Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your favourite animal as a pet?
Cat 45 39.13%
Dog 51 44.35%
Rabbit 4 3.48%
Rat 1 0.87%
Fish 4 3.48%
Goat 3 2.61%
Other 7 6.09%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #31
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Dogs for the win!

In more seriousness: I like cats too - and I wouldn't mind having both. But .. If I have to choose I will take dogs every time and w/o a second thought. I have fond memories of our family-dogs since I was a child of 6, and we always had a dog.
I remember so many fantastic moments with those dogs (and with my current dog!) - I would miss something in live if it wasnt for them. (Apart from my dog helping me - e.g. warning be before I walked into some boars).

@mklynds: Have a look at Pyrenean Shepherd. They are fantastic!
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:25 AM   #32
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Dogs for the win!

In more seriousness: I like cats too - and I wouldn't mind having both. But .. If I have to choose I will take dogs every time and w/o a second thought. I have fond memories of our family-dogs since I was a child of 6, and we always had a dog.
I remember so many fantastic moments with those dogs (and with my current dog!) - I would miss something in live if it wasnt for them. (Apart from my dog helping me - e.g. warning be before I walked into some boars).

Good to see you're back, hedgehog Missed ya!
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:28 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Dogs for the win!

That's why I'd love to get a dog again. I've always had an English Cocker Spaniel until she died way too early. I miss the walks with the dog, actually. The cats do follow (sometimes), but if they do, they'll probably hanging around your legs, making you trip.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #34
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
I used to have a pet goat when I was a kid.. They're not too much of a lap pet though.
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #35
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Who else jumps excitedly, wags their tale wildy, wants to give you lots of big slobbery kisses when you've just come back up the driveway after forgetting to grab your cellphone or whatever, like you've been gone for a week!
I do! I even wag my tales so wildy they are frequently met with doubts as to their veracity.

I like dogs and cats, but dogs, specifically Airedale Terriers, will always come first.

Cheers.
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #36
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
#1 is a rabbit.
#2 is a dog.

When was the last time you played fetch with a fish? Does a fish sit on your lap? Sure a goat isd great at recycling stuff, it just recycles everything. Give me a rabbit or a dog anyday.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #37
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I've been petting my rock for an hour and it hasn't purred or said a thing.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #38
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
When was the last time you played fetch with a fish? Does a fish sit on your lap? Sure a goat isd great at recycling stuff, it just recycles everything. Give me a rabbit or a dog anyday.
Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #39
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
When I get home this afternoon, my cat will walk between my legs, causing me to trip over him, giving me kisses, with his very scratchy tongue, and, as reward for me for cleaning his cat litter, drop something in there (even though he's just been outside for a full day). And when I'm sitting down to eat, he'll come demanding for attention (putting his head underneath my hand, and trying to give me kisses if I refuse to pet him...)

I noticed cats and dogs don't differ that much, they both demand attention, are noisy and smelly. (Yes, cats can be very noisy! ever seen a cat, sitting in front of a window, watching those birds... or two cats chasing one another all through the house, upstairs and downstairs...).
yes, it's true, although some more than others. of my two cats, one is very noisy, and very smelly (and loves to yawn right in your face, so you get the full benefit of her stinkiness !), and demands a lot of attention, constantly !! the other one is (generally...) more discrete, although she's been annoyingly dog-like too in the past days. at least if she has to yawn she does it in her own space so i can't say she's stinky !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That's why I'd love to get a dog again. I've always had an English Cocker Spaniel until she died way too early. I miss the walks with the dog, actually. The cats do follow (sometimes), but if they do, they'll probably hanging around your legs, making you trip.
that is a cat's favorite sport. also the "running ambush" best performed 1. in the dark, 2. at the top of the stairs (if possible), 3. when you are carrying a full cup of freshly-made (so very hot) tea, or other potentially dangerous handful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I do! I even wag my tales so wildy they are frequently met with doubts as to their veracity.
but we all love your enthusiasm.

Quote:
damned ungrateful pets... sheesh ! after all you've done for that rock, too !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #40
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Somewhere around here is a rock painted as a rabbit.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #41
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
does it purr ?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #42
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Just follow the little brown round pebbles and it won't be far.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #43
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
No contest, dogs win.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #44
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
My guess is that readers mostly prefer cats - cats will sit on a lap while you're reading. No problem.
Really? I haven't had that particular experience. Mine always try to sit on whatever it is that is taking attention away from them -- books, babies, computers, whatever.

My dogs have always been content to just sit near me, within arms reach. The cats have always insisted on being the center of attention.

I voted dogs because I find cats are too needy and distracting.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #45
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Really? I haven't had that particular experience. Mine always try to sit on whatever it is that is taking attention away from them -- books, babies, computers, whatever.

My dogs have always been content to just sit near me, within arms reach. The cats have always insisted on being the center of attention.

I voted dogs because I find cats are too needy and distracting.
yes actually i forgot to mention that, one of my cats is also really determined to prevent me from doing anything but pay attention to her. if i am working, she smacks my hand with her head and sends the mouse half way across the screen. and if i am reading... well, just look at the picture :