the "I've tested it and don't want it" scenario.
If you return it because of a defect, the merchant still has to cover the costs.

And: Some tricky merchants insist on wanting to send a replacement unit. The customer doesn't have to accept this, he can insist on a full refund.
There are a few people who had to pay return shipping for defective Onyx Boox T68s. Luckily I returned mine to Amazon so I didn't have to. I just couldn't believe that defective devices couldn't be returned or replaced for free.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #34
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm
Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Hi dgk,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgmunich View Post
2. Not tied to an ecosystem. That is why kindle went off the list.
If that's the only reason to discard a Kindle, I can show you how to cut off its WiFi feature in the hardware - it's a small, small, small world, I happen to live in Munich too

However, should you ask me, there are two more reasons not to recommend a Kindle:

1 - there seems to be only one level of 'folder' (actually 'collection') you can arrange your books in. If you're dreaming of a real tree-like structure, then the Kindle is not what you're looking for.

2 - you cannot read the epub format on a Kindle without converting it to MOBI first - Mr. Bezos' policy is a double-edged sword.

For all the rest I find my Kindle 4 satisfactory enough, though not enough to buy a new one when my current one kicks the bucket
Chiron scriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #35
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron scriba View Post
However, should you ask me, there are two more reasons not to recommend a Kindle:

1 - there seems to be only one level of 'folder' (actually 'collection') you can arrange your books in. If you're dreaming of a real tree-like structure, then the Kindle is not what you're looking for.

2 - you cannot read the epub format on a Kindle without converting it to MOBI first - Mr. Bezos' policy is a double-edged sword.
You can do both of those things....file tree with sub folders and read epubs....if you jailbreak your device and run KOreader on it. The PW makes an excellent epub reader
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
(Random)
And for advanced users, X-Ray is reverse-engineered and pluginized where Beyond the Book is not.
There's a thread in the Kobo forum were we dissected Beyond the Book. It wouldn't be to hard to load the data into the database. Personally, I don't think it is worth the work it would take.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #37
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm
Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
REALLY???

Hi Booklover, you're raising new hopes in an old heart...
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You can do both of those things....file tree with sub folders and read epubs....if you jailbreak your device and run KOreader on it. The PW makes an excellent epub reader
Would you mind writing a short "for dummies" on the topic? I know my eternal gratitude isn't worth much on the market but maybe some excellent Bavarian beer could persuade you better...
Chiron scriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Also worth noting is
a) converting to MOBI requires nothing but disk space and a night of sleep while the computer churns. I don't get what the problem is...
b) The Collections Manager Kindlet can nest collections on pre-5.4.2 firmware. Works very nicely on my Kindle Touch.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There's a thread in the Kobo forum were we dissected Beyond the Book. It wouldn't be to hard to load the data into the database. Personally, I don't think it is worth the work it would take.
Yes I saw that thread that's where I saw it was apparently too much work to properly support.

It is much easier to trick the Kindle into supporting Store features.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #40
dkgmunich
dkgmunich began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:

Would you mind writing a short "for dummies" on the topic? I know my eternal gratitude isn't worth much on the market but maybe some excellent Bavarian beer could persuade you better...
Hey Chiron,
I tried to read about jail breaking. "for dummies" seems a difficult task.
But the procedure is nicely documented.
If you havent found it yet then
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K5_Index
and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...19#post2169819

Also thanks for the offer for the loboctomy
But I would like to find the medicinal solutions than going under the blade.

Also if you read the thread, it has been mentioned that unless amazon is your primary source of books its worth to consider other options.
For me it shall be various and as you yourself noticed I don't want big brother to keep the tap on all my dirty secrets
So i may not end up with kindle or if i do first thing would be to jail break it.
Also I have realised that kindle has the best community support hence I am giving it a thought otherwise I would not.

Regards,
dkg
dkgmunich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:

Since you say you have the K4NT, you will want to look at the prequel to KOReader (which is the Touch/PW upgrade): Librerator. Follow the instructions, which should link to the KUAL thread as a prerequisite.

Collections Manager Kindlet is only for Touch/PW devices.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes I saw that thread that's where I saw it was apparently too much work to properly support.
Yep, to much work to be worth it
Quote:
It is much easier to trick the Kindle into supporting Store features.
Do you mean you can get the firmware to download the Xray stuff from Amazon? Or does it have to be manually loaded to the correct place?
Old 09-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #43
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Do you mean you can get the firmware to download the Xray stuff from Amazon? Or does it have to be manually loaded to the correct place?
Nope, custom generated using the tools originally created by (inactive) user shinew in this thread: Hacks X-Ray file generator for Kindle Touch. It downloads Shelfari/Wikipedia information, parses the book to match data to locations, and builds an X-Ray file.

Ephemerality has given new life to the command-line and GUI standalone tools, and a brand-new thread here: X-Ray Builder - Windows Application.

mjwilson maintains the calibre plugin, with the latest version here in shinew's old thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85#post2856985

Presumably calibre 2.x will give yet another revived project a new thread.

The plugin should put it in the right place, but the standalone application requires manually placing the resultant *.asc in the appropriate location. Scripting could help with that, as ever.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-05-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nope, custom generated using the tools originally created by (inactive) user shinew in this thread: Hacks X-Ray file generator for Kindle Touch. It downloads Shelfari/Wikipedia information, parses the book to match data to locations, and builds an X-Ray file.

Ephemerality has given new life to the command-line and GUI standalone tools, and a brand-new thread here: X-Ray Builder - Windows Application.

mjwilson maintains the calibre plugin, with the latest version here in shinew's old thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85#post2856985

Presumably calibre 2.x will give yet another revived project a new thread.

The plugin should put it in the right place, but the standalone application requires manually placing the resultant *.asc in the appropriate location. Scripting could help with that, as ever.
I thought it was something like that, but wasn't sure. I remember seeing a site that would generate the data, but, I hadn't seen the plugin before. Hmm, half the work has already been done.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #45
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
I thought it was something like that, but wasn't sure. I remember seeing a site that would generate the data, but, I hadn't seen the plugin before. Hmm, half the work has already been done.
Half the work of what?