Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Apple iBook/iTablet Coming in Q1?

The drumbeat is getting louder. Much louder, in fact:

"The sources indicated they believe the tablet PC features will focus more on e-book functionality rather than music, and that based on Apple's marketing strategy, long battery life, quick Internet connectivity and an easy-to-use user interface will be key features of the device."

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/07/a...shipping-in-q1

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...ead-different/

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20091007PD225.html

Last edited by sforce; 10-07-2009 at 11:59 AM.
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'm a little leery of believing that Apple is going to focus more on reading then other stuff on the Tablet.

From what I've gleaned from reading around, and looking at Apple's past behaviour, its much more likely to be more Media and Web focused like the iPhone or Touch.

While eBooks may be supported, It's probably going to be a minor point as opposed to the primary focus. Keep in mind that the majority of people only read a couple of books a year, while about 10% of the population buy 80% of books.

As such just focusing on readers while a good market, does not meet Apple's usual focus of meeting and addressing Mass market needs. Keeping in mind the success (Not) of their only Niche product on their Product Sheet, The Apple TV, I think its unlikely they are going to go for a another more narrowly focused device.

Focusing on Media on the other hand, especially with the new Digital LP's they just introduce does make more sense. Coupling it with a good App store (and Offering Background Processing) you could have a good device to handle Web, email, Media consumption and simple document creation, Most of what Netbooks are really used for nowadays, but in a more compact and friendly interface.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I've always envisioned such an Apple Tablet being used as a Universal Remote for the Apple TV and other devices --- adding in the ability to display the appropriate LP feature in iTunes would get us back to the heady old days of lounging around flipping through albums and 45s.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm interested to see how the Apple tablet pans out. But skeptical it will have all the stylus annotation, note taking etc. that us academic or business users need/want.

I expect it to be catered more toward the mass market with books, magazines, internet, music, video etc. and probably just have finger gestures like the iPhone. But we'll see.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
While eBooks may be supported, It's probably going to be a minor point as opposed to the primary focus. Keep in mind that the majority of people only read a couple of books a year, while about 10% of the population buy 80% of books.
It doesn't matter if ebooks are Apple's focus or not, to an extent, because we would have a number of ebook applications available for it through the appstore (stanza and so on). So it would be capable of doing ebooks very very well and app developers would constantly be improving their applications for it.

However if Apple don't push that aspect, it means less publisher integration with the itunes store and that means a missed opportunity to provide a lot more competition in the marketplace. Once you have a B&N vs Amazon vs iTunes standoff in the ebook marketplace you can expect prices to come down much faster.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
"zomg Apple Tablet will be out RSN" rumors have been around for years. I seriously doubt it will happen, it's a pretty useless device -- as the floundering of tablet PC's to find an audience has already demonstrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
However if Apple don't push that aspect, it means less publisher integration with the itunes store and that means a missed opportunity to provide a lot more competition in the marketplace. Once you have a B&N vs Amazon vs iTunes standoff in the ebook marketplace you can expect prices to come down much faster.
1) Amazon is the primary driver for getting publishers to lower the cost of ebooks. The less clout they have, the longer it will take for publishers to knuckle under.

(And keep in mind that in most cases, the cost of making an ebook is only about 12-15% lower than making a paper book. So there really isn't that much lower ebook pricing can go.)

2) Publishers repeatedly say they don't want the ebook biz to wind up like, well... the iTunes Store situation. I doubt the publishers will rush forth to work with Apple, especially since Apple will set their own pricing and do everything it can to jam it down the publisher's throats.

3) There is no particular reason for Apple to set up its own bookstore. The iTunes store makes some money, but the main goal is to drive iPhone sales. Why bang your head against a bunch of ornery Luddite publishers, when Amazon and B&N already do that for you, and drive your sales? And why should a publisher bother to go through the iTunes Store, when they can just make their own books into iPhone apps, and sell it for whatever price they want?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I'm a little leery of believing that Apple is going to focus more on reading then other stuff on the Tablet.

From what I've gleaned from reading around, and looking at Apple's past behaviour, its much more likely to be more Media and Web focused like the iPhone or Touch.

I am with you on this one. Probably it will focus yet on e-book functionality as it is kind of a new one for them but for sure, Steve Jobs does want to hit the masses and not just a specific targeted user. So, probably it's also going to be a multimedia device but i doubt (with how larger it is than my iPhone), if i will make that my iPod/music device. LOL

btw, it feels good to have an end to all these rumor.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
"zomg Apple Tablet will be out RSN" rumors have been around for years. I seriously doubt it will happen, it's a pretty useless device -- as the floundering of tablet PC's to find an audience has already demonstrated.
That's because tablet PCs largely suck and are poorly marketed.

Most are the size and weight of laptops--that's useless for me. Many didn't have real stylus "touch anywhere" support and just moved a cursor around the screen--though I think that's changed.

I think a smaller, lighter, A4 paper sized or smaller tablet could take off if marketed properly.

I don't need a tablet PC. I need a touch screen, electronic sheet of paper essentially. That I can use for reading academic books and articles and highlighting and scribbling notes in the margins like I do on real paper now. Also for taking notes in meetings and so on.

Do that well, and market it right and that can take off. Tablet PCs are too bulky and heavy for that use. Might as well just carry a laptop to meetings and stick with paper books and printouts.

Do that well and add in PDA functions (also huge need for the academic/business crowd that needs the above functions) and it will sell even better. Add in full net surfing, light e-mail, video, games, random apps etc. and sells go further.

I think people on this site have to realize no tablet will be a primary e-reading device. It will really be something for the business and academic type markets who can use it in place of their printed documents, in place of paper for note taking, etc. etc. and that leisure reading wouldn't be a big selling point as it's more comfortable to read a novel on a 5" or 6" reader. Tablets with their bigger screens could do newspapers and magazines better though.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote