Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #61
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
Yeah, and remove DRM illegally.
So you'll have to agree that you are forced to buy most, if not all, your (mainstream) ebooks from Amazon?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #62
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
No it doesn't. It only has to have apps that do just those things.
And what? These apps just magically connect to their respective IP addresses of bn.com and facebook?
It still needs some form of a browser to link to these sites.

Last edited by boswd; 06-15-2011 at 08:19 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #63
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
Yeah, and remove DRM illegally.
It is not illegal to remove DRM in every country across the globe. There are places where it is illegal.

There are places where it is illegal to create the programs to strip DRM but not illegal to use the programs to strip DRM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #64
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
And what? These apps just magically connect to their respective IP addresses of bn.com and facebook?
You don't need a browser for that. You just need a socket to send/receive data to the server.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #65
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Yup, magic. Magic I'm paid to perform when I write similar apps fairly regularly.
Perhaps you should take your own advice regarding posting about features you're not really familiar with?

By the way, I'm not claiming that the nook doesn't use a browser as a basis for it's way of doing those things. I wouldn't be surprised. But your statement was wrong.

Last edited by ApK; 06-15-2011 at 12:14 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #66
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yup, magic. Magic I'm paid to perform when I write similar apps fairly regularly.
Perhaps you should take your own advice regarding posting about features you're not really familiar with?

By the way, I'm not claiming that the nook doesn't use a browser as a basis for it's way of doing those things. I wouldn't be surprised. But your statement was wrong.
If I wrong then I stand corrected but even if it's just using a socket as afv101has mentioned to connect data between web based sites, wouldn't that still be a browser functionality even if in very limited capacity?

this what I found on wiki about an internet socket
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_socket

Last edited by boswd; 06-15-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #67
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I wrong then I stand corrected but even if it's just using a socket as afv101has mentioned to connect data between web based sites, wouldn't that still be a browser functionality even if in very limited capacity?
Calling any special purpose app that happens to use http communication a 'browser' would be exactly like calling the text box you type your name into to log into MR a 'word processor.'

Even the text editor used for typing message wouldn't typically rate being called a 'word processor', nor would a custom storefront app qualify as 'browser' by any understanding of the term I can figure

p.s. Remember 'browser' is shorthand for 'web browser.' B&N could feel free to call their book buying app 'The B&N Book Browser.'
Of course in that sense, if someone asks if my Sony 350 has a browser, I could yes, it has me...I'm browsing through what's on it....

Last edited by ApK; 06-15-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #68
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Calling any special purpose app that happens to use http communication a 'browser' would be exactly like calling the text box you type your name into to log into MR a 'word processor.'

Even the text editor used for typing message wouldn't typically rate being called a 'word processor', nor would a custom storefront app qualify as 'browser' by any understanding of the term I can figure

p.s. Remember 'browser' is shorthand for 'web browser.' B&N could feel free to call their book buying app 'The B&N Book Browser.'
Of course in that sense, if someone asks if my Sony 350 has a browser, I could yes, it has me...I'm browsing through what's on it....
Ok this is where I'm getting confused, because to access BN's bookstore or to facebook and twitter it's connecting over Wifi which if you are at home connects to your internet connection. If wifi is off there is no "browsing" BN store nor any connection to Facebook or Twitter.

So it's connecting to the internet, just in a limited capacity.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #69
ApK

Quote:
Ok this is where I'm getting confused, because to access BN's bookstore or to facebook and twitter it's connecting over Wifi which if you are at home connects to your internet connection. If wifi is off there is no "browsing" BN store nor any connection to Facebook or Twitter.

So it's connecting to the internet, just in a limited capacity.
'Connecting to the Internet' does not equal 'Browser'. Think email, usenet, FTP, Skype, etc.
(Or, dating myself, Archie, Gopher....)

A browser, conversely (or is it inversely) does not need to connect to the Internet at all. Web Browsers are often used only on local nets or even to read HTML help files and docs on a local machine. Their defining feature is rendering and navigating arbitrary HTML documents.

Last edited by ApK; 06-15-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #70
boswd
Banned

Quote:
'Connecting to the Internet' does not equal 'Browser'. Think email, usenet, FTP, Skype, etc.
(Or, dating myself, Archie, Gopher....)

Gotcha, thanks, maybe we or just I is just mergering the two and thinking of it as one and the same. "Connecting to the internet web browser it's all the same."

Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #71
ApK

"Normal people" who grew up with the web or were only ever exposed to the Internet via a web browser, often make no distinction between 'the Internet' and 'the World Wide Web.'
Developers still have to.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #72
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:

You in IT field, right? ... I could not have said better ....
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #73
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
So you'll have to agree that you are forced to buy most, if not all, your (mainstream) ebooks from Amazon?
Does someone buy books?
Oh.. actually I have spent $2, but gotten books from amazon, smashwords, fictionwise, manybooks, guete, baen and a couple of others. But you are probably right about mainstream.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #74
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
I got an Opus and a 650 sitting next to eachother. The 650 screen is whiter where I'm sitting.
I believe you. I pulled Opus out of my pocket in a shop, put it next to Sony and in my experience there Sony's screen was darker. I'm no expert and as I said I fiddled with screen options but didn't manage. Surely the font on Opus looked lighter than on Sony in those lightning conditions. Still there were too many "cons" for me that outweighted the "pros" that I didn't buy it even thought I REALLY wanted it.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #75
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
A poll here shows it is indeed an important factor for some.
The survey says...74% of users want a touch-screen. Out of the remaining 26%, quite a few will be Kindle owners in denial writing off the lack of a touch screen as a feature

Clearly touch is a major issue and will be one of, if not The key determining factor when choosing between the Kindle and the Nook.

Let's face it, based on look and feel, who's going to buy the K3 with that clunky keyboard over the swish new Nook Touch? I'm not in the market but I can see the appeal of the Nook (and the new Kobo for that matter). The K3 is a great device, but next to the new touch readers, it looks dated.

Last edited by Rizla; 06-15-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote