Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
curly quotes

My book has curly quotes but only straight quotes show up in Sigil book view. I presume it is because of the fonts used in Sigil. It there a way to see the curly quotes so I can check that this is working correctly?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Actually, I'm interested in the answer to this, as well, because correlating the quotes has been a real issue for me; in CV, Sigil seems to distinquish between curly quotes and straight quotes in what I see with my eyes, but I can't seem to figure out an easy way to correct the quotes--whether I'm typing in CV or BV, straight quotes are inserted and that's what shows up in the finished product. The standard &ldquot; and &rdquot; display differently than the rest of my books; to make everything match, I have to cut-and-paste existing quotes from inside the text to the new text (or over the quote that is incorrectly displaying).

In other words, I don't understand what is going on behind the scenes that's making them come out differently. CV gives me no clues to this, and if this is one of those "everybody knows that..." items, I'm not one of the everybodies. ;-) Thx in advance for any helpful input!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Curly quotes are separate unicode characters from "normal" straight quotes. I see the curly ones just fine with Sigil. The font-substitution engine should pick them up with no problems if the default font doesn't have them.

The default font sometimes makes it a bit hard to tell the curly ones from the normal ones, but the difference is there. The Code View uses a monospaced font and should always show the difference clearly.

It's possible that curly quotes are not being rendered properly on your machines. Try loading Zelda's Three men in a boat epub in Sigil. That uses curly quotes that show up just fine on my machine. If they don't show up for you, then that's a problem.

But when you type in quotes, Sigil will not insert curly ones for you automatically. I said everything I'm going to say on the topic in response to issue 275, and you can look there for the explanations why it unfortunately works the way it does.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi:

I wasn't trying to be...I dunno, pissy?...about the curly quotes; I'm trying to understand what happens and why. What confuses my wee brain is that if I use the standard html “ or ” to type the curlies in CV (or BV) I get something different than the curly quotes rendered when I've imported a document from Word->stripped html->Sigil. I'm not having issues with rendering or being unable to see; I'm getting different types of quotes--in other words, THREE different types--and just trying to wrap my noggin around how to facilitate getting consistent quote types, whatever it takes. Apparently I inadvertently wandered into a heated topic. Sorry.

Hitch
Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I wasn't trying to be...I dunno, pissy?...about the curly quotes; I'm trying to understand what happens and why.
Why do you think that I thought you were being "pissy"? I thought your question was perfectly acceptable.

Quote:
What confuses my wee brain is that if I use the standard html “ or ” to type the curlies in CV (or BV) I get something different than the curly quotes rendered when I've imported a document from Word->stripped html->Sigil. I'm not having issues with rendering or being unable to see; I'm getting different types of quotes--in other words, THREE different types--and just trying to wrap my noggin around how to facilitate getting consistent quote types, whatever it takes.
That's freaking weird. Could you make an epub that displays these three different sets and then upload it to the tracker?

Quote:
Apparently I inadvertently wandered into a heated topic. Sorry.
Um... what? It's not a heated topic, and I'm not angry. There was a rather unpleasant guy on the tracker but that's his problem. It was a long time ago.

You have nothing to apologize for.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Why do you think that I thought you were being "pissy"? I thought your question was perfectly acceptable.
I think it was your sentence about having said all you were going to say on the subject; sounded like we'd wandered into touchy territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric
That's freaking weird. Could you make an epub that displays these three different sets and then upload it to the tracker?
Yup, lemme see what I can scramble together. I did a chapter yesterday in which I had the problem; if I copy and paste the page into another epub file with the same stylesheet, I think it should work-or not-relatively the same. I'm a bit tied up for a day or so, but I'll try to get to it quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric
Um... what? It's not a heated topic, and I'm not angry. There was a rather unpleasant guy on the tracker but that's his problem. It was a long time ago.

You have nothing to apologize for.
Misread the intent of your post. No worries!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I'm not having issues with rendering or being unable to see; I'm getting different types of quotes--in other words, THREE different types--and just trying to wrap my noggin around how to facilitate getting consistent quote types, whatever it takes.
The first step is to isolate the problem:
Take a document with your imported Word->stripped html->Sigil code and delete everything except a paragraph with curly quotes. Add a paragraph with straight quotes typed in from the keyboard and add another paragraph with '“'[etc] html entities.

If the curly quotes look different in Sigil, export the epub and view it in ADE or calibre's viewer. If the curly quotes still look different, then you need to upload the test file for more detailed analysis, but my guess is that this is a minor rendering bug that needs to be fixed, but won't affect what actually ends up in the epub.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote