Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Sending books to Sony PRS505 & series

I have a lot of books that are part of Series. I usually like reading the series in order, but, when the books are downloaded to my 505, I have only the title and the author to go by. I am setting up the series in collection to better locate everything. Is there a way I can incorporate the series and series index into the title for downloading the book, so that I can easily choose which number in the series to read next instead of having to keep a title reference with me or look up the index in Calibre?

For example on my reader I see:
Title 1 author 1
Title 2 author 1

What I would like to see is:
Title 1 - series - 1 author 1
Title 1 - series - 2 author 1

Thanks
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
Is there a way I can incorporate the series and series index into the title for downloading the book, so that I can easily choose which number in the series to read next instead of having to keep a title reference with me or look up the index in Calibre?

No, Sony reads the metadata for title and currently you can't change the metadata title as books are transferred to the device. If you were just viewing file names you could do this.

The good news is you don't need to worry calibre handles series order fine. I haven't read any series out of order yet and I never have to refer to a title reference.

I have a 505 and I use the series in calibre to define my series then I have it set to create collections based on series when I send the books to the device.

If I want to ensure the books are in series order inside the series collection.

1. I delete any books of the series I wish to be in order from my device.
2. I sort by the series column in Calibre (ensuring they are in descending order in calibre).
3. I then highlight the entire series and send it to my device all at the same time.

Now they will be in series order inside the series collection on my 505.

Just to reassure myself I also insert a book jacket as the first page just past the cover in each book. Inserting the book jacket requires conversion of the book with the Insert metadata as page at start of book option checked under structure detection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata_page_insert_example.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	54196  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-27-2010 at 10:30 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Thank you. I will give that process a try, especially inserting the metadata into the file. I'm new and haven't gotten all the 'tricks' figured out yet, despite doing a lot of reading.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If I want to ensure the books are in series order inside the series collection.

1. I delete any books of the series I wish to be in order from my device.
2. I sort by the series column in Calibre (ensuring they are in descending order in calibre).
3. I then highlight the entire series and send it to my device all at the same time.
In theory, steps 1 and 2 are no longer necessary, and step 3 can be reduced to sending only books that have changed. Series collections have been sorted into series order by the Sony driver since 0.7.1. It does the sort when any book in the series is sent to the device.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by chaley; 06-29-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: grammar
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
In theory, steps 1 and 2 is no longer necessary, and step 3 can be reduced to sending only books that have changed. Series collections have been sorted into series order by the Sony driver since 0.7.1. It does the sort when any book in the series is sent to the device.
Excellent! I was relatively sure that a fix had been put in and knew you would follow with more precise information. Since I had not tested the changes I stuck with what I knew worked. I'll have to give it a try and see if it will add 3.5 in the proper order between 3 and 4.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert