Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
sith33
sith33 doesn't littersith33 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Success, Kindle books to PRS-500

I've seen a few folks allude to it, but I figured I'd mention some success.

I know specifics of DRM-circumvention are verboten, and it's not a particularly userfriendly process, but it's definitely doable. Involves an iphone/ipod touch, kindle app for said device, iphone backup extractor, some handy python scripts, calibre and some patience.

I love my reader, and wouldn't trade it for a Kindle, but I love Amazon's lower prices and wider selection, so this really made me happy.
sith33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sounds like a lot of work
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
This is excellent. I can't wait to see Amazon prosecute people for buying stuff from them.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
This is excellent. I can't wait to see Amazon prosecute people for buying stuff from them.
It's not the "buying stuff from them" that's the problem. It's what you do with it afterwards that counts. If you break the law, you should be prosecuted. Full stop.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
ozan
Enthusiast
ozan began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
If one's user name is "sith", than it's no surprise that he/she works against the force and balance. This is natural
ozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
sith33
sith33 doesn't littersith33 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
sounds like a lot of work
Yeah, definitely is. But there have been a few books recently that I've had to buy in dead-tree because they weren't available on Connect, but were in the kindle store. Now there's another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
If you break the law, you should be prosecuted. Full stop.
Meh. History is full of bad laws that were only changed because people routinely broke them. The spirit of 17.1201 is to prevent wholesale piracy. I'm buying a book from a store and reading it. That won't weight too heavily on my conscience.

Now excuse me, I need to get back to selling interest only, adjustable rate subprime mortgages to unemployed teenagers. You know, legal stuff.

Last edited by sith33; 03-19-2009 at 03:51 PM.
sith33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
smurphy
Connoisseur
smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
once you have the right scripts, it's easy.
Have to state though, that on a Linux system, and having a little bit of Command-Line experience makes things way easyer... I even wrote a script to automate the process on all files in a directory when I buy a bulk of books at a time.

Works nice - and on a 2GHz Dual Core CPU, it's even quite fast
smurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I would really like to see Amazon offer multiple formats. I don't think they are serving themselve or the ebook industry by limiting their selection to kindle format.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not the "buying stuff from them" that's the problem. It's what you do with it afterwards that counts. If you break the law, you should be prosecuted. Full stop.
However, Harry .... keep in mind that whether or not someone is breaking the law sort of depends on which country they are in. It also makes a difference as to whether the government is going to take the time and resources to prosecute them.

If someone is purchasing digital books from Amazon and then choosing to read them on a device that is something other than an iPhone or a Kindle, and they are not distributing the books to others but are undertaking the DRM mangling totally for their own personal use, why would the government want to spend several thousand dollars prosecuting that individual?? It would be the perfect example of the "victimless crime."
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
However, Harry .... keep in mind that whether or not someone is breaking the law sort of depends on which country they are in. It also makes a difference as to whether the government is going to take the time and resources to prosecute them.

If someone is purchasing digital books from Amazon and then choosing to read them on a device that is something other than an iPhone or a Kindle, and they are not distributing the books to others but are undertaking the DRM mangling totally for their own personal use, why would the government want to spend several thousand dollars prosecuting that individual?? It would be the perfect example of the "victimless crime."
And that is why someone doing that will probably never be prosecuted, because the content owners will not want to see the DMCA invalidated by the courts, like with Fair Use and video. While I'm not volunteering (), it would be nice to see these issues settled by the courts sooner rather then later.

Last edited by ahintz; 03-19-2009 at 06:05 PM.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But, what is being done is fair use. And as of now, nobody has gone to court to see which the law would honor fair use or DMCA. So until then, it's a gray area and I don't see this changing until it does go to court. I'm on the side of fair use because the DMCA takes away fair use and a lot of other cases for different digital media has had fair use be the winner.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
i dont think the US prisons can hold anymore of these DMCA violators.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
The reality people probably wouldn't bother tinkering with trying to decrypt Kindle books if publishers treated all eReaders equally. It costs them not a penny more to sell a Kindle Book than it does a Sony LRX or other format book. Yet Kindle books that are $9.99 on Amazon are almost twice that price at other ebook stores.

Now you could say Amazon has better pricing power, but we are talking about digital bits here not physical inventory that has to be manufactured using raw materials. There really is no rationale reason why there is such a price disparity. I love my 505, but honestly I just can't bring myself to pay $18 for an LRX book.
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec2 View Post
The reality people probably wouldn't bother tinkering with trying to decrypt Kindle books if publishers treated all eReaders equally. It costs them not a penny more to sell a Kindle Book than it does a Sony LRX or other format book. Yet Kindle books that are $9.99 on Amazon are almost twice that price at other ebook stores.

Now you could say Amazon has better pricing power, but we are talking about digital bits here not physical inventory that has to be manufactured using raw materials. There really is no rationale reason why there is such a price disparity. I love my 505, but honestly I just can't bring myself to pay $18 for an LRX book.

Except Amazon is undercutting everyone else by subsidizing book prices to get to that $9.99 point in many cases.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Except Amazon is undercutting everyone else by subsidizing book prices to get to that $9.99 point in many cases.
Actually, we don't know this. Nobody has any hard facts to back it up. Maybe Amazon has managed to get the publishers to drop prices just for them. We just don't know.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote