Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
MentalFear
MentalFear began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader PRS300
Charging the PRS300!

Hello all!

After lurking for a while, reading all of the interesting (and not so interesting) topics here on the forum, I decided that I wanted a portable ereader, and dont need a whole lot of extra features. The PRS300 should arrive on my doorstep in a couple of hours.

Now I read somewhere that you can charge your ereader with a PSP charger, but not with a standard USB (ipod) wall plug.

Has anyone tried the USB wall plug that came with the PSP Go? I dont dare to try without knowing for sure. New gadgets shouldnt explode. On day one.

So, hope to speak to you guys often!

Mark

Edit: The Go USB charger is 5 volt, and legitimate from Sony. And to restate my question, can someone with more tech knowledge tell me if there is any risk in trying?

Last edited by MentalFear; 10-27-2009 at 08:43 AM.
MentalFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Mark--I'm sure you'll get some more technical answers but as long as the wall charger plugs into the USB port on the Reader, it will NOT charge it. If it plugs onto the yellow round port and it's made to charge a PSP, it should charge the reader fine.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
MentalFear

Thanks, but because I stated my problem so poorly, I now don't exactly understand your answer.

What Im wondering now, is what kind of cable do you get with your Sony? Is there a charging cable AND a data transfer cable included? I was assuming somehow Sony had combined the data transfer and charger in one cable. So if I were to put the USB end into a sony pspgo wallcharger, it would charge.

Clearly Im wrong?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalFear View Post
Thanks, but because I stated my problem so poorly, I now don't exactly understand your answer.

What Im wondering now, is what kind of cable do you get with your Sony? Is there a charging cable AND a data transfer cable included? I was assuming somehow Sony had combined the data transfer and charger in one cable. So if I were to put the USB end into a sony pspgo wallcharger, it would charge.

Clearly Im wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. Sony includes a USB A male to USB mini male cable for charging and data transfer. This cable is not unique, but it must be plugged into an intelligent device, i.e. a computer, for charging.
The reader will not charge through the USB socket if the cable is plugged into any other USB power source. However, you can charge the reader via the round DC power socket with a PSP type charger, or a USB to DC plug adapter cable. This adapter cable can be plugged into any USB socket - not just a computer.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
If you want a cable to charge your Reader from any usb port (including a wall charger), then pick up a PSP data/power cable. It will charge and transfer data.

As noted above, it is ALWAYS best and safest to charge ANY Reader through the ROUND YELLOW POWER PORT, and NOT the usb port. This has now been addressed in these forums over 2,500 times.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
MentalFear

Thanks a lot guys, its crystal clear now!

Now where did i leave my psp charger...
Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
FWIW, mine arrived with a full charge and, after close to 2 months of daily heavy use (except for a few days last week when I was laid out with the ache won, in won) I have never yet had to charge it-- background charging during normal reconnects to the USB port to shuffle files around have been sufficient.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
FWIW, mine arrived with a full charge and, after close to 2 months of daily heavy use (except for a few days last week when I was laid out with the ache won, in won) I have never yet had to charge it-- background charging during normal reconnects to the USB port to shuffle files around have been sufficient.
Clearly you are not reading enough!

But my experience has been the same as yours. Charging the 300 seems to be a rare event. I did pick up a PSP charger for 5 bucks on eBay to keep in my travel briefcase, just in case. But it's begining to look like I wasted my money on the charger.

Last edited by Harmon; 11-01-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:37 AM   #9
MentalFear

That sounds amazing. As a psp, dsi, nokia, asus eee and ipod user i have too much to charge daily already!

Shouldnt you always charge the battery for 12 hours the first time though, or is that a myth?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalFear View Post
Shouldnt you always charge the battery for 12 hours the first time though, or is that a myth?
I don't know if it is a good idea or not having the battery always being topped off, but it is unavoidable for it to start recharging as soon as you plug it into a USB port of the computer, so that is kinda moot.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote