Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
AIR-WIZZ
Rookie Know-It-All
AIR-WIZZ began at the beginning.

Device: I use them all!
Oops, I found a quote problem that I fixed and tryed some recommendations from this post post still, no italic...

Any ideas?

@font-face {
font-family: "Book Antiqua";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url("../Fonts/BKANT.TTF");
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Book Antiqua_bold";
font-weight: bold;
src: url("../Fonts/ANTQUAB.TTF");
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Book Antiqua_italic";
font-style: italic;
src: url("../Fonts/ANTQUAI.TTF");
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Courier New";
src: url("../Fonts/cour.ttf");
}
body {
font-family: "Book Antiqua", serif;
margin: 1em 1em 1em 1em;
background: #FFFF99;
}
.italics {
}
AIR-WIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-WIZZ View Post
Oops, I found a quote problem that I fixed and tryed some recommendations from this post post still, no italic...

Any ideas?

@font-face {
}
@font-face {
}
@font-face {
}
@font-face {
}
body {
margin: 1em;
}
.italics {
}
You have two choices:

1. To use:

Code:
@font-face {
}

@font-face {
    font-family: "Book Antiqua"; /* As you can see, I use the same family name as above */
}

@font-face {
    font-family: "Book Antiqua"; /* the same as above */
}

@font-face {
}

body {
    font-weight: normal; /* new properties */
}

.italics {
}
2. Or to use:

Code:
@font-face {
}

@font-face {
}

@font-face {
}

@font-face {
}

body {
    margin: 1em;
}

.italics {
    font-style: italic; /* you must supress this definition when use a different font-family names for different font-styles */
}
Both method should work.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I've already made 4 successful ePubs for clients.
src: url('../Fonts/BKANT.TTF');
src: url('../Fonts/ANTQUAB.TTF');
src: url('../Fonts/ANTQUAI.TTF');
src: url('../Fonts/cour.ttf');
I do hope you are actually licensing these fonts, and not just copying them from Windows>?

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...butionFAQ.mspx
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
My first time working with embedding fonts but I've already made 4 successful ePubs for clients.
@font-face {
src: url('../Fonts/BKANT.TTF');
}
@font-face {
src: url('../Fonts/ANTQUAB.TTF');
}
@font-face {
src: url('../Fonts/ANTQUAI.TTF');
}
@font-face {
src: url('../Fonts/cour.ttf');
}
body {
}
.italics {
}
My problem is italics, bold, etc don't respond. I use classes in spans to implement italics, bold, etc. but <i></i> doesn't allow italics either.
E.G: ...<span class="italics">The Seth Material</span>...
All the text is standard.
Any ideas?
You forgot to assign the font-family to the class italics
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
From the ascender web site:

Commercial Product License
This extended license allows fonts to be embedded into documents that are sold, such as electronic books (EPUB files or PDF files that are sold commercially). Please contact Monotype Imaging for more information on a Commercial Product license.

It points to a contact form with no price information.

http://www.fonts.com/web-fonts/plans-and-pricing
cover their pricing for web fonts.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
From the ascender web site:

Commercial Product License
This extended license allows fonts to be embedded into documents that are sold, such as electronic books (EPUB files or PDF files that are sold commercially). Please contact Monotype Imaging for more information on a Commercial Product license.

It points to a contact form with no price information.

http://www.fonts.com/web-fonts/plans-and-pricing
cover their pricing for web fonts.
Suffice it to say (from someone who uses Book Antigua) that it's not cheap. I highly recommend that the original poster consider (assuming arguendo that he's not already licensed the font--each time, mind you, for each face for each book) using suitable OS alternatives. You may wish to try FontSquirrel, Googlefont, etc., for suitable options.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #22
AIR-WIZZ
Rookie Know-It-All

Regarding the font license, the author already has rights to his print copy on.pdf. I'm not in the business of buying fonts so if there is a licensing issue I'll refer that to him.
I'm just trying to get the dern thing working.
I tried all the options suggested to no avail.
Still no italics. I noticed there were no italics in another ebook with embedded fonts.
Let me see if this is a Sigil issue.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
AIR-WIZZ
Rookie Know-It-All

Ok, on a hunch I remembered that the fonts had the same problem on a known-good book. I opened the file on ADE and they are working.
I'd still like to hear more about font licensing; however, since this is off topic I'll research it myself.
Thanks for the quick replies guys.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You forgot to assign the font-family to the class italics
Not needed, since it was already in the <body> style... unless there's something between <body> and <* class="italics"> that alters the font-family. By the way, instead of <span class="italics"> you could use <i>, which is shorter (although the class offers the advantage of being applicable to any element).

Regarding the problem with fonts not being used, in my experience good font support is hard to find in any reader or browser, and I believe there are some issues with fonts display in Sigil anyway.

Another piece of advice: do not specify a background colour, or, if you really want to, specify a foreground colour too, otherwise the text might be invisible in some configurations.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not needed, since it was already in the <body> style... unless there's something between <body> and <* class="italics"> that alters the font-family. By the way, instead of <span class="italics"> you could use <i>, which is shorter (although the class offers the advantage of being applicable to any element).

Regarding the problem with fonts not being used, in my experience good font support is hard to find in any reader or browser, and I believe there are some issues with fonts display in Sigil anyway.

Another piece of advice: do not specify a background colour, or, if you really want to, specify a foreground colour too, otherwise the text might be invisible in some configurations.
As usual,
Jelby is correct.. The body (font-family) usage does cover it.

And, yes, Sigil does sometimes have problems with fonts which is why we say: 'Always try on targeted devices (and software)'.

Sometime Sigil works fine and the device does not.
'Always try on targeted devices (and software)'.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #26
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
As usual,
Jelby is correct.. The body (font-family) usage does cover it.

And, yes, Sigil does sometimes have problems with fonts which is why we say: 'Always try on targeted devices (and software)'.

Sometime Sigil works fine and the device does not.
'Always try on targeted devices (and software)'.
And as a loyal Sigil minion, I'll add that it's not usually a fault with Sigil per se, but with the Qt webkit engine that Sigil uses to display content in "book view" (and maybe also "Preview" view?).

Which is why the lesson remains: Check it out in ADE and other appropriate readers before you panic. And before you are satisfied.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
AIR-WIZZ
Rookie Know-It-All

Jellby, you are correct about the background color. I only used it in this case to see what the pictures will look like when the end-user selects sepia, etc. I had converted some pix to transparent .gifs and wanted to see it stand off the background. I remove it before publishing. Good advice!

The other point made is in fact a Sigil thing. While working in Sigil, the italicized embedded font wouldn't show but does when loaded on target devices.
Actually, author was turned off by embedded fonts entirely and has opted to go with standard default fonts. I will use free fonts in the future though. I understand now that embedding fonts requires an annual licensing fee in many cases. However, many free fonts are available and so close to the paid fonts that it isn't distinguishable.
Thanks to all who contributed to this post.

Last edited by AIR-WIZZ; 07-19-2013 at 02:43 PM.