Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #496
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I just finished the award-winning Startide Rising by David Brin, one of the earliest in his Uplift series. It has a large cast of characters who are easy to tell apart, and a simple story with many complex twists. It's a long novel that keeps you engrossed all the way through.
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #497
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
1493 by Charles C. Mann. I love the bit about Potatoes and I listened to an interesting bit about rubber on the way to work. I really like to get my non-fiction in audio form.

However, last week, I listened to Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book, both by Gaiman. He does read so very well and I was glad to revisit these stories.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #498
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Started Brave New World today.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #499
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldin View Post
I just finished the award-winning Startide Rising by David Brin, one of the earliest in his Uplift series. It has a large cast of characters who are easy to tell apart, and a simple story with many complex twists. It's a long novel that keeps you engrossed all the way through.
Hmmm, who's the reader on that? I haven't read much Brin, but he's been on my list for a while to try. If it's a good reader, I might just go for it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #500
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reader was John Polk, but I don't think that'll help you. I get my audiobooks through the Braille and Audiobook Library because my eyesight isn't so good, so the recordings I get aren't always commercially released. But I think it would take a really terrible reader to ruin this book. I do recommend it.
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #501
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldin View Post
The reader was John Polk, but I don't think that'll help you. I get my audiobooks through the Braille and Audiobook Library because my eyesight isn't so good, so the recordings I get aren't always commercially released. But I think it would take a really terrible reader to ruin this book. I do recommend it.
Turns out that this is available as an Audible book, with George Wilson as the narrator, as is the rest of the series. I remember reading at least the first couple of them many years ago. Might well be time to listen to them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #502
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
God's Revolution - Don Taylor

A 12-part BBC Radio 4 history drama set in the years 1647-49 during the English Civil War (1642-51).

Quote:
Docu-drama about the events before and after the death of Charles I, particularly the Levellers' insurrection.

There was a remarkable moment in English history when for a few brief years all things seemed possible. The power of the king was set aside and for a moment the ordinary people of England seemed to hold their future in their own hands. With Charles 1st dispossessed it was uncertain whether control would move to Parliament or the people themselves as Cromwell's New Model Army showed signs of relishing its new freedoms.
Episodes are 60 minutes in length and the series is currently on Episode 4, with a new episode aired each weekday. It's not too late to start the series. The first four episodes are still available for another 4 to 7 days.

It's a good series and this is my second time listening to it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #503
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Finished Passage by Connie Willis. I am afraid I am just in love with her stuff, so I thoroughly enjoyed this strange story about a scientist who researches near death experiences. It is read by Dina Pearlman (who was new to me), and I really enjoyed her performance.

I decided to give up on Ashes Ashes by Jo Treggiari. Not even Cassandra Campbell seems to be able to pull me through it - I couldn't care less for the characters and halfway through the book, nothing really interesting has happened. Can't recommend this one.

I have started 11/22/63 by Stephen King today. I decided that I could live with the reader after all, but I am not far enough into it to say anything about the book itself. But I love time travel, so I hope this one will be right up my alley.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #504
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
I decided to give up on Ashes Ashes by Jo Treggiari. Not even Cassandra Campbell seems to be able to pull me through it - I couldn't care less for the characters and halfway through the book, nothing really interesting has happened. Can't recommend this one.
Gotta agree with you on this one. Overall, I'd just say the book is boring, but then factor in not really liking the protagonist (I actually found her quite annoying) and the silly mistakes throughout (if you want to know if someone has a fever, you don't take the thermometer out and start shaking it before you look at it -- you do that before putting it in their mouth). Have no idea how it ended -- don't really care.

Hope you enjoy King's latest as much as I did, though! (And I'm also a huge Connie Willis fan).
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #505
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Gotta agree with you on this one. Overall, I'd just say the book is boring, but then factor in not really liking the protagonist (I actually found her quite annoying) and the silly mistakes throughout (if you want to know if someone has a fever, you don't take the thermometer out and start shaking it before you look at it -- you do that before putting it in their mouth). Have no idea how it ended -- don't really care.

Hope you enjoy King's latest as much as I did, though! (And I'm also a huge Connie Willis fan).
Connie Willis is just great. I also love her short fiction, she really is one of those authors where length doesn't matter.

I usually enjoy Young Adult fiction, though I think the only dystopian books I really love are the Hunger Games. I tried Divergent by Veronica Roth which got a lot of hype too and it didn't do much for me. I only finished it because I had payed for it. Well, it was okay, but nothing more and I won't listen to the rest of the series.

I went to Goodreads and read a couple of reviews of Ashes Ashes and found that quite a few people think it isn't that great. It's just boring and not worth spoiling my Easter weekend listening to it.

As for the latest King: I used to be a big fan of his in the 80s, he really was the one who introduced me to speculative fiction. Misery is my all time favorite horror novel, but I haven't read any of his newer stuff. I am a sucker for time travel, though, so I thought I just had to give this one a try.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #506
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm listening to Watership Down by Richard Adams. I'm really enjoying the story so far. The narration, music and sound effects are excellent, it's very well done.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #507
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
GREAT BOOK...years since I read it. If you like the pill try....SOMA FM:

http://somafm.com/listen/

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Started Brave New World today.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #508
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author

I just finished Terry Pratchett's most recent Discworld novel, Snuff. Pratchett's lost none of his wit, but the focus is obscured. The story rambles all over the place and takes way too long to get to its point. He repeats his theme a lot. Given the state of his health it's not surprising, and the book's actually better than I'd hoped. Definitely worth reading, though don't expect top-drawer Pratchett. And, if you've gone all the way through it, the last line's a killer!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #509
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm three hours into The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and it's still pretty grim to me.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #510
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Re-listening to American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm enjoying it a lot more than the first time around.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations