Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
swriter
swriter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cases for Kindle Paperwhite

I received a Kindle Paperwhite as a birthday present last week. So far, I have only used it here at home. In May, I will be going on a cross Cananda tour trip. I want to know what is the best case for the Paperwhite when it comes to traveling. I have looked at reviews on Amazon and they are mixed. I decided to post here and ask. I have heard reviews of some cases leaving stains or causing issues with how the Kindles work.
swriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would suggest getting the official Amazon case. It's not the cheapest, but it works very well, and provides good protection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Here is a long thread with lots of reviews and pictures of non-Amazon cases. Mine came from in here and I like it a lot. Have fun!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I second the recommendation of Amazon's official case for the Paperwhite. In addition to the custom fit it offers excellent protection and quality, comes in various colors and makes use of the sleep/wake feature of the Paperwhite.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I got a case from one of the non-amazon sellers mentioned in the referred thread -I forget which one- and the magnet to hold it closed is so weak that the PW doesn't always turn off when I close the case. I have to remember to put it face down when I stop reading, or the battery runs down because the PW doesn't turn off.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd recommend one of Oberon design's Mini eReader Sleeves. They also sell Kindle covers, which I've owned and loved, but I've really fallen in love with their sleeves. A nice snug fit that offers excellent protection and incomparable beauty. My Paperwhite's housed in a Tree of Life in saddle. No magnet, but that's no biggie in my book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	treeoflife_sleeve.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	103575  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-27-2013 at 08:31 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
I also recommend the official Amazon case. I really, really love it.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use the official case but for traveling I would add a cheap sleeve to put the PW and Case in for a little extra protection. It will also keep dirt and dust out if you put it in your purse or satchel.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #9
Janet16
Enthusiast
Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The official case is nice for me.
Janet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Another vote for the Official case.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
shy8629
shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shy8629 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite
I vote for the official cover and also whole-heartedly agreed with Blossom's idea.
shy8629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
There is no best case. If there were the choice would be simple. People get cases for protection and beauty and convenience and how you prioritize those can determine which case is best for you. When I'm out I have my Kindle in it's case in an outside pocket on my daypack. I realize this is risky but the convenience of getting to the Kindle easily is worth the risk...for me. My sister will only get covers that have a strap around her hand when she's reading.

I do sometimes wonder about someone who will buy a $99 case for a $119 Paperwhite.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I do sometimes wonder about someone who will buy a $99 case for a $119 Paperwhite.
The content can be a lot more valuable than the device. If I'm working away from home (as I often do), and that $99 case prevented me from losing access to my books, it would be $99 well spent. (Not that I did spend $99 on a case, but I've nothing against it in principle.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
I do have the original Amazon case, and also the cheaper ones listed in the alternative thread, and find them too bulky for everyday reading at home.

I prefer the TPU silicone back covers for my Kindles, purchasing the clear only so my decalgirl skins show thru, or placing a photo or VB fabric inside it to match bag. As with Blossom, I use a padded slipcover if taking it with me from home.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
I recently purchased the official $40 case from amazon. It looks nice, feels nice, puts my kindle to sleep and wakes it up again, just as promised. The only drawback is that the magnet is too weak to keep the cover closed.

I contacted Amazon Customer Service and will receive a replacement, so there is a possibility that it's only my case that has this flaw. But I second Blossoms suggestion - get a case outside the oficial case. My feeling is that the official case is not something you could put in a bag or rucksack or something and rely on it keeping your kindle safe and sound
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, kindle paperwhite