Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Virtual Libraries

I really like the new feature. It makes managing books a lot easier. Now I can keep book that need more work and finished books separate.
What would make it perfect is the possibility that Calibre would remember the last setting of even better, a default choice. So that when my wife open Calibre she only sees finished books, and when I start working on books I can choose the virtual library 'To Do'
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Behavior->Virtual library to apply when current library is opened
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thank you Kovidgoyal...that was a place I didn't look
It makes a perfect program perfecter (Is that even a word?)
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
I really like the new feature. It makes managing books a lot easier. Now I can keep book that need more work and finished books separate. What would make it perfect is the possibility that Calibre would remember the last setting of even better, a default choice.
This is exactly how I have used this feature for the last two years. I always open to my Finished Library.

I'm glad Kovid has announced this tweak/rebranding of the library Restrict to feature as a Major new feature. I hope everyone will start taking advantage of all that this feature has to offer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Could the the button be given a keyboard shortcut.

It would also be 'nice' if it could be accessed by the context menu.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
PO40600
Enthusiast
PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note II & Note Pro 12.2, PocketBook Touch Lux, PB Touch,Odysse
A great thank you Kovid, for this nice feature.

I don't know if other users would like a small complement : the possibility to return to the full Library, with a button, instead of going in the sub menu of the Virtual Library Button.

It would be great if possible to open simultaneously multiple windows of different virtual library, but I think it could be problematic, if a book is modified in one LIbrary, and is present in an other windows of a different VIrtual Library
PO40600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
machunter46
machunter46 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Pardon the stupid question bt can I create a virtual library that only contains books that DO NOT have a specific tag???
machunter46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machunter46 View Post
Pardon the stupid question bt can I create a virtual library that only contains books that DO NOT have a specific tag???
Stick not in front of the search expression, like this

not tags:"=Whatever"
Old 04-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
machunter46
machunter46 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Sticking "not" in front worked perfectly. Many thanks for the reply and for a great program.
machunter46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Preferences->Behavior->Virtual library... works fine when Calibre is started, but it doesn't seem to work when switching between libraries.

Not sure whether if this is what is intended or not. Would be nice if it also applied when a library is switched to whilst Calibre is running.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...revision/14887
Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lightbulb Virtual Library GUI

Could the Virtual Library Icon? be turned into a Latching button?
In settings active. Out all settings suspended (ignored)

Additionally/alternately could a Right click be used to deactivate (set to None) Just the 'Additional restriction?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The font for that button goes bold when a VL is active and not bold when it is not.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The font for that button goes bold when a VL is active and not bold when it is not.
Subtle
I had not noticed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
I confess that I only use this feature once in a while. But there is an aspect that seems odd when I do.

When I have a Virtual Library selected, if I add a new book that doesn't meet the VL's criteria, it shows up in the library list until I do a search. Same thing with changing an existing book so it no longer meets the VL criteria--it still appears until I do a search.

I assume this is an artifact of the way it's implemented with the search mechanism. But I can see it confusing a user who doesn't realize that.

I'm also puzzled by <None> appearing on my 'Additional Restrictions' list twice. Presumably once for itself and once from remembered searches?
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote